RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, Big Nate said:

This is where I would like to see Jones get some more targets. If he's ranked out as a top 5 in pass pro so far this season and he's turned his two catches into 59 yards one would think they would get him more involved in the passing game.

Sounds great in theory, but The Rams have Aaron Donald.  IF jones is in there on passing downs, it will be as a blocker.

On 9/25/2019 at 6:03 PM, yahyahtrick said:

It seems to have gone largely unnoticed, but Jones got dinged on his last run in week 2. Since Barber was playing well, I think they just decided to shelve Jones and run with Barber the rest of the game.

Jones will be the lead back at the end of the season, it's just a matter of when. He looks infinitely better out there than he did last year. BA is handling this similar to how he did David Johnson his rookie year. Granted it took at injury for DJ to fully take over, but I believe Jones will prove he's too talented to be splitting carries with a guy like Barber soon enough.

Arians certainly seems like a guy who makes young players earn it.  OJ Howard this year, DJ his rookie year -- Tough love, as he calls it.

Here's an interesting read, a nice summary of everything Ronald Jones has going for him.  His upcoming schedule has a couple tough games, but if he breaks out during it, you'll know he's a legit RB1.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/fantasy-football-week-3-stealing-signals-stats-waiver-targets-trade-candidates-for-every-game-nfl-schedule/

"If you've read this column before, you're probably aware I like to spend too much time talking about Ronald Jones. Coming into the week, I was alerted to the fact that Jones has a very good success rate over at Football-Outsiders, and noticed Peyton Barber's — behind the same offensive line! — is bad. 

I was then directed by a follower to this tweet from The Athletic's Greg Auman who explained why Jones didn't play late in Week 2. 

Fast forward to this week, and in his first six touches, Jones had two plays of 20-plus yards, which is two more than Barber has on his 49 touches this season. Jones also substantially cut into Barber's snap share from Week 2, so the injury information seems to carry some weight. 

By my cursory look at the game log, Jones again had the better success rate, so it wasn't just that he hit a couple of big plays. But just looking at it the old-fashioned way, Jones wound up with 121 yards from scrimmage on 15 touches while Barber had 55 also on 15 touches.

Two caveats, as always: 1) Dare Ogunbowale is still playing passing downs, which limits upside here, and 2) It doesn't matter what I think; it only matters what the coaches do. 

...I still think Jones takes over this backfield before long."

Edited by rocket
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having a legitimate 3-down back would definitely help Jameis not looks so much like Jameis. Arians pls

• Like 1

I don’t know if anyone seen this article yet.  Jones is returning to the same arena where he played college ball a USC and this article predicts a big game.  Also touches on how Jones has been better in pass protection versus Barber.  

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/27/fantasy-expert-adam-rank-says-ronald-jones-is-primed-for-a-big-week-4/

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

I don’t know if anyone seen this article yet.  Jones is returning to the same arena where he played college ball a USC and this article predicts a big game.  Also touches on how Jones has been better in pass protection versus Barber.  

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/27/fantasy-expert-adam-rank-says-ronald-jones-is-primed-for-a-big-week-4/

nice...

7 rushes for 3 yards.  book it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Was going some reading, and saw that currently Jones is ranked as the #4 overall RB in offensive grade by PFF. For reference, Barber is ranked 28th, and Jones grades out higher in every category (rushing, receiving, blocking, etc.) 

Football Outsiders ranks him 13th in DYAR, 8th in DVOA, and 3rd in Success rate. Here's a link with the ranks/definitions 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb/2019

I'm curious to see how things play out and wouldn't be surprised if he does well this week he takes the majority of the workload moving forward. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bakes781 said:

Not that I take a lot of stock in projections but why does ESPN only have him getting 6 points?

Because it’s Ronald Jones and he’s let us all down like 7 times now 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TennisDude said:

Well I'm very seriously considering starting him over Carson and Chubb this week.

20 minutes ago, bakes781 said:

Not that I take a lot of stock in projections but why does ESPN only have him getting 6 points?

Rojo and Arians can’t be trusted yet.  No way I’m starting him over real options like Carson and Chubb 

• Like 1

Dont we all think that Tampa is going to be chasing points vs the Rams at home?

This smells like one of those situations where you all talk yourselves into starting him, only to regret it after one or two series..

Edited by Funkenstein
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Funkenstein said:

Dont we all think that Tampa is going to be chasing points vs the Rams at home?

This smells like one of those situations where you all talk yourselves into starting him, only to regret it after one or two series..

He can catch passes, and the Rams offense hasn't been as prolific as it was last year. 

18 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

He can catch passes, and the Rams offense hasn't been as prolific as it was last year. 

Agreed, but they are home where they usually have success.

The Barkley-less Giants and a rookie QB just dropped 35 on Tampa.

Go with your gut, I guess.  We'll circle back to these posts on Monday, Im sure.

• Like 1

Here’s the thing about Jones: he’s basically a rookie again this year. Last year he never really got settled in as a pro. This year he’s starting all over with the new coaching staff & slowly earning their trust. Jones has outperformed Barber 2 out of 3 games (probably would be all 3 if he didn’t roll his ankle), and is graded much higher in all these metrics. I’d think if he’s better against the Rams he finally gets named the starter. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bakes781 said:

Well I'm very seriously considering starting him over Carson and Chubb this week.

😂

3 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

That remains to be seen. He has 2 catches on the year and only 7 last season with a couple drops last season.

1 hour ago, lvsaint429 said:

Here’s the thing about Jones: he’s basically a rookie again this year. Last year he never really got settled in as a pro. This year he’s starting all over with the new coaching staff & slowly earning their trust. Jones has outperformed Barber 2 out of 3 games (probably would be all 3 if he didn’t roll his ankle), and is graded much higher in all these metrics. I’d think if he’s better against the Rams he finally gets named the starter. 

Well said.   There’s reason for hope but let’s see him string a couple good games together on the fantasy bench.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arians incompetence and Winston's suckage are holding back Jones. The team needs tog et rid of both of them.

I hope everyone stashed RoJo before this game. He just had TWO massive runs called back. He's killing it this game. If he didn't have those called back. Your looking at two possible TDs. He's the back to own in this offense. It's clear as day this game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jclee4 said:

I hope everyone stashed RoJo before this game. He just had TWO massive runs called back. He's killing it this game. If he didn't have those called back. Your looking at two possible TDs. He's the back to own in this offense. It's clear as day this game.

He’s looking mighty fine out there indeed

• Like 3