RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

5 minutes ago, steevio_uk said:

Why?

Are you suggesting that it's not at all possible for Jones to pickup changes to the way he takes a ball that could lead to a notable improvement in his catching ability/performance?

Pretty much, yeah.

Not being good at football doesn’t help either.

53 minutes ago, steevio_uk said:

Why?

Are you suggesting that it's not at all possible for Jones to pickup changes to the way he takes a ball that could lead to a notable improvement in his catching ability/performance?

I'm not saying it's not at all possible.  Just very unlikely that he improves to the point of being a good pass catching back.   I'll throw out the Howard example again.  By all accounts, he worked very hard at improving this aspect of his game and still looked like a poor pass catching RB. 

It's not as simple as showing someone how to hold a football.   

Not as simple, granted. I guess it comes down to what degree you think there is scope for improvement;

You consider it unlikely, which is cool; I don't think it's too unreasonable to think he can make gains; RMJ guy thinks it's impossible.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Who is a better 9th round pick right now then Ronald jones? At RB. 

Ignoring the fact that he's going at 8.7 and If you're going to limit the question to RB in the 9th, then sure, Jones has to be at the top of the list.

But I'd rather take Sutton or Allison around that spot and then fill out an RB spot later with McKinnon or Harris. 

Just now, K197040 said:

Ignoring the fact that he's going at 8.7 and If you're going to limit the question to RB in the 9th, then sure, Jones has to be at the top of the list.

But I'd rather take Sutton or Allison around that spot and then fill out an RB spot later with McKinnon or Harris. 

8.7 is close enough to 9th I didn’t actually look up his ADP. I’m uncomfortable taking him in the 8th, to be honest. If I had a Draft where I took 3 straight WR’s though I would absolutely take him around 8-9th round. I think it depends on team needs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

8.7 is close enough to 9th I didn’t actually look up his ADP. I’m uncomfortable taking him in the 8th, to be honest. If I had a Draft where I took 3 straight WR’s though I would absolutely take him around 8-9th round. I think it depends on team needs. 

it's a pretty important distinction between 8th and 9th.   Like you, I'd be uncomfortable for sure taking him in the 8th.  I'd be OK with him in the 9th assuming he's my RB4.  I'd be concerned if he was my 3.

11 minutes ago, K197040 said:

it's a pretty important distinction between 8th and 9th.   Like you, I'd be uncomfortable for sure taking him in the 8th.  I'd be OK with him in the 9th assuming he's my RB4.  I'd be concerned if he was my 3.

Deathly concerned if he was my 3 🤣🤣🤣

Bucs fan here.

This guy sucks. But so does Barber. Our entire running game is a joke.

The Bucs unarguably have 3 fantasy worthy pass catchers in Evans, Godwin and Howard. How the F does anyone think that they’re going to end up with anything close to an RB1 in addition to that? This isn’t the Greatest Show on Turf 1999-2001 Rams we’re talking about here. No. It’s the Bucs who just had the 5th pick in the draft and are likely to still be picking in the top 10 next year.

You’d have to be awfully desperate at RB to even consider rostering either of the bums in this backfield no matter where they are getting drafted. You’re not locked into drafting a RB in any particular round either so this BS of “name another RB you would specifically draft in round X” is immaterial. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

Bucs fan here.

The Bucs unarguably have 3 fantasy worthy pass catchers in Evans, Godwin and Howard. How the F does anyone think that they’re going to end up with anything close to an RB1 in addition to that? This isn’t the Greatest Show on Turf 1999-2001 Rams we’re talking about here. No. It’s the Bucs who just had the 5th pick in the draft and are likely to still be picking in the top 10 next year.

You’d have to be awfully desperate at RB to even consider rostering either of the bums in this backfield no matter where they are getting drafted. You’re not locked into drafting a RB in any particular round either so this BS of “name another RB you would specifically draft in round X” is immaterial. 

so...I'm unclear...you do or don't like Jones in the 5th?

• Haha 2

Just now, K197040 said:

so...I'm unclear...you do or don't like Jones in the 5th?

I don’t even like him in the 15th. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Call me crazy but i think he is a must own in the 70s or 80s. Only rbs I think over him are tevin coleman if he is still on the board. Melvin Gordon had a trash rookie year. New coaching staff. But preseason will tell a lot. Andre ellington to me might be more of a threat then barber. It is possible he is not a top 35 rb at end of season. But he also has top 15 upside if things break right for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dislimb said:

Bucs fan here.

Plenty of first year players have struggled and come into their own 2nd year. To say he sucks is a reach. Just because you’re a Bucs fan doesn’t mean you know anything more about it than the rest of us. If I draft 3 straight Wr’s and I am looking for upside running backs around the 8th, 9th, or 10th round he is one I would seriously consider. He’s young, was a high draft pick, and has every chance to take the starting job and run with it. I would rather draft Ronald Jones a round earlier then Peyton barber, barber has 0 upside. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

The answer to this question, is that you should void RBs in the area he's going. The WR there provide a lot more value. Guys like Dede Westbrook, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Corey Davis, etc. are definitely a better investment. 

Try to grab 3 backs in the first 7 rounds to avoid a problem like this. It's imperative to grab 2 in the first 4 - 5 rounds. There's a big drop off after the 4th - 5th (depending who's there).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Singing in Dwayne said:

The answer to this question, is that you should void RBs in the area he's going. The WR there provide a lot more value. Guys like Dede Westbrook, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Corey Davis, etc. are definitely a better investment. 

Try to grab 3 backs in the first 7 rounds to avoid a problem like this. It's imperative to grab 2 in the first 4 - 5 rounds. There's a big drop off after the 4th - 5th (depending who's there).

That’s not everyone’s strategy though, you know? Last year I had a ton of success taking Hopkins/Adams/Kelce/Juju with my first four picks (in one of my leagues) and i went after late backs. I believe I got Chris Carson somewhere around 8th round (can’t remember that far back) I also took James white a little later as well. So this year, if I started with the same strategy then Dede Westbrook wouldn’t provide me with the same value that Ronald jones COULD. I agree those WR’s have a way higher floor then someone like jones, but the draft doesn’t always shake out like that.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

That is actually a good point. It's also pretty much the only good point in his favor I've seen so far, but yes, at that discount, I might grab him. There is opportunity and around pick #100, that's all you can ask.

2 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

That’s not everyone’s strategy though, you know? Last year I had a ton of success taking Hopkins/Adams/Kelce/Juju with my first four picks (in one of my leagues) and i went after late backs. I believe I got Chris Carson somewhere around 8th round (can’t remember that far back) I also took James white a little later as well. So this year, if I started with the same strategy then Dede Westbrook wouldn’t provide me with the same value that Ronald jones COULD. I agree those WR’s have a way higher floor then someone like jones, but the draft doesn’t always shake out like that.  

I'm well aware of the zero RB strategy, but it usually doesn't work. It limits your options, so you can't grab certain guys who fall, only RBs later on. And believe me, that's the worst position to hope for steals.

The correct "zero" RB strategy is to get 1 stud RB and pick up fliers later on. If I go with that route, I'd go with 1 RB in the 1st - 3rd (there's a drop off come the 4th round), and then 3 WR total in the first 4 rounds, or sometimes Kelce, 2 WR and a RB.

The reason this is optimal is because WR3s can still be had up until the 10th round, but in years past that wasn't the case. There's more WR depth now than ever, so a completely zero RB strategy doesn't really make sense. Considering RB depth is still terrible.

On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 11:34 AM, Ryansm11 said:

Literally Anyone

• Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 8:28 PM, Singing in Dwayne said:

I'm well aware of the zero RB strategy, but it usually doesn't work. It limits your options, so you can't grab certain guys who fall, only RBs later on. And believe me, that's the worst position to hope for steals.

The correct "zero" RB strategy is to get 1 stud RB and pick up fliers later on. If I go with that route, I'd go with 1 RB in the 1st - 3rd (there's a drop off come the 4th round), and then 3 WR total in the first 4 rounds, or sometimes Kelce, 2 WR and a RB.

I'd argue that the correct "zero" RB strategy is to get good/great RB in round 1 and 2.  Then WR in the 3rd.  Maybe TE in the 4th.  Or another solid RB.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, K197040 said:

I'd argue that the correct "zero" RB strategy is to get good/great RB in round 1 and 2.  

That isn't a "zero RB" strategy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, K197040 said:

I'd argue that the correct "zero" RB strategy is to get good/great RB in round 1 and 2.  Then WR in the 3rd.  Maybe TE in the 4th.  Or another solid RB.

So when I took Hopkins/Adams/Kelce/Juju last year I did it wrong?

4 hours ago, K197040 said:

4 hours ago, bomont said:

That isn't a "zero RB" strategy. 

Yeah, not sure if that was tongue in cheek or not, but that is basically the opposite of zero RB. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

So when I took Hopkins/Adams/Kelce/Juju last year I did it wrong?

You did a great job of finding a league of idiots.

On 7/16/2019 at 3:45 PM, Dislimb said:

I don’t even like him in the 15th. 😜

15th is excellent value gotta take him there