RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Any chance this bum will become fantasy relevant this season?  The opportunity is there, I suppose, although the talent isn't.  Has this guy really caught nine passes in his career?

This guy didn't dress for 7 games last year and then barely got any play for the games he was dressed for. Different coach last year so not sure what you want to make of his "career" so far. 2018 is pretty much a write-off if you want to know if Jones is any good or not.

 

Now looking at 2019, with the new system, that will help us determine if this guy is worth holding and so far he's definitely a hold. So far this year it shows he has 2 targets and he has caught them both. 18 and 41 yards. Game 1 he had 13 carries for 79 yards and Game 3 he had 14 carries for 80 years.  Not too shabby. Let's see what happens week 4. I may even roll him out in week 4 in one of my leagues.  I believe in this guys and I drafted him in 3 leagues.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved Ronald Jones coming out of USC, but so far as a pro he has disappointed.  Shouldn't have been so hard for him to beat out JAG Peyton Barber, but so far it has been.  Definitely keeping an eye on him, but hard to see him really reaching his full fantasy potential until Barber either gets injured or is benched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Loved Ronald Jones coming out of USC, but so far as a pro he has disappointed.  Shouldn't have been so hard for him to beat out JAG Peyton Barber, but so far it has been.  Definitely keeping an eye on him, but hard to see him really reaching his full fantasy potential until Barber either gets injured or is benched.



It will be too late at that point. Hes a different player this season and can breakout any week.
 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:



It will be too late at that point. Hes a different player this season and can breakout any week.
 

 

 

 

I like it, but why is Arians stubbornly sticking with Barber?  He's one of the worst starting backs in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

 

I like it, but why is Arians stubbornly sticking with Barber?  He's one of the worst starting backs in the NFL.

Because Jones is still learning and the coaches believe he still has a ways to go.  Having said that I hope the week 2 (4 touches) was just an outlier and he keeps getting 15 touches a game.  If he starts to push 20 then we are laughing but the coaches are taking this slow.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No point in discussing why arians is sticking with barber, it is what it is and its not like rojo got 2 carries, he got one more than barber. The important thing here is that rojo has looked good so far, he's taking advantage of his carries and he's worth a bench spot for sure. I cant start him yet but if he performs next week as well then we might have something really good there. I really believe in this kid, I think the talent is there and it looks like hes getting it together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

 

I like it, but why is Arians stubbornly sticking with Barber?  He's one of the worst starting backs in the NFL.


'Known devil is better than the unknown Angel"

It takes time for positional moves to happen. Arians likely wants to make sure Jones is 100% ready before handing him the keys to the backfield. 

Excluding Week 2 when Jones tweaked his ankle and never returned, it looks like snaps are split 33/33/33 between the 3 backs. There is not a lead back IMO. Barber only saw 67% of snaps week 2 because Jones exited. This nugget of info tells me 66% of backfield is Jones/Barber while Dare is locked into his own 33%. (Note Dare lost some snap share in week 3)

Note: Via PFF, Jones is the highest rated rusher, receiver, and pass blocker on the team. Again, yes, it is a small sample but via PFF Ronald Jones is currently rated as the 4th best RB in the league.

Names ahead of him are Cook, Jacobs, and Ingram. So the analytical/statistical numbers are matching what Im seeing with the eye test.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can a player breakout when he has a partner getting 10-15 touches a week, NO MATTER what?

 

I mean Jones could have 150 yards this week, I bet you week 5 Barber will still get his touches

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

How can a player breakout when he has a partner getting 10-15 touches a week, NO MATTER what?

 

I mean Jones could have 150 yards this week, I bet you week 5 Barber will still get his touches



You say this like its a fact. Its not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

How can a player breakout when he has a partner getting 10-15 touches a week, NO MATTER what?

 

I mean Jones could have 150 yards this week, I bet you week 5 Barber will still get his touches

 

Definitely not a certainty. We see it often in the NFL where a coach will give the starter a shot, but the player behind him is producing at a higher clip and forces the coaches hand. If Jones continues to play at a high level, and Barber has some lackluster games, he can absolutely take over this backfield. 

Also, Arians is no stranger to having a workhorse back (DJ). He’s not one of these coaches around the league that will always go with a committee no matter what. If he thinks it’s best for the team, he may hand Jones the keys to the backfield. 

Great guy to have on the bench and see what happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 1:31 PM, Big Nate said:

Because Jones is still learning and the coaches believe he still has a ways to go.  Having said that I hope the week 2 (4 touches) was just an outlier and he keeps getting 15 touches a game.  If he starts to push 20 then we are laughing but the coaches are taking this slow.  

 

It seems to have gone largely unnoticed, but Jones got dinged on his last run in week 2. Since Barber was playing well, I think they just decided to shelve Jones and run with Barber the rest of the game.

Jones will be the lead back at the end of the season, it's just a matter of when. He looks infinitely better out there than he did last year. BA is handling this similar to how he did David Johnson his rookie year. Granted it took at injury for DJ to fully take over, but I believe Jones will prove he's too talented to be splitting carries with a guy like Barber soon enough.

Edited by yahyahtrick
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

 

Definitely not a certainty. We see it often in the NFL where a coach will give the starter a shot, but the player behind him is producing at a higher clip and forces the coaches hand. If Jones continues to play at a high level, and Barber has some lackluster games, he can absolutely take over this backfield. 

Also, Arians is no stranger to having a workhorse back (DJ). He’s not one of these coaches around the league that will always go with a committee no matter what. If he thinks it’s best for the team, he may hand Jones the keys to the backfield. 

Great guy to have on the bench and see what happens. 

 

Week 1 2018. Browns vs Steelers. Game in the rain. I watched because I had Landry last year. James Connor massive game in his first game taking over for Bell. Arians is announcing this game and says something along the lines of “I don’t like using committees” when they were talking about the amount of work Connor was getting.

Now Arians says a lot of things so who knows, but I thought that comment was interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to start him due to losing barkley so let's all pray together he can continue the improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally we want the Bucs to lose another game while Barber gets the most carries but Jones outproduces him. Even Bruce Arians can only take so much averageness.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

I scooped him up for $6 FAAB this week.  Does anyone feel like ROJO can claim the backfield this week and hopefully take over? My gut tells me he may be the man and a solid RB2 eventually.  

I definitely think he has a chance.   I don't think it's a situation of two guys that are roughly equal in terms of skill.  Jones clearly looks better.   Don't know if Arians will give him the work or not.  But he's not Nagy, so I'm assuming he'll eventually give the touches to the better player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

I have to start him due to losing barkley so let's all pray together he can continue the improvement.

That is a desperate play 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Athebaby7 said:

That is a desperate play 😳

 

Could be worse. Barkley owner in my league is starting Cohen as his RB2

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

I scooped him up for $6 FAAB this week.  Does anyone feel like ROJO can claim the backfield this week and hopefully take over? My gut tells me he may be the man and a solid RB2 eventually.  

 

Yes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

I have to start him due to losing barkley so let's all pray together he can continue the improvement.

I don't know you but I wish you all the best. We are all in this together and I can see the light.

 

Good things are about to happen. Due to injuries, I'm one injury away from starting him too. 

 

You guys ready for this? I think he gets his first TD this week. Also, if he can start getting some more targets in the passing game it would be huge for him. Even 1-2 more targets a game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 8:21 AM, CraftyRighty said:

How can a player breakout when he has a partner getting 10-15 touches a week, NO MATTER what?

 

I mean Jones could have 150 yards this week, I bet you week 5 Barber will still get his touches

 

Cool, then drop him while the rest of us are patient and know that situations always change. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can argue who is a better RB or starter but let’s be honest. The Buccaneers have been bad when it comes to rushing TD’s the last 2 years. The Bucs RB’s had a whopping 6 rushing TD’s in 2018 (5 for barber). And they have 1 rushing TD this year which is a worse pace than last year even when the offense is in the top half for points scored per game. It makes me feel that any RB’s upside will be capped with how this team uses their RB. Even if Jones wins the job, Barber will get his, and Ogundork will get his catches. Even if everything goes right for Jones, He is a flex and pray option which you can’t feel good about starting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's me, but I'm not seeing the optimism this week. The Bucs are gonna be down big...early.  no running game for them this week

Edited by Funkenstein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Funkenstein said:

Maybe it's me, but I'm not seeing the optimism this week. Nice are gonna be down big...early.  no running game for them this week

He's not a play until the second half of the season for me. I didn't draft him to play him anytime soon. I like what I've seen so far though. I drafted him for a piece to use in the bye weeks and playoffs. I figured it would take time for the Bucs to iron out exactly how to run this offense with the personnel they have available.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Funkenstein said:

Maybe it's me, but I'm not seeing the optimism this week. The Bucs are gonna be down big...early.  no running game for them this week

This is where I would like to see Jones get some more targets. If he's ranked out as a top 5 in pass pro so far this season and he's turned his two catches into 59 yards one would think they would get him more involved in the passing game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...