RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

I was contemplating him as my next roster casualty should a need on the wire arise after last weeks performance (and touch count) but then yesterday happens and you realize the potential that's there.  I wish they would just give the kid the chance to sink or swim with a lead backs worth of touches but I'm not sure that's going to happen at the moment.  We forget that Tampa is trying to win real games, not fantasy ones.  I do think the kid is being worked into the lead role though.  2 of the 3 games he's had 14 carries and produced.  The 2 catches in those 2 games for 59 yards tell me he isn't a total zero as a receiver.  I'm holding on to see if he slowly gets the gig here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dicka24 said:

I was contemplating him as my next roster casualty should a need on the wire arise after last weeks performance (and touch count) but then yesterday happens and you realize the potential that's there.  I wish they would just give the kid the chance to sink or swim with a lead backs worth of touches but I'm not sure that's going to happen at the moment.  We forget that Tampa is trying to win real games, not fantasy ones.  I do think the kid is being worked into the lead role though.  2 of the 3 games he's had 14 carries and produced.  The 2 catches in those 2 games for 59 yards tell me he isn't a total zero as a receiver.  I'm holding on to see if he slowly gets the gig here.

 

 

 

I was in the same boat.   Thinking he was my next cut.  But after seeing him do well again and given the lack of decent RB on my waiver, I'm going to hold on to him.  

Agree that he's not as bad as pass catcher as it's been reported. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

I was contemplating him as my next roster casualty should a need on the wire arise after last weeks performance (and touch count) but then yesterday happens and you realize the potential that's there.  I wish they would just give the kid the chance to sink or swim with a lead backs worth of touches but I'm not sure that's going to happen at the moment.  We forget that Tampa is trying to win real games, not fantasy ones.  I do think the kid is being worked into the lead role though.  2 of the 3 games he's had 14 carries and produced.  The 2 catches in those 2 games for 59 yards tell me he isn't a total zero as a receiver.  I'm holding on to see if he slowly gets the gig here.

 

 

 

1 hour ago, K197040 said:

 

I was in the same boat.   Thinking he was my next cut.  But after seeing him do well again and given the lack of decent RB on my waiver, I'm going to hold on to him.  

Agree that he's not as bad as pass catcher as it's been reported. 


Same. 
I know YPC is a really bad stat, so his 5.3 vs Barbers 3.7 isn't really a big deal,but every time Jones gets the ball and there is any kind of hole he explodes through, can make a guy miss and runs over people. Barber is just a boring plodder. 

But I also get the sense that Arians is content going with the "hot hand" which makes it really tough to start Jones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, K197040 said:

 

I was in the same boat.   Thinking he was my next cut.  But after seeing him do well again and given the lack of decent RB on my waiver, I'm going to hold on to him.  

Agree that he's not as bad as pass catcher as it's been reported. 

 

He WAS my next cut... last week... sigh... at least I got MVS out of it, but now I've gotta decide if I want to dip too far into FAAB to make it happen... Is he going to be this inconsistent going forward? Was Week 2 really just lingering injury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MrPositive said:

The problem here is consistency and catching. He has 4 catches in 19 games! So in ppr, you are REALLY rolling the dice starting him. Not to mention the Bucs lost and you just know Arians will want to go back to Barber to try the slow game for a win again. Basically, I want to see two good games in a row first...

Of course its consistency which is why he's a hold until we see more from this. But I feel for anyone who dropped this guy. Getting him back from waivers will be expensive now.

 

As I mentioned earlier, if he keeps this up he could be a good flex player or even sub during bye weeks. That is all I ask is that they keep giving him opportunities. He's still only 22 and learning the game.  Everyone wants instant stars....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dicka24 said:

I was contemplating him as my next roster casualty should a need on the wire arise after last weeks performance (and touch count) but then yesterday happens and you realize the potential that's there.  I wish they would just give the kid the chance to sink or swim with a lead backs worth of touches but I'm not sure that's going to happen at the moment.  We forget that Tampa is trying to win real games, not fantasy ones.  I do think the kid is being worked into the lead role though.  2 of the 3 games he's had 14 carries and produced.  The 2 catches in those 2 games for 59 yards tell me he isn't a total zero as a receiver.  I'm holding on to see if he slowly gets the gig here.

 

 

You are correct in that TB wants to win games and Arians doesn't want to give this kid a full workload yet. It might be a true even split all year. But please don't go giving this guy only 3-4 touches next game, like in game 2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

 


Same. 
I know YPC is a really bad stat, so his 5.3 vs Barbers 3.7 isn't really a big deal,but every time Jones gets the ball and there is any kind of hole he explodes through, can make a guy miss and runs over people. Barber is just a boring plodder. 

But I also get the sense that Arians is content going with the "hot hand" which makes it really tough to start Jones. 

YPC can definitely be misconstrued and used not in good faith, but watching Jones these 3 weeks, I think it's generally a pretty honest assesment of his work. He doesn't have a 65 yard run amid a myriad of negative and non-gains (ala Fournette on TNF).. He has been constantly ripping off 6-12 yard runs, blasting through holes, and looking great doing it. It's only a matter of time until he's a reliable RB2-3 with some guaranteed weekly work, though I do fear that Barber will be a thorn in his side capping his upside all year long.

Edited by Olliemets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

You are correct in that TB wants to win games and Arians doesn't want to give this kid a full workload yet. It might be a true even split all year. But please don't go giving this guy only 3-4 touches next game, like in game 2.

I watched all of week 2 and waited for a blurb to come out stating he had a minor injury of some sort, but nothing ever came. In week 2 on his last carry he can be seen wincing as he jogged back to the sideline. I think something happened that caused them to tread on the side of caution. No one can say they feel comfortable starting him given the inconsistent touches, but next weed could confirm whether week 2 was an outlier or part of Arians madness. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thejamman said:

I watched all of week 2 and waited for a blurb to come out stating he had a minor injury of some sort, but nothing ever came. In week 2 on his last carry he can be seen wincing as he jogged back to the sideline. I think something happened that caused them to tread on the side of caution. No one can say they feel comfortable starting him given the inconsistent touches, but next weed could confirm whether week 2 was an outlier or part of Arians madness. 

When in a bye week I'll just start both. Until I see otherwise from this coaching staff, I consider both unplayable on a normal week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thejamman said:

I watched all of week 2 and waited for a blurb to come out stating he had a minor injury of some sort, but nothing ever came. In week 2 on his last carry he can be seen wincing as he jogged back to the sideline. I think something happened that caused them to tread on the side of caution. No one can say they feel comfortable starting him given the inconsistent touches, but next weed could confirm whether week 2 was an outlier or part of Arians madness. 

 

He got dinged up and Barber was doing just enough so they didn't really need to bring him back in the game. 

With that said, Barber has started all 3 games and is on the field more often. I think Jones can eventually take over, but there is no way of knowing when Bruce "I rather take  a penalty and make my struggling kicker kick from 5 yards further out" Arians will do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

 

He got dinged up and Barber was doing just enough so they didn't really need to bring him back in the game. 

With that said, Barber has started all 3 games and is on the field more often. I think Jones can eventually take over, but there is no way of knowing when Bruce "I rather take  a penalty and make my struggling kicker kick from 5 yards further out" Arians will do. 

 

it was still like a 35 yarder, media and such really digging too deep into this just so they can have a story haha

 

but yea Rojo looks like the homerun hitter, even if he takes majority of the workload Barber will prob always be the goal-line back

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jsch08 said:

This guy has to eventually take over, right?


Still the "wait and see" approach. I have Barber and Jones in a couple leagues and I'm not dropping either until one establishes as the lead RB.

Edited by Idoolittle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:


Still the "wait and see" approach. I have Barber and Jones in a couple leagues and I'm not dropping either until one establishes as the lead RB.

What if the whole season goes by and neither of them does and you realize you have held on tightly to two TB turds all year? It’s a sh**y position to be in. Glad I only have Rojo.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can Barber really “take over” at this point? Don’t we kind of know what he is already? It either stays as a committee or Rojo eventually takes over with more consistency. Rojo could get hurt of course, but not sure Barber really does anything in that scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2015 BA stuck with the veteran Chris Johnson for 11 weeks who was averaging 18 Carries per game 4.2YPC while rookie David Johnson was averaging 8 Carries per game 4.6YPC. 

 

I hope RoJo takes over but I’m not expecting it anytime soon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nromn said:

What if the whole season goes by and neither of them does and you realize you have held on tightly to two TB turds all year? It’s a sh**y position to be in. Glad I only have Rojo.


I should clarify, I will drop one of them if a starting RB emerges due to injury or something like that. But I'd rather hold onto both of these guys for now than go after guys like Darrell Williams, Darwin Thompson, Ty Johnson, etc. Just have a better shot at one of these guys emerging as they can do so just by performing better where the others are waiting on injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jsch08 said:

Can Barber really “take over” at this point? Don’t we kind of know what he is already? It either stays as a committee or Rojo eventually takes over with more consistency. Rojo could get hurt of course, but not sure Barber really does anything in that scenario.

 

I can't see Barber taking over but as a Jones owner all I really care about is whether Jones will eventually take over. He seems ready to take over. He has run better behind the same o-line. Hasn't had any major issues (fumbles/drops/blocking). 

So really it's just a matter of when an old school coach that is capable of intentionally (or at least foolishly doing so with a timeout in his back pocket) taking a 5 yard penalty to force his kicker into a longer FG is going to make the smart move.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TennisDude said:

Been here and done this 3 times now. I’m exhausted.

Only 3 times? I hung on to Henry in multiple keeper leagues since he was drafted.... talk about being exhausted.  As for Jones, he was a late flier or even a WW pick-up this year.  If he continues to get close to 15 touches a game he could very well be a solid flex play down the stretch. Give it some time to play out. Can't rush good things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

 

I can't see Barber taking over but as a Jones owner all I really care about is whether Jones will eventually take over. He seems ready to take over. He has run better behind the same o-line. Hasn't had any major issues (fumbles/drops/blocking). 

So really it's just a matter of when an old school coach that is capable of intentionally (or at least foolishly doing so with a timeout in his back pocket) taking a 5 yard penalty to force his kicker into a longer FG is going to make the smart move.  

Hopefully with Goodwin and Evans balling out it should give a bit more room to run the ball. Even setting up some passing opportunities for Jones would be great. I think this offense is still learning but as we know with Arians it will be a mixed bag each week as to who is featured.  Lots of weapons on here and could be some good scoring opportunities for the RBs. Lets hope it ends up being Jones more often than not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance this bum will become fantasy relevant this season?  The opportunity is there, I suppose, although the talent isn't.  Has this guy really caught nine passes in his career?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Any chance this bum will become fantasy relevant this season?  The opportunity is there, I suppose, although the talent isn't.  Has this guy really caught nine passes in his career?

giphy.gif

Talent is there. You can look at this season to see that. I did not see the first game, but I saw the last two and he got a little banged up in Week 2. He looked really good in Week 3. Not sure why you'd call him a bum when he hasn't even been given a legitimate shot to succeed or fail.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Idoolittle said:


I should clarify, I will drop one of them if a starting RB emerges due to injury or something like that. But I'd rather hold onto both of these guys for now than go after guys like Darrell Williams, Darwin Thompson, Ty Johnson, etc. Just have a better shot at one of these guys emerging as they can do so just by performing better where the others are waiting on injuries.

At this point I am taking the clear talent. Barber is what he is and he's never starting for anybody in fantasy unless they are desperate for an injury or bye fill-in. He's the JAG of all JAGs and no better than a backup. RoJo is the only chance to take. I can't justify holding two spots anymore. Looking at the stupid decisions by the coaching staff from Sunday, I wouldn't be shocked if things don't pan out with RoJo. But at least it will be only one mistake by me instead of two. The RBs you mentioned are fine to pass on, but the Giants have an opening now. I'd even have him over Barber.

Edited by FitzMagic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.