Fenamo

Luisangel Jose Acuña, SS, TEX

And here we go.

A 17 yo (3/12/02) 2018 J2 kid known for his bat and speed. 5'10 155 lb. Batting .368 / .446 / .491 with more walks than strikeouts thus far through 13 games in the DSL. He's a shortstop. He's hitting for more power than expected. Turns out he has a pretty nice bloodline as well.  

With that last name he's going to be snapped out quick if he keeps performing. I would take note in deep dynasty leagues. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa3008765&position=SS

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=682668#/career/R/hitting/2019/ALL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

He’s starting to get some pub, so might as well add him in deep dynasty leagues that let you do so and see how he does.  So far He’s doing pretty well.  He needs to go back for seconds a few more times.  155lb is skinny.  

• Haha 2

He looks like a max effort swinger which isn't unusual given his stature.  It's going to be fun to see how this Acuna develops.  I'm sure his brother will be feeding him right.  His size will improve.

@kidtwentytwo & @I like baseball: When his brother, Ronald, signed he was 5'10 160 lbs (5 lbs more than Luisangel). Acuña Jr., also only signed for $100k. Obviously his pedigree probably inflated his signing bonus a bit but I wouldn't discount Luisangel because of his size or signing bonus. The family is quickly becoming known for their work ethic and wisdom beyond their ages. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/how-the-atlanta-braves-signed-ronald-acuna-jr-c283634544

Edited by Fenamo

On 6/18/2019 at 9:27 PM, Fenamo said:

And here we go.

A 17 yo (3/12/02) 2018 J2 kid known for his bat and speed. 5'10 155 lb. Batting .368 / .446 / .491 with more walks than strikeouts thus far through 13 games in the DSL. He's a shortstop. He's hitting for more power than expected. Turns out he has a pretty nice bloodline as well.  

With that last name he's going to be snapped out quick if he keeps performing. I would take note in deep dynasty leagues. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa3008765&position=SS

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=682668#/career/R/hitting/2019/ALL

It's obscene how well some of these guys swing the bat for only being 17.

• Like 1

His ownership fantrax leagues shot up by 1.4% this week...heading from 0% to 2% ownership. I can't tell if thats mostly due to people in this thread picking him up or legitimate hype but regardless I'm intrigued by the younger Acuna.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

All over this guy like white on rice...Obviously only for deep enough leagues given age but...looks very promising. Great tout, love this forum!

• Like 3

If anyone doesn't think this kid is going to grow, they are out of thier minds.

Picked him up in a heartbeat. 

Edited by RotoCat
  • Like 2

Thanks @Fenamo for the tout.  It will be a slow burn, but if he keeps this up the kid looks like he could probably move state-side soon. If, and when, he does I suspect the prospect mavens will start taking more notice and the hype train may begin.

• Like 1

1-3, 2BBs with 3 runs and an SB today.  Also, he did make his 7th error already at SS in only 17 games.  Something to watch as he progresses in the system.  Any idea why he is listed in box scores as "Cartaya"?  If you go to MilB.com and click on DSL Rangers1, Acuna is actually "Cartaya".  Very bizarre, but if you click on the name he pops up.

Edited by BigPapi44

On 6/21/2019 at 2:30 AM, Maxcd99 said:

His ownership fantrax leagues shot up by 1.4% this week...heading from 0% to 2% ownership. I can't tell if thats mostly due to people in this thread picking him up or legitimate hype but regardless I'm intrigued by the younger Acuna.

It has since shot up to 4%. I dont follow many prospect sites behind paywalls but it still seems like there still isn't many updates on the younger Acuna.

He leads the Dominican Summer League in average hitting .412 in 80 PA, is 3rd in wRC+ behind an 18 year old and Alexander Mojica, who has had his own touts in the deep sleepers thread, third in OBP with .500 (!!!), and 4th in OPS. Not everyone who rakes in the DSL becomes a top prospect, but his combination of stats and genetics is interesting. I hope he continues getting hype, but also would like legitimate scouting info if it can be found since I haven't found much besides his July 2 ranking.

I'm intrigued by this development.

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

1-3, 2BBs with 3 runs and an SB today.  Also, he did make his 7th error already at SS in only 17 games.  Something to watch as he progresses in the system.  Any idea why he is listed in box scores as "Cartaya"?  If you go to MilB.com and click on DSL Rangers1, Acuna is actually "Cartaya".  Very bizarre, but if you click on the name he pops up.

Not sure about this, but I do recall seeing him listed somewhere as "Jose Acuna." I can't remember where though. Jose is his middle name, but it doesn't help that he also shares this with Ronald.

Edited by Maxcd99
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Maxcd99 said:

It has since shot up to 4%. I dont follow many prospect sites behind paywalls but it still seems like there still isn't many updates on the younger Acuna.

He leads the Dominican Summer League in average hitting .412 in 80 PA, is 3rd in wRC+ behind an 18 year old and Alexander Mojica, who has had his own touts in the deep sleepers thread, third in OBP with .500 (!!!), and 4th in OPS. Not everyone who rakes in the DSL becomes a top prospect, but his combination of stats and genetics is interesting. I hope he continues getting hype, but also would like legitimate scouting info if it can be found since I haven't found much besides his July 2 ranking.

I'm intrigued by this development.

Not sure about this, but I do recall seeing him listed somewhere as "Jose Acuna." I can't remember where though. Jose is his middle name, but it doesn't help that he also shares this with Ronald.

Ya, it is bizarre.  I kept thinking he wasn't playing but then clicked on "Cartaya" and Acuna pops up on the site and has the stats of Cartaya.  Agree, would like some first hand accounts.  I suspect we won't hear too much of him unless they decide to bring him state-side.  There will be some organizational views on him provided for prospect lists, I suspect, but not likely many first hand accounts by the prospect mavens, just guys like us dissecting stats. 

If his name wasn't Acuna, I don't think we would be caring this much about an under-sized guy in the DSL. I usually like to see the hit over power guys do it state side before getting hyped personally. 

Best comparable player from last years class is Brayan Rocchio, which assumes he still hits as well when he does come state side. Not saying he isn't going to become a worthwhile prospect. Just find it funny this is the short season pop up guy that gets his own thread already. When I see other guys who are already hitting state side who have upside.

Edited by Slatykamora

The thing about the DSL is that the pitching sucks (as evidenced by the 10-2 no hitter today) and catchers can't throw anyone out.  None the less, he's off to an impressive debut.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

If his name wasn't Acuna, I don't think we would be caring this much about an under-sized guy in the DSL. I usually like to see the hit over power guys do it state side before getting hyped personally. 

Best comparable player from last years class is Brayan Rocchio, which assumes he still hits as well when he does come state side. Not saying he isn't going to become a worthwhile prospect. Just find it funny this is the short season pop up guy that gets his own thread already. When I see other guys who are already hitting state side who have upside.

I think the point from the starter of the thread was to keep a watch on him, not that he is on the same trajectory as his brother or is an uber stud prospect at this point.  No one is saying that.  However, with the bloodlines and his performance, more his crazy BB/K rate, for a kid that just turned 17 years old in March, is pretty good.  Yes, he will get more cred because he has a brother who is a star, but rightly or wrongly, that recognition is likely coming soon once people starting analyzing the stats.  As for him being under-sized, similarly I don't rely too much on DSL listings.  He's listed at 5'10 and 155lbs as a 16 year old coming into the league, I don't think he's finished growing and filling out.  Not saying he will grow or fill out substantially, but a kid at 16 that's 5'10 easily may grow a few inches in the next couple years.  We know his brother, if not the team, will make sure he is well fed and have access to conditioning staff, etc.  

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BigPapi44 said:

I think the point from the starter of the thread was to keep a watch on him, not that he is his on the same trajectory as his brother or is an uber stud prospect at this point.  No one is saying that.  However, with the bloodlines and his performance, more his crazy BB/K rate, for a kid that just turned 17 years old in March, is pretty good.  Yes, he will get more cred because he has a brother who is a star, but rightly or wrongly, that recognition is likely coming soon once people starting analyzing the stats.  As for him being under-sized, similarly I don't rely too much on DSL listings.  He's listed at 5'10 and 155lbs as a 16 year old coming into the league, I don't think he's finished growing and filling out.  Not saying he will grow or fill out substantially, but a kid at 16 that's 5'10 easily may grow a few inches in the next couple years.  We know his brother, if not the team, will make sure he is well fed and have access to conditioning staff, etc.  

You hardly see them get their own threads this early unless they are super toosly(Lucanio). Usually just mentioned in the deep sleepers thread. Did I suggest that anyone thinks he's on his trajectory of his brother? No.

I said that there isn't reason to believe he can't become a worthwhile prospect. I'm simply asking this. Why should I care about this guy over other short season pop ups? Because he is getting way more attention then others beside Lucaino. I've seen a lot of guys in the DSL over the years look great there then crater as soon as they get state side.

Everything I've heard so far is the kid has a feel to hit. Which I like, but so do others that no one cares about right now. Unless you play in a league you can stash an un-limited amount of prospect. This stuff does kinda matter which guys your choose to invest and stash for several years.

51 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

This is pretty true, but I'm riding the wave anyway. I mentioned it before, but part of the problem is that I can't dig up any info on him besides his raw stats. His stats are phenomenal and he's young for the DSL, which are good signs, but the bloodline is what I'm buying for. Besides that I totally agree there's no telltale signs of any success in Luisangel.

1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

Get outta with here with this garbage.  What’s the point of having a minor league forum then?

Regardless of his name, he’s leading the league in average (.408) and has 13 walks vs 6 strikeouts.

I’m in 5 leagues that allow owners to keep 10 minors or more and he’s gone in all 5 leagues.  

This is one of the better touts I’ve come across in this forum.  Thanks for your lame attempt to piss on it.  

Perhaps you’d be more impressed if his name was Luis Angel Lopez instead of Luis Angel Acuna?  Would he be a better prospect in your eyes if that were the case?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strike Three said:

Get outta with here with this garbage.  What’s the point of having a minor league forum then?

I think the point of @Slatykamora's comment isn't to remove lowly prospects to have their own thread. Rather, Luisangel shouldn't be treated like a top 100 prospect or anything close to it. He was unranked in Fangraph's ranking of 37 July 2 prospects in 2018 and was ranked 21st in MLB Pipeline's list. He only signed for $425k and this was after Ronald was one of the top prospects in baseball. There's bloodline but he (supposedly) doesn't have game-changing tools.

That said, he can sure hit. I hope he keeps it up, but he's worth taking a flyer in uber deep leagues. I hope the guy above's comment on him not being in Yahoo's database is satire, as he shouldn't be added in any Yahoo/ESPN leagues at this point unless they use a third party website for a farm system. It is extremely normal for ESPN/Yahoo not to have J2 guys of the previous year in their database as oftentimes they don't even sniff prospect list, let alone being able to debut. There are way more egregious instances of ESPN/Yahoo not having a player than Acuna. 

He warranted his own thread because there was a very little pub on him despite being an Acuna, dominating the DSL, and signing for a decent bonus (nothing extraordinary but more than Ronald did). In leagues where 200 MiLB players or more are rostered, he's a must pick up. For rebuilding teams trying to hit the lottery, he's a pick up. Everywhere else he's just great speculation and a fun guy to pin hopelessly optimistic dreams of the Acuna brothers taking you to ship after ship on. 

• He will be on a lot more top 200 lists with the mid-season update

Edited by Fenamo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fenamo said:
  • and signing for a decent bonus (nothing extraordinary but more than Ronald did). 
  • In leagues where 200 MiLB players or more are rostered, he's a must pick up. For rebuilding teams trying to hit the lottery, he's a pick up.

He signed for a pretty mediocre if not bad bonus and that was during Acuna-mania last season. He's raking DSL but like already mentioned that doesn't always translate to success statewide. He's showed he can hit but there hasn't been much power and he hasn't been known for flashing these tools either.

And he definitely isn't a must pickup in 200 MiLB player leagues...that'd make him about a 45 FV player right now. Heck, fangraphs ranks Victor Victor Messa, the top prospect in the '18 J2 class in the 130s and Luciano elsewhere in the 45 FV range. He does not project to be nearly as good as Luciano from a tools/potential perspective.

I'm all for following him but this is what some people mean when Acuna is said to be getting too much hype. I guess I'm only contributing to it though by replying to this thread.

Edited by Maxcd99

10 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

You hardly see them get their own threads this early unless they are super toosly(Lucanio). Usually just mentioned in the deep sleepers thread. Did I suggest that anyone thinks he's on his trajectory of his brother? No.

I said that there isn't reason to believe he can't become a worthwhile prospect. I'm simply asking this. Why should I care about this guy over other short season pop ups? Because he is getting way more attention then others beside Lucaino. I've seen a lot of guys in the DSL over the years look great there then crater as soon as they get state side.

Everything I've heard so far is the kid has a feel to hit. Which I like, but so do others that no one cares about right now. Unless you play in a league you can stash an un-limited amount of prospect. This stuff does kinda matter which guys your choose to invest and stash for several years.

Hilarious. Why does having this thread bother you so much? Who told you that you had to care? Who forced you into this thread to be a wet blanket? If you aren't interested, simply don't click on the thread on the internet. Groundbreaking solution, I know.

People play in different types of leagues. For mine in particular (not one where you can stash unlimited prospects which you falsely mentioned as the type that should be interested), this was a terrific tout and I'm thankful for the OP. Guess what though? If I wasn't interested or it didn't apply to me, the easy and logical solution would be to move along and let those who it does affect and who do care talk about fantasy baseball prospects on a fantasy baseball forum in the minor league prospect section.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 3