RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

4 hours ago, nb009 said:

Regarding his pass protection / pass catching ability (or lack thereof):

1. Is there any update or anecdotes on how he’s developed in that area (particularly pass protection) thus far in the season? I think a read a recent post on here or somewhere else about how he still looked lost on a passing play.

2. In recent fantasy football history, is there a good example of a high performing RB who gets absolutely no 3rd down work and partially split the early down work?

It kinda sucks this Dare guy is around to cap any potential upside Jones might have in this department. Even if Dare were to pick up an injury, the Bucs probably would just go re-sigh Ellington. Thinking the best play (though no one wants to hear this) is to sell high on Jones to an owner who’s bought into this recent hype (highlights, PFF grade, FF waiver wire columns, etc.) and isn’t aware of the details that create enough probable downside to scare someone off. I know people will counter with “you can’t get anything of value for Ronald Jones so you might as well stick it out”, but I disagree here and think he holds a lot of value in the FF community given his recent performance, draft capital, and the universal perception that Peyton Barber is a JAG.

In the past, I’ve let emotions prevent me from going with my gut and selling high (see: Watkins, Sammy) so really trying to avoid another one of those scenarios. I hate to be negative and I hope I’m wrong (if I end up keeping him, of course), but I can honestly still see scenarios where he is severely outsnapped and puts up low single digits numbers on a regular basis, subsequently followed by people bashing Arians and calling him a bad coach (a la McCarthy and Nagy).

You’re not selling high on Rojo, he’s s still basically a pick 5 lotto with 4 numbers matching already. Nobody is gonna give you proper value for that potential ticket. So you go along for the ride and hope for the best. Save the negativity for the haters that don’t own him, believe me there are enough of them

• Thanks 1

Just dropped Miles Sanders for him. Loving the usage lately. Great potential and has a real juicy playoff schedule...

• Haha 2

Ronald Jones reminds me a little of Melvin Gordon's rookie year, where Gordon looked pedestrian and didn't score a TD.  Flash forward a year and he blew up with yards and TDs.  I remember not wanting to draft Melvin Gordon in his 2nd year. I'm not saying that they are the same player or in the same situation.  What I'm saying is that because he was bad & injured in his rookie year, everyone gave up on him, similar to Gordon.  It takes a long time for bad first impressions to fade and be outweighed by evidence / production.  Things can change a lot in a year.  Ronald has remade his body, gaining a lot of muscle in the offseason & getting healthy, whereas I think he played at 190 lbs his last year at USC.

Edited by rocket
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, rocket said:

Ronald Jones reminds me a little of Melvin Gordon's rookie year, where Gordon looked pedestrian and didn't score a TD.  Flash forward a year and he blew up with yards and TDs.  I remember not wanting to draft Melvin Gordon in his 2nd year. I'm not saying that they are the same player or in the same situation.  What I'm saying is that because he was bad & injured in his rookie year, everyone gave up on him, similar to Gordon.  It takes a long time for bad first impressions to fade and be outweighed by evidence / production.  Things can change a lot in a year.  Ronald has remade his body, gaining a lot of muscle in the offseason & getting healthy, whereas I think he played at 190 lbs his last year at USC.

Yes lev bell the same thing

I think we can all agree he's probably not working his way into the top 15-20 but I do think he can have some weeks where he will be there. I feel like he can be a consistent contributor though.

[...]

He's been consistent with decent stat lines for two weeks and his usage is trending upwards. His competition isn't showing anything. I'm happy to have dropped Darwin Thompson (who I did draft) for him. 

I think he's good for someone in my case or someone similar, who went WR heavy in the beginning of the draft (I went WR-TE-WR) and are set there but lacking RB depth. Looks like he could have a decent floor going forward and the usage could still continue to go up.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

1 hour ago, tschwicht said:

I think we can all agree he's probably not working his way into the top 15-20 but I do think he can have some weeks where he will be there. I feel like he can be a consistent contributor though.

[...]

He's been consistent with decent stat lines for two weeks and his usage is trending upwards. His competition isn't showing anything. I'm happy to have dropped Darwin Thompson (who I did draft) for him. 

I think he's good for someone in my case or someone similar, who went WR heavy in the beginning of the draft (I went WR-TE-WR) and are set there but lacking RB depth. Looks like he could have a decent floor going forward and the usage could still continue to go up.

I wouldn’t necessarily bet on him entering the top 15 - 20 RB range, but I wouldn’t bet against it either.

At this point he looks like a completely different player than last season and he should continue to improve with more experience.

Hes also caught all of his pass targets so far, all for gains.  All be it only like 3 or 4 targets so far.  He will never be Faulk when it comes to catching, but the “he can’t catch” rhetoric that’s been popping up in the past 2 years now seems a great exaggeration.   He certainly can catch.  He looks about average relative to other RBs in that skill.

I might have a change of opinion about him entering the top 15 - 20 RBs actually.  I prob would put a few bucks on him being in that range.  Top 10 - 15 seems more of an obstacle.  But if he stays this consistent, top 15 - 20 doesn’t seem so far fetched.

Poor Peyton Barber.  His time as a lead back seems over.  

2 hours ago, rocket said:

FF players have a hard time believing someone can, or has improved until it’s too late. RoJo has a top 12 ceiling in this offense if everything goes right for him. For now I think 15-20 is a better estimate as people are discussing above. 

He’s one long run away from turning most owners. If you watch the games, it’s only a matter of time before he breaks one. He looks explosive and shifty, pretty much living up to his draft profile with the bonus of added muscle. 

• Like 1

[...] Jones should be bumped into just below that tier behind guys like LIndsay and Michel.  On the verge of a potential breakout..  And may actually be a better start then one of them.

The main issue with Jones coming out of college is his run style is kind of a one trick pony where he hits the hole and just goes.   Workload and versatility and all of that needed time to develop.  Kenyan Drake and all of that.  Similar players but Drake is really on a bad team right now.  Tampa is going to continue to struggle some weeks but is further down the development timeline.  I think the timeshares some of these players may just not break out.  Jaylen Samuels is another one. Talentwise they are all players that should be owned if trending in the right direction.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

2 minutes ago, jumboJET85 said:

Is RoJo getting into anyone’s lineup this week over RB2’s with bad matchups? 

Debating him over Josh Jacobs. Not thrilled about either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jumboJET85 said:

Is RoJo getting into anyone’s lineup this week over RB2’s with bad matchups? 

Starting him over Chris Thompson with Kerryon on bye

4 hours ago, montgrove said:

Yes lev bell the same thing

lev had a good rookie. Ypc were low but overall he was the unquestioned number one until getting injured week 13

1 hour ago, jsch08 said:

Debating him over Josh Jacobs. Not thrilled about either.

Yep im sitting jacobs for him, risk it for the biscuit

Image result for risk it for the biscuit.gif

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

Yep im sitting jacobs for him, risk it for the biscuit

Just like his coach BA says. Go big or go home!

43 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

7 carries 21 yards and 18 pages in less than 1 hour after the game 

So you don’t own RJ. Sorry, the bus is full. 

12 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

So you don’t own RJ. Sorry, the bus is full. 

Oh I own him. There hasn’t been one week of his career I haven’t owned him. Hence my unbridled skepticism as I’ve seen this all before.

Just now, MrPositive said:

Oh I own him. There hasn’t been one week of his career I haven’t owned him. Hence my unbridled skepticism as I’ve seen this all before.

You’ve seen him look as good as he did this past weekend before? 

6 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

You’ve seen him look as good as he did this past weekend before? 

I thought he looked that good the first game this season and Arians went right back to Barber. He also looked pretty good one game last season that started all the madness. With him catching almost 0 balls a game, it’s a risk. I’m going another direction this week until I can see it two games in a row for the first time. I do wish you all great success though!

Just now, MrPositive said:

I thought he looked that good the first game this season and Arians went right back to Barber. He also looked pretty good one game last season that started all the madness. With him catching almost 0 balls a game, it’s a risk. I’m going another direction this week until I can see it two games in a row for the first time. I do wish you all great success though!

Name is not checking out 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, MrPositive said:

7 carries 21 yards and 18 pages in less than 1 hour after the game 

I hope this happens so I can try to trade for him

3 hours ago, MrPositive said:

He hurt his ankle the game Arians went to Barber. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrPositive said:

His best game in 2018 was 29 yards on 10 carries.  So far this season he’s topped 80 yards 3 of 4 games- with injury cited in the other.    It’s not at all comparable.    

• Thanks 2