RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

16 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

"... I also think this is just a backfield to stay away from. The line can’t block. The RB’s aren’t good. Doubt anyone gets enough touches to stay consistent."

Could be right, but that suggests the focus of defenses should be on Winston & those WRs. If they can apply a lot of pressure both vertically & laterally, that has to lend itself. Rojo's current regimen isn't anything that started just recently. His coaches at USC served him well & got him seeing the big picture. For his final season there, he came in bigger & stronger. He gets that he has to monster up. What's carrying him is that elite plant & redirect... & his ability to accelerate out of his break, a rare trait. Price is ripe, watch out for him.

Edited by markrc99

The biggest difference for whoever is the starter at RB, will be that the stupid playcalling from last year will be gone. 1st down, run.  1st down, run.  1st down, run.

12 hours ago, brakeyawself said:

I actually have a friend who is now 35.  He loves baseball, but as a child he never actually got an opportunity to play.  As an adult, he caught like a wet fish and threw like a, well, like girls used to be accused of.

So, a few years ago, we took him out a bunch of times and taught him how to both catch and throw and even hit a little bit. Surprisingly he actually hit worse than he caught or threw.

over the course of about 8 months, he not only learned these things from a starting point of abject atrociousness, but actually got fairly decent at catching. Like a little league level.   But still.

Point is, this is a person with near no coordination or athletic instinct.  He was still able to overcome in his 30s.  So yea, anyone, especially someone already coordinated and accustomed to athletic feats and dexterity challenges, can improve in areas they lack.  

For a RJ, this is even easier I’m sure because he was never nearly as bad a pass catcher as he’s been labeled.  He’s also, despite what some of the clown comments might suggest, actually pretty good at football in general.

Oh dear lord.

Being a natural and smooth pass catcher is something you have or do not have.  Just like having the talent to play in the NFL.  No matter how hard your unathletic friend trains and practices he will never play in the NFL, get it now?

As for RJ’s talent he’s always been terrible at pass blocking, not a natural pass catcher, and even with his speed he is someone who gets what is blocked for him going back to college.  He was overhyped as a prospect and that was clearly exposed last season.

13 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

People only bring up his ability to catch the ball but seem to forget he also struggles in pass protection. 

Mightily.

Probably why he didn’t play much last year even when the Bucs were out of contention.

• Like 1

It's easy to create hype for a dude who was a colossal bust as a rookie. If he is good enough to get on the field and get 500-800 total yards this year that won't help you in fantasy but that's still a massive improvement for RoJo and Tampa.

I'm not sure who that coach guy doing all the pub and tweets is for rjii is...but they look lame.... that said he's def getting a mulligan in my book cause 20 carries does not make a career...I'd like to see more... temper expectations be pleased if he exceeds them... think yup if he doesn't 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Oh dear lord.

Being a natural and smooth pass catcher is something you have or do not have.  Just like having the talent to play in the NFL.  No matter how hard your unathletic friend trains and practices he will never play in the NFL, get it now?

As for RJ’s talent he’s always been terrible at pass blocking, not a natural pass catcher, and even with his speed he is someone who gets what is blocked for him going back to college.  He was overhyped as a prospect and that was clearly exposed last season.

Youre changing the goal line in the argument.  I’m talking about him being a capable pass catcher at RB which I’ve stated numerous times.  Now your upping it to being a natural and smooth pass catcher whatever that means, various things depending who your talking too.

Anyway, thanks for another groundless assertion that says nothing to what matters.

And your judgments regarding RJs skills will be as important to the actual outcome as a fart to the wind.  But thanks anyway I guess.

When people are discussing the possibility of different outcomes, and then you assert that one of those is the true outcome, it’s well..what’s the opposite of prophetic?  As if the people in the conversation were not already aware of the history and one of the various possible outcomes.

But even further to declare a judgement that is highly debatable as truth as opposed to the very loose opinion it is, just is like clouds of stink everywhere.  How do we escape your inspirational and what can only be described as omniscient perspective on such a multivariate and separate human being?  It must get tiring seeing everything everywhere at all points in time on top of being psychically linked to the true nature of all other human beings.

Edited by brakeyawself

https://www.bucsnation.com/2019/7/28/8932437/tampa-bay-buccaneers-bucs-2019-training-camp-day-3-notes-and-highlights

3. The running game looked good, especially Ronald Jones II

It was a limited sample size, but the running game - especially Jones - played well.

He had the best run of the day, a 25- or so-yard touchdown that showed off strength, burst, and long-distance speed.

I guess it's too soon to know about RJ.  I read somewhere that people actually think it's his job for the taking, while other reports say that Peyton Barber will be a projected bellcow based on expectations of him catching a lot of passes.  Not sure what to think of this guy . Obvious bust last year.  But if you can get him for value?  Why not take a chance?

In doing mocks, I've realized just how bad the draft board gets in the 6th or 7th if you're in a 12 or 14 team league.  Jones is going around the same place as Ito Smith, Donta Foreman, Nyheim Hines, Breida, Courtland Sutton, etc.  Even ahead of Peyton Barber himself.  I mean what's there to lose by choosing a guy with draft pedigree and see what happens?

5 minutes ago, CooL said:

I guess it's too soon to know about RJ.  I read somewhere that people actually think it's his job for the taking, while other reports say that Peyton Barber will be a projected bellcow based on expectations of him catching a lot of passes.  Not sure what to think of this guy . Obvious bust last year.  But if you can get him for value?  Why not take a chance?

In doing mocks, I've realized just how bad the draft board gets in the 6th or 7th if you're in a 12 or 14 team league.  Jones is going around the same place as Ito Smith, Donta Foreman, Nyheim Hines, Breida, Courtland Sutton, etc.  Even ahead of Peyton Barber himself.  I mean what's there to lose by choosing a guy with draft pedigree and see what happens?

I think it depends on  your roster construction by the time you get in the 6-7 rounds. If you have 5 really solid floor guys then taking a flier on Jones is a good idea. If you have some risky picks in your top 5 you may want to pivot to a more established player that doesn't have quite the same upside. 

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

https://www.bucsnation.com/2019/7/28/8932437/tampa-bay-buccaneers-bucs-2019-training-camp-day-3-notes-and-highlights

3. The running game looked good, especially Ronald Jones II

It was a limited sample size, but the running game - especially Jones - played well.

He had the best run of the day, a 25- or so-yard touchdown that showed off strength, burst, and long-distance speed.

You can play this game either way.  I wouldn’t put too much stock into a training camp TD.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

You can play this game either way.  I wouldn’t put too much stock into a training camp TD.

You mean an untouched 25 yard semi-sprint doesn’t excite you and get you dreaming RB1?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

I was simply pointing to an article written by a beat reporter that said Jones looked good. That is after we heard Jones looked good in mini-camp. Ignore the reports all you want. He is battling Peyton, not Tiki Barber. If this trend continues there is a decent chance he will be the starting RB on a pretty good offense. That means something to some of us. 

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

I was simply pointing to an article written by a beat reporter that said Jones looked good. That is after we heard Jones looked good in mini-camp. Ignore the reports all you want. He is battling Peyton, not Tiki Barber. If this trend continues there is a decent chance he will be the starting RB on a pretty good offense. That means something to some of us. 

My concern is that he might be the starting RB on a team that has a bad defense and bad O-line that is having to play catch up for most of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

I mean, the starting gig on this team didn’t mean much last season.

My point is scoring a TD in camp doesn’t mean you look good.  It literally means nothing.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

I mean, the starting gig on this team didn’t mean much last season.

My point is scoring a TD in camp doesn’t mean you look good.  It literally means nothing.

I didn't just post a video. I posted an article by a beat guy saying he had a good day.. We've heard others say he's been impressive in mini camp. 

The alternative is hearing he is still struggling. 

We all get that a random training camp run or even a big run in preseason isn't a big deal but when you're battling Peyton Barber who sucks it all adds up. I didn't post the video and say "OMG, first round pick"

It's Tampa Bay, they'll figure out a way to screw this up

41 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

I didn't just post a video. I posted an article by a beat guy saying he had a good day.. We've heard others say he's been impressive in mini camp. 

The alternative is hearing he is still struggling. 

We all get that a random training camp run or even a big run in preseason isn't a big deal but when you're battling Peyton Barber who sucks it all adds up. I didn't post the video and say "OMG, first round pick"

This is actually a great point. Thanks for the post. Let's not forget that last year at this time, Ronald Jones ADP was around the 5th round before a bad camp and preseason had his value plummeting. It's actually good to hear that he is off to a great start. It's still too early to determine anything, but this is a situation to keep an eye on. He is more explosive than Barber, so if he can get in favor of the coaches, there could be some serious value here.

I've heard good things said about both Peyton Barber and Jones this offseason by Arians and his staff.  It still looks like Barber's job to lose but if Jones has a big preseason and shows that his hands have improved for catching passes, that could change.

34 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I've heard good things said about both Peyton Barber and Jones this offseason by Arians and his staff.  It still looks like Barber's job to lose but if Jones has a big preseason and shows that his hands have improved for catching passes, that could change.

Regardless....I think they give rojo a longer look this yr...

2 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Regardless....I think they give rojo a longer look this yr...

They very well could since Jones was a 2nd round draft pick but from some articles that I've read, Barber seems very motivated as well and seems to have a big chip on his shoulder.  Barber has a good story so I root for him and want to see him beat out Jones.

6 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

They very well could since Jones was a 2nd round draft pick but from some articles that I've read, Barber seems very motivated as well and seems to have a big chip on his shoulder.  Barber has a good story so I root for him and want to see him beat out Jones.

I don't disagree much, but I summarise that as: nobody knows yet what's going to happen here. To make matters worse, they also have a rookie in the backfield who under "normal" circumstances might also get some work (Bruce Anderson).

It's just that whenever possible, in past seasons Arians generally went with a bellcow strategy, so you might end up either in a RBBC situation, or if he goes bellcow you might end up with the wrong back. Neither option is particularly attractive.

And for that reason, I'm out.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

I don't disagree much, but I summarise that as: nobody knows yet what's going to happen here. To make matters worse, they also have a rookie in the backfield who under "normal" circumstances might also get some work (Bruce Anderson).

It's just that whenever possible, in past seasons Arians generally went with a bellcow strategy, so you might end up either in a RBBC situation, or if he goes bellcow you might end up with the wrong back. Neither option is particularly attractive.

And for that reason, I'm out.

I agree with you as I think it could end up being a committee if both guys show well in the preseason.  Both guys are definitely talented so I think it comes down to who the coaching staff favors more.  As mentioned, I've read good things about both players in the past few months.  Arians obviously wanted Barber back because they put a second round pick tender on him when he was a restricted free agent but Jones was a 2nd round draft pick so who knows.