RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

Just now, sjm76 said:

I agree with you as I think it could end up being a committee if both guys show well in the preseason.  Both guys are definitely talented so I think it comes down to who the coaching staff favors more.  As mentioned, I've read good things about both players in the past few months.  Arians obviously wanted Barber back because they put a second round pick tender on him when he was a restricted free agent but Jones was a 2nd round draft pick so who knows.

I may well end up with one from the wire. I just as you correctly describe don't really like inveting now when there are more interesting options - and in my experience, someone else will probably pick them up way before I get interested.

More good reports about Ronald Jones that we are all supposed to ignore:

Arians on Ronald Jones' two long runs today: "He's an explosive player. He's going to be a heck of a player for us. He's going to make big plays like that for us … It's going to be a heck of a 1-2 punch. Whichever one's the 1, whichever one's the 2, they're both going to play."

Edit to include video:

Edited by wideopen21
  • Thanks 1

Another big play from Jones today unfortunately followed by a fumble. But clearly showing explosiveness

Edited by wideopen21

11 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

More good reports about Ronald Jones that we are all supposed to ignore:

Arians on Ronald Jones' two long runs today: "He's an explosive player. He's going to be a heck of a player for us. He's going to make big plays like that for us … It's going to be a heck of a 1-2 punch. Whichever one's the 1, whichever one's the 2, they're both going to play."

Edit to include video:

You think that hearing it's going to be a split backfield behind a terrible offensive line is good?

Barber wasn't even a good fantasy asset as a workhorse on this team last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

You think that hearing it's going to be a split backfield behind a terrible offensive line is good?

Barber wasn't even a good fantasy asset as a workhorse on this team last year.

Remember the good old days of  this thread when Andre Ellington was a threat? And there was this undrafted rookie Jones had to be afraid of because he dominated D3 schools? 

Now we are back to the O-line. Yeah, it's not great but they also have a new offense in place that worked pretty well for Johnson back when the Cards oline wasn't exactly elite. 

The point of this thread isn't to convince anyone that Jones is a first round pick in your fantasy drafts. It's just to help spread some news on a player that some left for dead and who may land the starting job on a pretty exciting offense. That means something in the leagues I play in. 

41 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Remember the good old days of  this thread when Andre Ellington was a threat?

And here Bruce is talking up Andre Ellington. He seem to like to talk up his players.  Very Pete Carroll-ish.

We still no idea how this plays out.  Honestly I don’t think it matters that much.  Looks mostly like a full blown committee than anything.

49 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

It's just to help spread some news on a player that some left for dead

Left for dead?  He been drafted ahead of Barber basically all off-season and doesn’t even have the starting job yet.

And watch Andre Ellington return to formal ephemeral glory and make them all irrelevant.

8 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

"The point of this thread isn't to convince anyone that Jones is a first round pick in your fantasy drafts. It's just to help spread some news on a player that some left for dead and who may land the starting job on a pretty exciting offense. That means something in the leagues I play in." 

I drafted Jones in 2 of 3 leagues, ball-carriers get gobbled up pretty quickly. I didn't sense he was a player that going to hang, so I felt like it was a 7th RD commitment or I wasn't getting him. He's my RB4 in both leagues and I drafted RBs after him. Comments pointing out that he hasn't been named the starter in July, I don't know what that is. Racking skull now, it's not done like that anymore, not when there's an established player. The only reason grinding at this time of year ever worked is because they all did it.

Peyton Barber is the one who has earned the lead role. Could be wrong but with Jones it was more about his conditioning than his development. Him getting say, double-digit carries or looks in the 1st preseason game can be viewed both ways I suppose, but I would see it as concerning. If he nails it and then his workload is pared back, it's on!!! I don't see him as a 'back you want to mash with, Barber's presence & role helps Jones. As of right now I think many of us envision the average game script to lean toward Jones' skill set.      

Edited by markrc99

13 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

As of right now I think many of us envision the average game script to lean toward Jones' skill set.      

The Bucs are a 6 win team and Jones can’t catch or pass block....

8 hours ago, Magoo said:

And watch Andre Ellington return to formal ephemeral glory and make them all irrelevant for the 37 minutes he is actually healthy. 

fixed for accuracy. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

And here Bruce is talking up Andre Ellington. He seem to like to talk up his players.  Very Pete Carroll-ish.

We still no idea how this plays out.  Honestly I don’t think it matters that much.  Looks mostly like a full blown committee than anything.

Yeah, he talks up Ellington but not as a lead back. He said that it's basically between Jones and Barber for the lead back role. It's safe to assume that Ellington will be used in the passing game. Most teams use 2-3 backs. The question is who will be the lead back and Jones appears to be trending in the right direction for the lead back role. There is value in being a lead back in an Arians offense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

The Bucs are a 6 win team and Jones can’t catch or pass block....

Who said he can't catch or pass block? Most RBs struggle in pass blocking as rookies. 

From Jones NFL.com Draft Profile listed under STRENGTHS:

• Wasn't prolific as pass-catcher but is more than capable
  • Willing to stand in and offer some blitz protection

From his Walterfootball scouting report:

• Good route-runner
  • Soft hands

From Bleacher report scouting report:

—Has shown the ability to be an impactful receiver out of the backfield.

• Like 2

I just saw this guy go in round 2 of a computer controlled mock.  Yeah, it's only July 31, but what good is a mock draft when the computer chooses this guy in the second despite the rankings having him as RB40?  Maybe it knows something we don't.  Although it seems like best case scenario, it's a 50-50 split on a bad team who will be playing from behind a lot and likely throwing a ton.

Edited by CooL

Will be interesting to see where his ADP goes once pre-season starts. If I recall last year he was going around RD5 at training camp and by the time pre-season was over his ADP was like RD9-10.

51 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

There is value in being a lead back in an Arians offense. 

helps an awful lot when your name is David Johnson ... 

50 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Who said he can't catch or pass block? Most RBs struggle in pass blocking as rookies. 

From Jones NFL.com Draft Profile listed under STRENGTHS:

• Wasn't prolific as pass-catcher but is more than capable
  • Willing to stand in and offer some blitz protection

From his Walterfootball scouting report:

• Good route-runner
  • Soft hands

From Bleacher report scouting report:

—Has shown the ability to be an impactful receiver out of the backfield.

He was very rarely even asked to pass protect at USC and graded out near the bottom of the class.  Then he carried his poor pass protection over to the NFL in his rookie season.

Arians also once claimed they would build the offense around Andre Ellington in Arizona and that he’d get 25-30 touches per game. He broke a lot of hearts that year (2014 I believe).

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

"Some training camp news: Sounds promising."

And that very first sentence, that's what we're talking about!  "One of the running themes of the Buccaneers’ offseason program was positive reviews of the work being done by running back Ronald Jones." This kid is deadly in space & as noted, more than capable of hitting home runs out of their short game.                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Edited by markrc99

27 minutes ago, CooL said:

I just saw this guy go in round 2 of a computer controlled mock.  Yeah, it's only July 31, but what good is a mock draft when the computer chooses this guy in the second despite the rankings having him as RB40?  Maybe it knows something we don't.  Although it seems like best case scenario, it's a 50-50 split on a bad team who will be playing from behind a lot and likely throwing a ton.

Yikes. I would demand my money back for that league. 

6 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Yikes. I would demand my money back for that league. 

Why?  It would be cool to be in a mock draft that Ronald Jones was the programmer for.

Edited by Iron-cock