Gile Pile

LA Lakers 2019-2020 Outlook

On 1/25/2020 at 9:14 PM, Semitar said:

Excellent write up Cortez.

1. What type of offensive strategy should the Lakers consider implementing your proposed #3 given that AD doesn't want to play center?

2. How important do you think it is for the Lakers to have a consistent 3rd scorer? Or do you think that can address this by changing their strategy for a more balanced contribution from the rest of the team? I say this because the Bucks arguably don't have a solid #2 option in Middleton, but they seem to be doing well in the East.

3. What do you think are some adjustments that the Lakers can make to take away the edge of good defensive teams with good wing defenders?

1. I don't believe that AD has to play center for them to implement that strategy more. I've seen games where they've had him at the 4, and have fed him the ball consistently on the baseline and near the elbow. That seems to be when he's most effective. He's too big and too tall to consistently guard each and every possession. I think back to his 40-point explosion earlier this year where he did it in like 3 quarter? People can't stop him consistently. He's got a nice jumper, he's got the strength to back someone down, he's got the length and speed to get to the basket easy...For them to only set that kind of play up 2-3 times a game, is an absolute crime.

Realistically, AD should be going to the FT line a minimum of 8-10 times a night.

2. I believe it just needs to be good team basketball. We've gotten to a point in the NBA where it's all about having 1-2 main scorers, accompanied by 3 and D players and maybe a stretch center. I think obviously, it would be nice if they had a consistent 3rd scorer. But that has yet to come, and likely won't come any time soon. People say "I wish they kept Ingram"...Ingram wouldn't have made that same leap in LA as he has done in NOP. People very rarely grow when they're with LeBron. Moreso, they try to adapt. And Ingram definitely wouldn't have grown with both LeBron and AD, let alone just LBJ. Kuzma now fits in the same scenario. He will never grow as long as LBJ and AD are on the team. At best, he can maybe become a 15-16 PPG kind of guy, but I think realistically, you're not going to see a much better version of Kuzma than you see now, until he's shipped out of LA. In fact, I actually believe he's taken a step back this year, which is unfortunate.

3. Unfortunately, I don't know if there are any GREAT adjustments that the Lakers can make with their current roster construction. Like many teams, the Lakers are the best when they work off fast breaks and push the pace off of defensive rebounds. This is an adjustment that seems to make the most sense, as when you've got LBJ leading a charge on a fast break, it's almost impossible to guard that. Ball movement is key. But unfortunately, KCP, Danny Green, Avery Bradley...All of them are players who can't make their own shots.

But pushing the pace, getting the ball to AD inside the arc seem like the two things I would focus on the most if I were the Lakers, to try and offset the halfcourt defenses.

23 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

The Grizzlies still holding Andre Iguodala for ransom. Smh.

And the grizzlies are AWESOME for doing this. I think all of these contenders thought that MEM would just roll over and give up Iggy for nothing, but they know the value of him. If someone wants him, they're going to have to pay a little something for him.

Edited by CORTEz

Is it already known when the date will be set for the Lakers - Clippers game which was postponed two days ago? 

I havent read anything about a make-up game vs. the clippers being scheduled. Anyone have any insight on when the make up game might be? Could mean huge fantasy implications if LeBron gets another game during one of the playoff weeks (for me at least). 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

4 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I havent read anything about a make-up game vs. the clippers being scheduled. Anyone have any insight on when the make up game might be? Could mean huge fantasy implications if LeBron gets another game during one of the playoff weeks (for me at least). 

The Clippers and Lakers can have their third encounter of the season either on February 19 or April 10. The Staples Center is also free from any other commitments during those dates. The Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League, who also call Staples their home, do not have scheduled home games during that stretch. Most likely April 10th which won't help for most.

Edited by DezedandConfused
  • Like 1