RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

22 hours ago, CooL said:

Well, camp reports had him looking AWFUL.  The coaches were being motivational for him because he has a fragile ego and they didn't want him to lose the little confidence he apparently had.  And everybody was saying that Dare was the passing back, and he was going to perhaps easily leapfrog the pedestrian Barber and awful looking Jones.  Combine that with the history of Arians wanting a back that can pass block.  So it made sense that Jones would be the least rosterable of the three.  Murphy's law of course would have him showing the best yesterday.  Now I'm likely going to drop Dare to try to get RJ back.

I know of the reports, but those were conflicting. He was banged up a little so that hindered his progress. However, when given opportunities he was said to be improving on his catching and “getting it”. Seeing Barber for the past I know what he is. RoJo is the only piece with clear upside. He was my first draft target of the two. Of course late rounds. The thing is, even if Arians didn’t draft RoJo he’s a high investment. So he’s going to get his chance to be the guy. Even if that means they will trade him later.

• Like 1

@sSektor

Thanks for posting that vid.  It really gives some context to the numbers in the boxscore.  He looked pretty good.  Considering how bad he's been, and how bad he's been talked about, I'm pretty excited watching that vid.  He had some decent holes, hit them pretty well, showed some speed, some pop, and enough cut back ability.  I'm encouraged for sure. 

I'd gobble him up if he is available in your league.  He isn't in any of my 12 teamers.  

• Like 3

Plays thursday in Carolina. Tough matchup but if he outproduces Barber again and the Bucs lose (which they probably will) then the writing is on the wall for the situation. Arians was incredibly stubborn with a rookie David Johnson in 2015 from what I recall but Jones at least isn't a rookie so he might get the carries quicker.

6 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Plays thursday in Carolina. Tough matchup but if he outproduces Barber again and the Bucs lose (which they probably will) then the writing is on the wall for the situation. Arians was incredibly stubborn with a rookie David Johnson in 2015 from what I recall but Jones at least isn't a rookie so he might get the carries quicker.

Actually, the matchup is great. The Rams against the run last week were terrible. RoJo sits on my bench and hopefully has a coming out party. Thursday night sets up perfectly for him. I’m thinking he takes advantage of it. I can’t say I’m “put him in your lineup confident”, but I do believe this is going to be his night.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Actually, the matchup is great. The Rams against the run last week were terrible. RoJo sits on my bench and hopefully has a coming out party. Thursday night sets up perfectly for him. I’m thinking he takes advantage of it. I can’t say I’m “put him in your lineup confident”, but I do believe this is going to be his night.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the Panthers run defense being bad just because Gurley did well against them. The Rams with a (somewhat) healthy Gurley can run on any team. And the Bucs line definitely isn't as good as the Rams.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sSektor said:

I wouldn't put too much stock into the Panthers run defense being bad just because Gurley did well against them. The Rams with a (somewhat) healthy Gurley can run on any team. And the Bucs line definitely isn't as good as the Rams.

I’m talking about Malcolm Brown’s 11-53-2 and 4.8 ypc. Supposedly, RoJo is much more talented than Brown. I wasn’t even referring to what Gurley did. And yeah, the Rams o-line is better, but Carolina was just outside that bottom tier against the run last year.

Edited by FitzMagic

5 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I’m talking about Malcolm Brown’s 11-53-2 and 4.8 ypc. Supposedly, RoJo is much more talented than Brown. I wasn’t even referring to what Gurley did. 

Is he more talented than Brown?   I haven't watched enough of either of them.  

9 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Is he more talented than Brown?   I haven't watched enough of either of them.  

He’s supposed to be, but we haven’t seen it yet. SF and Carolina were both pretty similar against the run last year. RoJo did some damage in Week 1. If he looks good again, I’d say so. So, while people say TBs offensive line is not good, then that means RoJo’s stat line is even more impressive.

I think RoJo is probably the best running back lotto ticket after week 1 going right now. Bruce Arians has been gushing about him. Clearly has huge upside here. Certainly worth a top waiver to see how this plays out.

• Like 1

Via Bruce Arians from Scott Smith Verified on twitter Retweeted by the TB verified twitter 

-Backfield rotation will stay the same, Barber starts, Rojo comes in to spell, if he has the hot hand again, will stick with him until needs a break

1 minute ago, kmoore1521 said:

Via Bruce Arians from Scott Smith Verified on twitter Retweeted by the TB verified twitter 

-Backfield rotation will stay the same, Barber starts, Rojo comes in to spell, if he has the hot hand again, will stick with him until needs a break

Yeah you would imagine it takes more than one game to make an official change.  

The door is wide open Mr Jones.    

• Like 2

Lord I hope he takes it this time instead of pulling it shut and saying burr it's cold and drafty out there...kick the door open please..

• Like 1

Talent tends to win out.  If Jones builds on week 1 and shows that same talent we saw on tape then the bulk of the touches should go to him.  Big week I think.  If he reverts back to 7 carries for 12 yards then a lot of air will be leaving the balloon.

Surprised there isn't more fanfare in here. He clearly looked like the best back out there last week. 

Koetter is no longer running this gong show. Arians isn't a stubborn coach who sticks to one game plan. He'll adapt around his personnel. If Rojo ends up separating himself, look out.

David Johnson is a great RB, but part of that comes from the coach putting them in a position to succeed. Arians did that and more for DJ. 

I had my eye on this backfield going into the season only because Arians was at the helm. I just wasn't sure who to pick up so I stayed away during the draft. I think it's pretty clear at this point that if anyone has the potential to take this backfield it's Rojo. Grab him while you can, and stash.

Edited by street sharks

Did this guy suddenly learn how to play football or did he just accumulate stats on Sunday?  (I didn't watch this dumpster fire of a matchup.)

15 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Surprised there isn't more fanfare in here. He clearly looked like the best back out there last week. 

Koetter is no longer running this gong show. Arians isn't a stubborn coach who sticks to one game plan. He'll adapt around his personnel. If Rojo ends up separating himself, look out.

David Johnson is a great RB, but part of that comes from the coach putting them in a position to succeed. Arians did that and more for DJ. 

I had my eye on this backfield going into the season only because Arians was at the helm. I just wasn't sure who to pick up so I stayed away during the draft. I think it's pretty clear at this point that if anyone has the potential to take this backfield it's Rojo. Grab him while you can, and stash.

I think he's a clear add if you have the space, especially on Yahoo! this week because you can throw him on your bench and drop him if he sucks. HOWEVER, let's not pretend that this is all Dirk Koetter's fault. Jones looked like garbage throughout the preseason. We'll see how he plays going forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Did this guy suddenly learn how to play football or did he just accumulate stats on Sunday?  (I didn't watch this dumpster fire of a matchup.)

Both maybe? 5.8 ypc and looked good doing it

15 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Both maybe? 5.8 ypc and looked good doing it

His 18 yard catch on a 3rd and 17 was the most impressive play of the day too. Showed me and more importantly Arians (hopefully) that he could be a real-life difference maker. 

22 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

I think he's a clear add if you have the space, especially on Yahoo! this week because you can throw him on your bench and drop him if he sucks. HOWEVER, let's not pretend that this is all Dirk Koetter's fault. Jones looked like garbage throughout the preseason. We'll see how he plays going forward.

He had knee swelling and soreness. This was commonly known, yet people say he looked like garbage without putting it in proper context. That’s a very legitimate reason to look like garbage. He’s healthy now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3