Fenamo

Luisangel Jose Acuña, SS, TEX

Slatykomora and Maxcd99 both make some very valid points.  If his name was Joe Bob, while his numbers still stand out, he certainly wouldn't be as interesting.  That said, the fact of the matter is that his last name is Acuna and he's performing well.  That's going to make you raise an eyebrow and makes him much more intriguing.

3 more hits and 3 more runs today.  Looks like he wants to come stateside now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I like baseball said:

Slatykomora and Maxcd99 both make some very valid points.  If his name was Joe Bob, while his numbers still stand out, he certainly wouldn't be as interesting.  That said, the fact of the matter is that his last name is Acuna and he's performing well.  That's going to make you raise an eyebrow and makes him much more intriguing.

3 more hits and 3 more runs today.  Looks like he wants to come stateside now.

Geez, hitting .427 isn’t enough to raise an eyebrow and make him very very intriguing regardless of name?  

It’s the DSL.  It’s intriguing regardless, just not as intriguing especially if you’re an avid follower of that league.  This is not meant to be offensive to you but I don’t get the vibe that you are.  As someone has already mentioned, pitching is very weak in this league.  It’s hardly uncommon to see a prospect tear  it up there and struggle once they face more advanced pitching to only fall back into obscurity.  

I took the plunge due to this thread.  I’m excited to see how he develops.  Having direct access to his brother from a baseball standpoint and financially only helps his cause and prospect status.  I can honestly say I wouldn’t have if his last name weren’t Acuna.  It’s really early.

• Like 2

The DSL has 44 teams with 30-man rosters. Many of the players are high school age and almost none are over 21. Very few of them will even make it stateside, much less to the majors. It's a level well below even the Gulf Coast or Arizona rookie leagues.

Last year's DSL darling was Malcom Nunez, who slashed 415/497/774. Dynasty owners pounced on him. Scouts were unimpressed. This year he went to Low-A and slashed 183/247/197 before the Cardinals pulled the plug and sent him to advanced rookie ball.

That's not to say Acuna (or even Nunez) can't be really good, but getting excited about DSL numbers is usually a bad idea.

• Like 8

James Anderson has him ranked 52nd citing a potential plus-plus hit tool. Stock value is rising and name brand will carry some trade value. 

Not much going on right now, but you have to love this...

• Like 2

On 6/25/2019 at 5:39 PM, SpartyOn4 said:

Last year's DSL darling was Malcom Nunez, who slashed 415/497/774. Dynasty owners pounced on him. Scouts were unimpressed. This year he went to Low-A and slashed 183/247/197 before the Cardinals pulled the plug and sent him to advanced rookie ball.

His Youtube reel was like a showcase for a Vladito/Sano hybrid. I bit hard, hook line and sinker. Spent a high FYPD pick on him.