RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, bomont said:

No interest in the guy but in fairness he didn't exactly get much of a chance.

But TB RBs = fantasy wasteland. pass

While this is true, keep in mind it's the coaches and scheme..not the city they play in.

35 minutes ago, the_dying_dream said:

While this is true, keep in mind it's the coaches and scheme..not the city they play in.

I think it's more of the offensive line than anything

I picked him up in Dynasty with Chester Rogers going the opposite direction. WR heavy, so no loss to me.

I personally really enjoy this aspect of the game the most - the punts with absolutely no risk whatsoever and am quietly excited to see what he does under Arians.

Edited by steevio_uk

For a flier around round 9-10 I’m all for this. High draft pick, sounds like the coaching staff has confidence in him. I think he’s RB3 material. 

• Thanks 1

Sign me up to the RJ2 train.

its now being reported he put on 13 pounds of muscle and is around 221 pounds.  With his skill set and style, that added weight should help him immensely in adjusting to the nfl game.  I think a lot of his issues last year came from not being able to push forward through Tampa’s poor blocking.

They still even might run somthing of a RBBC, but I think in the end RJ will prove to be the lead back in that scenario.

Im very happy I bought low in my dynasty at the end of last season.  Traded Hayden Hurst for RJ2, one for one and it’s looking like a steal.

I still think there’s some time before camp to buy low though.  We should have a much better idea after seeing him in preseason.  But with the added strength and everything being said, he looks like a serious breakout contender.

I think once the preseason ends, or even during, it will be too late to get him at a discount.  At that point he might not be worth the premium that hype and preseason will probably bring.  He’s not exactly a secret as it is.

If he were coming out in this years rookie dynasty drafts I think he’d easily be one of the top 4 RBs taken.  Possibly even ahead of Jacobs, Sanders and Montgomery.  He’d be no later than a top 6 pick as things stand given the dynasty premium put on RBs.

Edited by brakeyawself

Would be a good zero rb target I suppose. I won’t write a guy off after 1 year, but oh man what a bad year it was. This offense should be product so he’s got that going for him I guess. 

Edited by Panthers8912
  • Thanks 1

Adding muscle is never a bad thing, but when you're already slow (for the position) to begin with I'm just not that excited honestly. 

If he's working as hard as everyone's saying and he can become Bruce Arian's main guy though I'm with y'all. That's a big if though. 

Arian's has shown he loves to ride the back he deems his horse though and has had solid success so if he can beat out barber and be announced as the starter then I'm all for him as well. 

41 minutes ago, brakeyawself said:

Im very happy I bought low in my dynasty at the end of last season.  Traded Hayden Hurst for RJ2, one for one and it’s looking like a steal.

I still think there’s some time before camp to buy low though.  We should have a much better idea after seeing him in preseason.  But with the added strength and everything being said, he looks like a serious breakout contender.

I think once the preseason ends, or even during, it will be too late to get him at a discount.  At that point he might not be worth the premium that hype and preseason will probably bring.  He’s not exactly a secret as it is.

Good trade on your part. 

I agree with most you say quoted above. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 7:09 AM, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Keep his adp up, I like the idea of seeing a leaguemate taking him in the mid rounds

This

Garbage is still garbage. Laughable how many were hyping this guy last year. 

On 6/27/2019 at 9:52 PM, JoeJoe88 said:

He's not a good receiving back, though.  Never really has been.  

He caught 7 of 9 targets last season in his minimal appearances.  Granted, his college receiving record left a lot to be desired, and he has dropped some passes here and there.  But I don’t think he’s a bad receiving back either.

if he worked on it, pass catching is absolutely somthing players are capable of improving on.  Not to mention, if you extrapolate his receiving record from last year, even adding some drops based on a larger quantity, those would still be good, but not great pass catching numbers.   And good is really all he would need to be as long as his rushing improved.

He will never be Kamara, but he can absolutely be a decent to slightly above average pass catcher.  Further, it seems like he’s put in a great deal of work this offseason.  There is a very good possibility he will improve in catching the ball as well.

And to the other posts, he’s a more talented runner than Barber in more ways than just speed.  His cutting, elusiveness and possibly vision might all be superior to Barber.  It’s not just his speed.  But he didn’t transition well to the nfl his rookie year.  That doesn’t mean he’s less skilled than Barber.  There were other factors involved.  And I really do believe the added muscle will help him between the tackles quite a bit.

Real,y, I think strength and experience are the two aspects that Barber was better at.  At least strength now should be on par.  Hopefully the experience will come.  I also think he was making poor decisions last year and hesitating behind the o-line.  These are two things that can certainly improve with experience and confidence.  His confidence also sounds improved up to this point.  

I

2 hours ago, brakeyawself said:

I still think there’s some time before camp to buy low though.  

If you think his price is cheap now, just wait til Week 4 when he’s sitting untouched in every league’s free agent pool. 

• Haha 4

52 minutes ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

If you think his price is cheap now, just wait til Week 4 when he’s sitting untouched in every league’s free agent pool. 

Good to know you can see in to the future. What other super powers you have? 

(Call the guy with the straight jacket please)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brakeyawself said:

Further, it seems like he’s put in a great deal of work this offseason.

To be honest, out of your whole post, this is the point I think will help the most.

It was mentioned from multiple sides last season this was his main problem, and this preseason it's mentioned most that he made strides. Good for him, now let's see him do it when it matters most (ie during the season), and let's see if it helps with all the other failings that were reported.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

To be honest, out of your whole post, this is the point I think will help the most.

It was mentioned from multiple sides last season this was his main problem, and this preseason it's mentioned most that he made strides. Good for him, now let's see him do it when it matters most (ie during the season), and let's see if it helps with all the other failings that were reported.

I think that is the most important factor in any industry, in any and every line of work.  Those who put in the most work to improve themselves tend to prosper.  And yes, that does seem like the biggest difference regarding RJ between last season and this season.  Beyond the physical and mental self improvement, it shows a will to succeed.  And that will to succeed combined with hard work (they almost always go together) is probably the most important factor in succeeding.

Edited by brakeyawself
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, brakeyawself said:

if he worked on it, pass catching is absolutely somthing players are capable of improving on.

You learn how to catch when you're 9.  Not 22.

• Like 1

There aren't many players that come to mind as improved pass catchers after they enter the NFL. Ronald Jones has never been and has already shown in his rookie season that he will never be a reliable pass catcher at RB. His skillset is as an early down runner. Catching 7 of 9 is not an amazing feat. Especially with only 33 yards gained. Most, if not all of them, were screens. And he didn't do much with them. A bunch of people tried to make the same argument for Hyde because he had a bunch of catches one season.

6 hours ago, devaster said:

There aren't many players that come to mind as improved pass catchers after they enter the NFL. Ronald Jones has never been and has already shown in his rookie season that he will never be a reliable pass catcher at RB. His skillset is as an early down runner. Catching 7 of 9 is not an amazing feat. Especially with only 33 yards gained. Most, if not all of them, were screens. And he didn't do much with them. A bunch of people tried to make the same argument for Hyde because he had a bunch of catches one season.

No one is suggesting it’s a major feat.  He’s being called a bad pass Catcher.  You also said he showed this his rookie year? How?

By catching 7 of the 9 opportunities he received?  There’s nothing to support the argument that his skill in that area is negative.  And there’s definitely no supporting evidence his rookie year proved this.  Sounds like a bunch of people were correct.

He might prove to be an average receiver.  That’s fine.  He certainly hasn’t shown he’s a bad one though.

Relative to the time he spent on the field, 7 of 9 actually is above average.  I was just giving your argument the benefit of the doubt.  

Edited by brakeyawself

6 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Lol.  Nice.  A completely subjective and meaningless statement regarding the topic.  Guess you got me!

If only he had learned to catch before his 10th birthday.  Good to know there’s a cutoff date. 

4 hours ago, brakeyawself said:

Lol.  Nice.  A completely subjective and meaningless statement regarding the topic.  Guess you got me!

If only he had learned to catch before his 10th birthday.  Good to know there’s a cutoff date. 

The problem is, you’re saying that he’s a better pass catcher than what we’ve seen. But where’s the evidence to prove that? Certainly not in college. And I wouldn’t say catching 7 passes for a 4.7 ypr average really helps that case any either. There’s more evidence to suggest he’s simply not a good pass-catching back than there is the contrary. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brakeyawself said:

1 hour ago, JoeJoe88 said:

The problem is, you’re saying that he’s a better pass catcher than what we’ve seen. But where’s the evidence to prove that? Certainly not in college. And I wouldn’t say catching 7 passes for a 4.7 ypr average really helps that case any either. There’s more evidence to suggest he’s simply not a good pass-catching back than there is the contrary. 

Sure...anyone can improve on anything at anytime.   But it doesn't mean that he'll ever be a great (or even good by NFL standards) pass catcher.   SnowBeast reportedly took 300 extra passers per day during offseason last year.   He still looked awkward catching the ball and consequentially, wasn't used much in the passing game.   I expect it to be similar with Jones.   I didn't see all of his receptions last year but the few I remember, he was able to catch the ball into his body, not with his hands while on the run.   It's going to be even more difficult when you've got Winston not putting the ball exactly in front of him.  

Hard work alone is not enough to be a great pass catcher.   I mean...there are WR that have presumably spent their whole career working on catching passes and still never master it. 

Also, bulking up 13 pounds isn't going to help. 

12 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

You learn how to hold and run with a ball when you're about 3 years old too.

Didn't stop Tom Coughlin re-designing the way Tiki Barber held the ball, leading to 3 straight Pro Bowl seasons...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, steevio_uk said:

You learn how to hold and run with a ball when you're about 3 years old too.

Didn't stop Tom Coughlin re-designing the way Tiki Barber held the ball, leading to 3 straight Pro Bowl seasons...

That's not even close to being the same thing. 

Why?

Are you suggesting that it's not at all possible for Jones to pickup changes to the way he takes a ball that could lead to a notable improvement in his catching ability/performance?

6 hours ago, brakeyawself said:

Well the “cutoff” certainly isn’t 22 years old.  We’ve already been through this with Jordan Howard last year.