Gile Pile

LA Lakers 2019-2020 Outlook

8 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

You are a month late buddy ūüėĬ†

I was debating should I respond or not, but I had one question that I must know the answer: 

Are you with FBI, CIA, MI5, CSIS, Mossad or BND so you know what  I do or watch? 

Anyway, great sniper Dany Green has 3P% of 37.9%.   Good enough for  86th best 3pt% between players that attempted 20 or more 3s.

Wait a second, maybe Green  made lots of 3s?  He made 47 (that is 45th best total in the league).

Not bad at all.

Just to give you better context,   his former teammate Patty Mills made 49 at 41.9%

btw,  Green has 7 games (out of 25) where he scored 10+ points. Exactly the same was happening last year with Raptors.

Great signing by the Lakers

That's what type of player he's been in his whole career, streaky. But his shooting and defense helped two franchises win a chip, what's with the hate lol. 

14 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

Lakers 12 straight road wins vs the Heat undefeated home record. Time to put the Lake Show in flames.

spacer.png

Mods please delete this post  -_-

• Haha 1

Just now, DezedandConfused said:

It was a good matchup, wouldnt mind this being the finals matchup lol

It was quite helpful we played the best team in the league twice already. Now I know what we need to make that push. 

Size. One more serviceable big men. I don't know how it will be addressed tho.

3 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

It was quite helpful we played the best team in the league twice already. Now I know what we need to make that push. 

Size. One more serviceable big men. I don't know how it will be addressed tho.

Tristan thompson for Goran lol or klov+zcic for goran+winslow+pick

Here's my analysis of the Los Angeles Lakers having seen all 46 of their games this season and later, my thoughts on what their achilles heel is:

PROS:

• The addition of Anthony Davis. This is a no-brainer.
  • Improved shooting, specifically 3-Point shooting, around LeBron James (retaining KCP, Troy Daniels, Danny Green, Quinn Cook)
  • Quality minutes and acceptance of new roles from their big men (Dwight and JaVale)
  • Great against teams that are horrible at defending (which is currently about 85% of the league)

CONS:

• They are a 2-trick pony. (I'll explore more of this down below)
  • Rely too much on "kick-outs"
  • Struggle against teams that defend multiple positions well
  • No 3rd scorer on the team. (People have been harping on this all-season, but Kuzma is not that guy, and will probably never be¬†that guy¬†as long as LBJ and AD are on the team)

Living in California and having watched close to every Lakers game this season, I've had time to now analyze everything we've seen from the Lakers this season. Most would agree that by December/January, we know what a team is, and what they are not. And with that said, how the Lakers do in the playoffs will likely determine whether or not they need to make changes going into next season.

The Lakers have undoubtedly turned things around this year, with the addition of AD, Danny Green and many other small pieces. And while they are 1 of about 4 teams to "win it all", I wanted to analyze their style of play against both good teams and bad, and to get other peoples opinions (hopefully unbiased), on everything Lakers.

Above is the list of Pros and Cons, but there is 1 CON that I want to speak to the most, as I believe it to be the achilles heel of Lakers, one that might end up costing them a shot at a championship.

THEY ARE A 2-TRICK PONY

Having watched the Lakers back and fourth, one thing has become incredibly clear. The Lakers, as of right now, are a 2-trick pony. They have 2 tricks. 

The 1st: LeBron brings the ball up, dribbles around for a bit, hoping for a defender downlow to fall asleep. Once they do, he usually dribbles inside, waits for the help defense to come to him, and then lobs the ball for either AD, Dwight, or JaVale, for an easy layup, alley-oop, or dunk.

The 2nd: LeBron does much of the same. Brings the ball up, maybe makes a pass or two before getting the ball back. Drives in and/or around a screen, waits for a defender to help, and followed by a quick "kick-out", or pass to whichever SG or SF is open (most commonly Danny Green, KCP, Avery Bradley or Kyle Kuzma).

The 3rd: This isn't really a 3rd, but I think NBA fans will agree, that it should be a 3rd. There seems to be less and less "feed the ball to AD". And feeding him in the post or having him go 1-on-1 with defenders should be a priority. The Lakers seem to dive away from this strategy far too often, especially when they get down in games. Anyways....

Now, to be clear, the Lakers have done a wonderful job at running their offense like this the entire season. And like I said above, the Lakers play GREAT when they are playing horrible defensive teams (which currently encompass 85% of the teams in the league).

HOWEVER, I believe that this style of play will ultimately lead to their demise, unless they change their ways at some point later in the season.

The Lakers seem to struggle the most when they play great defensive teams. Now you might say ("well duh, everyone struggles more against better defensive teams")...

That is mostly true. But great teams, whether they struggle or not, FIND A WAY TO WIN. And right now, I feel as though the Lakers can't get past the hump when the find themselves down against teams like this.

I said above that 1 of their tricks is LeBron dumping it off to the likes of AD, JaVale and Dwight. When they play teams whose big men know how to guard the Lakers, aka, teams who take away the dump offs and alley-oops, the Lakers have STRUGGLED.

Lakers also struggle when, in addition to great BIG play, they play teams who have great wing defenders.

Teams like TOR (Gasol, Ibaka, Lowry, FVV), MIL (Lopez, Giannis, Bledsoe), BOS (Tatum, Smart, Brown, Theis), LAC (Kawhi, PG13, Beverly, Harrell), IND (Brogdan, Turner)

When they play teams like this, they have typically taken away the 2 tricks that the Lakers have been using ALL SEASON.

CONCLUSION: LUCKILY, for the Lakers, the majority of the teams that seem to give the Lakers trouble belong to the Eastern Conference. However, the biggest threat to the Lakers is clearly the Los Angeles Clippers. A team that I would argue, is likely the best defensive team in the league. I just can't see the Lakers winning a 7-game series against any of the teams above (with the exception of the Pacers). 

I believe that the Lakers are going to have to have a Plan C in their back pocket when they face teams like the ones above. Their two-tricks work against teams like DAL, HOU and many others who are gifted offensively, but struggle defensively. Because, at the very least, teams who bring it to the Lakers defensively, typically end up winning their games against them. When they take Dwight and McGee out of the game, the Lakers struggle. When they close in, contest, and guard the Lakers wings, LAL tend to struggle. 

Kuzma likely won't develop into the kind of 3rd option they need, not with AD and LeBron on the team.

This is something the Lakers will eventually have to figure out (as they've proven in the games they've lost), they cannot rely on those two tricks to win a championship against teams that defend multiple positions. 

• Like 3

Excellent write up Cortez.

1. What type of offensive strategy should the Lakers consider implementing your proposed #3 given that AD doesn't want to play center?

2. How important do you think it is for the Lakers to have a consistent 3rd scorer? Or do you think that can address this by changing their strategy for a more balanced contribution from the rest of the team? I say this because the Bucks arguably don't have a solid #2 option in Middleton, but they seem to be doing well in the East.

3. What do you think are some adjustments that the Lakers can make to take away the edge of good defensive teams with good wing defenders?

• Like 1

In my opinion Lakers biggest problem is quality depth. Other than AD, all the other signings are questionable.  Top 2 players on each team, Lakers are (arguably) the best in the NBA.  Counting top 5 players  on each team, Lakers are not in top 3 (Bucks, Sixers and Clippers are). 

They will make it more difficult for AD and LBJ  and other guys need to step up. It was obvious tonight that none of the other guys can do it. That is what Lakers have lost against teams that are top 5 heavy. Lakers 3rd, 4th and 5th options are not at the same level as Bucks, Sixers,  Clippers.  

Our whole team is basically AD and Lebron . We need another quality 3 and D player like RoCo . Or another starting caliber PG , Rondo is just not cutting it . Trade Kuz , I really don’t care at this point . His game has plateaued and all he is an inefficient shooter. Imagine when we were doing all our trades and Kuz was considered untouchable . Boy was that a mistake . Wish we kept Ingram . That kid really exceeded my expectations on the Pelicans. Everyones really .. With that being said, if we’re fully healthy come playoffs, there isn’t a team we can’t beat in 7 

4 hours ago, RunCMC said:

Our whole team is basically AD and Lebron . We need another quality 3 and D player like RoCo . Or another starting caliber PG , Rondo is just not cutting it . Trade Kuz , I really don’t care at this point . His game has plateaued and all he is an inefficient shooter. Imagine when we were doing all our trades and Kuz was considered untouchable . Boy was that a mistake . Wish we kept Ingram . That kid really exceeded my expectations on the Pelicans. Everyones really .. With that being said, if we’re fully healthy come playoffs, there isn’t a team we can’t beat in 7 

The Ingram you see now wouldn't have shown up if he would have stayed with the Lakers. Ingram success came from him having unlimited access to run the floor while (Jrue/Lonzo/Zion) were all in & out of the lineup. You think Lebron would allow Ingram to run the floor? No, Ingram would be another spot up shooter and that's not Ingram game as he can't get into rhythm. 

The crazy thing is that the Lakers have all the pieces its just they are under utilized either with Vogel or Lebron. It's funny to me when I hear the rumors of Derrick Rose to the Lakers when Derrick Rose on the Cavaliers next to Lebron sucked, but previously and after that stint, he has been balling. If you want good players to play well you need the ball (OUT) of Lebron's hands to get a rhythm and thats where the problem come in.

The team is there.

Rondo- Decent PG

Danny Green- Solid 3/D just won a championship

KCP-  Before he came to the Lakers another solid 3/D player from Detroit

Avery Bradley-- Solid D

Then rotting on the bench you have:

Troy Daniels
Quinn Cook -- Very Effective PG won 2 championships with GS providing backup minutes to Curry.

What more do you need? Maybe just get better production out of the guys you currently have instead of trading guys away for great players who become a shell of themselves playing next to Lebron. Trade Kuzma away, I bet he would blossom. 

"KCP-  Before he came to the Lakers another solid 3/D player from Detroit"  

Saying that someone was good before and use it as an argument to prove that his current team is good is very strange.  

Green was barely playable last year in Conference and NBA finals (15% and 26%  3P%). 

Imagine   Redick  on Lakers?   Morris?   Ariza?  Holmes?  Or C that can shoot 3s (Wagner )?

As currently constructed, Lakers need significant upgrade on 3 positions. 

We are kidding ourselves if we think that (assuming health) Lakers can win 7 games  series against Clippers, Bucks or Sixers.  They are just too deep and Lakers role players are not that good.

7 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

The Ingram you see now wouldn't have shown up if he would have stayed with the Lakers. Ingram success came from him having unlimited access to run the floor while (Jrue/Lonzo/Zion) were all in & out of the lineup. You think Lebron would allow Ingram to run the floor? No, Ingram would be another spot up shooter and that's not Ingram game as he can't get into rhythm. 

The crazy thing is that the Lakers have all the pieces its just they are under utilized either with Vogel or Lebron. It's funny to me when I hear the rumors of Derrick Rose to the Lakers when Derrick Rose on the Cavaliers next to Lebron sucked, but previously and after that stint, he has been balling. If you want good players to play well you need the ball (OUT) of Lebron's hands to get a rhythm and thats where the problem come in.

The team is there.

Rondo- Decent PG

Danny Green- Solid 3/D just won a championship

KCP-  Before he came to the Lakers another solid 3/D player from Detroit

Avery Bradley-- Solid D

Then rotting on the bench you have:

Troy Daniels
Quinn Cook -- Very Effective PG won 2 championships with GS providing backup minutes to Curry.

What more do you need? Maybe just get better production out of the guys you currently have instead of trading guys away for great players who become a shell of themselves playing next to Lebron. Trade Kuzma away, I bet he would blossom. 

Only Green and Bradley are solid , Cook was a good signing , that one I like . And Howard is playing quality minutes at the C , as is Javale .  Overall I like our team , said it before we can take anyone in 7 . We just have a very small margin of error , if AD or Lebron have an off game , more than likely we lose that game.  And Let Kuzma go blossom somewhere else that's fine by me .  Theres nothing special about him , just a pure scorer without a lick of defense. As far as Ingram goes , I don't believe that . He's really talented , and we would be a much better team if he stayed . And Lebron is older now , he doesn't mind giving up the rock . It's not the same Lebron from Cleveland , who'd love running point forward . Especially this year , if you watch laker games , he defers alot more to save energy to close out games . Problem is outside of him and AD , they don't have another solid consistent playmaker . Rondo is very up and down , and Kuz as we know can't facilitate . If D Rose came to LA , wow .. watch out .  That I think would push us over the top . 

Rest in peace Kobe Bryant !!

You will forever be missed GOAT

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

"KCP-  Before he came to the Lakers another solid 3/D player from Detroit"  

Saying that someone was good before and use it as an argument to prove that his current team is good is very strange.  

Green was barely playable last year in Conference and NBA finals (15% and 26%  3P%). 

Imagine   Redick  on Lakers?   Morris?   Ariza?  Holmes?  Or C that can shoot 3s (Wagner )?

As currently constructed, Lakers need significant upgrade on 3 positions. 

We are kidding ourselves if we think that (assuming health) Lakers can win 7 games  series against Clippers, Bucks or Sixers.  They are just too deep and Lakers role players are not that good.

You mean the same Mo Wagner you traded away in the Anthony Davis deal? Remember the Lakers traded away Zubac and Beasley for Mike Muscala and didn’t even use him properly? I’m not saying the Lakers are great and can beat anybody at the moment, however if you look at their signings they have legit shooters. 

Look at Lebron James last finals team; I guess you going to tell me that (Jordan Clarkson, Kyle Korver, Jeff Green and Rodney Hood) all forgot how to shoot the ball and contribute in the finals? 

I said ‚Äúwas‚Ä̬†because you think KCP and Danny Green just up and forgot how to play D and shoots 3‚Äôs? Look at Derrick Rose, did great in Minnesota gets to Cleveland looks washed and now on the Pistons he is great again and we should trade for him?

The Grizzlies still holding Andre Iguodala for ransom. Smh.

Green, 3 and D?  D, yes, 3?  ehh

Shooting 37.8% for 3s is not good for someone who is supposed to be 3 and D player.

his 3p% is  124th amongst players that have more than 1 3PM and played in more than 20 games this year

Well... They could've had a gunner that also plays willingly defense in Svi. But traded him away for a Reggie Bullock rental. Sometimes they can't get out of their own way.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Well... They could've had a gunner that also plays willingly defense in Svi. But traded him away for a Reggie Bullock rental. Sometimes they can't get out of their own way.

Exactly it’s as if the Lakers traded away all their three point threats.

Lakers organization and basketball won’t be the same anymore without the one and only kobe 

• Like 3