crotchcrickets

Zac Gallen 2019 Outlook

4 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Here’s the tweet

What's wrong with Pablo? Fake injury to limit innings hopefully. 

Here is more about what this guy has been doing this year down on the farm:

Craig Mish of FNTSY Sports Radio confirms that the Marlins will promote RHP prospect Zac Gallen to start Thursday against the Cardinals.

Gallen will be making his major league debut against the team that traded him away for Marcell Ozuna in the 2017-2018 offseason. The 23-year-old right-hander has been absolutely dominant this year at the Triple-A level, posting a 1.77 ERA, 0.71 WHIP, and 112/17 K/BB ratio in 14 starts covering 91 1/3 innings. If he wasn't already stashed, he needs to be scooped up off the waiver wire in all mixed and NL-only fantasy leagues.

Source: Craig Mish on Twitter                       Jun 19, 2019, 11:47 AM ET

2 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Gallens of potential for the 🐟!

Good surname for a Marlin

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

[...]

Hes been the top prospect pitcher to hold on many ranking sites for awhile now. Hopefully he delivers! 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Posted (edited)

[...] At least worth a shot if you need a pitcher.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

10 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

He’s expected to be the best fantasy prospect pitcher of 2019

I wouldn't go that far but he has shot up the charts big time and should be a really good one.  My money is still on a healthy Jesus Luzardo or even Casey Mize for "best" in 2019 though.

Where are these lists saying he's a top prospect ?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

https://www.pitcherlist.com/the-stash-06-15-the-top-10-pitching-prospects-to-stash/

Not the top overall pitching prospect. He was just the top one to hold because he was going to get the call and has been tearing it up in triple A.

Edited by buzzkilloton

The numbers are certainly impressive particularity the K/BB and in the PCL no less. But the 4.7 H/9 is absurdly lucky. By comparison soft contact king Mariano Rivera was a career 7.0 H/9. Interested to see how this plays out. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Well he has been shooting up the lists since the season started.  His thread has 10 pages in the minor league forum at this point.  Of course over 8 of the pages are from owners with pitchforks out livid he didn't get the call sooner, hah.  And the reason he didn't probably revolves around Super 2 again and the endless service time calculations on whether the first arbitration year gets pushed back.

But there is some discussion there about him changing his arm slot etc that has lead to his major breakout so far this season. That is why older minor league stats never reflect the true story and even newer ones show a work in progress often times especially with pitchers.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/749883-zac-gallen-sp-marlins/

Also I saw a quote in that thread that said:

Prospect projections are subject to change. Let's do some justice for Zac Gallen, if it's all we can do until he gets the call. He was widely viewed as a back end rotation arm. I was initially higher with a mid-rotation grade, but it's time to view him as having frontline stuff.

— 𝘼𝙣𝙙𝙮 𝙎𝙞𝙣𝙜𝙡𝙚𝙩𝙤𝙣 (@PeoplezPen) June 11, 2019

Anyway he is a favorite for many minor league posters here it seems and for some good reasons.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well he has been shooting up the lists since the season started.  His thread has 10 pages in the minor league forum at this point.  Of course over 8 of the pages are from owners with pitchforks out livid he didn't get the call sooner, hah.  And the reason he didn't probably revolves around Super 2 again and the endless service time calculation on whether the first arbitration year gets pushed back.

But there is some discussion there about him changing his arm slot etc that has lead to his major breakout so far this season. 

http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/749883-zac-gallen-sp-marlins/

Also I saw a quote in that thread that said:

Anyway he is a favorite for many minor league posters here it seems and for some good reasons.

Thanks. Yeah, I am catching up on him in the minor league thread.

[Posts removed.  Let's stay focused on Gallen's fantasy outlook and not what other prospects are getting called up next.]

Thoughts on inning restrictions?  I foresee him pitching well, but ending up like caleb smith...no wins to show for effort..contemplating..to scoop or not to scoop?

1 hour ago, fletch44 said:

He's evolved into a top prospect. Relying on pre-season prospect rankings is a mistake.

Remember before last year when Pete Alonso/Paddack/Riley were ranked in the 40-50 range of all prospects?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NapPYdugout said:

Thoughts on inning restrictions?  I foresee him pitching well, but ending up like caleb smith...no wins to show for effort..contemplating..to scoop or not to scoop?

In 11 of his 14 starts he pitched 6 innings or more. He pitched over 100 pitches 4 times. 

With that said, his career high in innings is 147 in 2017 (133 in 2018). He's already amassed 90 innings this year so maybe he gets up to about 175-180 this year. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

He is worth a speculative add just as much as guys like Austin Riley, Mike Soroka,Senzel, etc.  At the beginning of the season, I was most excited about Soroka, and scooped him.  Then Griffin Canning, who's proving to be possibly the best pitcher on the Angels. 

Next is Gallen, ( Luzardo coming soon! ) who looks incredibly poised on the mound, has excellent stuff, and his wind up + mechanics seems to make it really, really difficult for batters to pick up the ball.  It's obvious Gallen has nice pitches, but there's something about his delivery that's making it nearly impossible for teams to score against him.  When runners do get on base, he pitches just as well from the stretch.  Usually pitching prospects have a noticeable difference in statistics with men on the base paths.  It takes them towards year 2-4 to balance out.  Not the case here.

I would highly recommend dropping the least necessary player on your roster, and grabbing Zac Gallen immediately.  Wins can be obtained from pitchers on Houston, Milwaukee, Atlanta, etc with power house offenses.  A top Marlins pitcher like this is easy to build into your roster.

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Thanks 1

Anyone hear anything about how long he’s expected to stay up? I would hope now that he’s here and on the 40 man he’s here to stay.. but he was the 3rd guy to be called up behind Yamamoto and Hernandez. Any word yet who gets sent down when Smith is back next week? Perhaps it’ll be based off performance of the 3’s next appearances..

picked him up. probably wont do much (comeback and make fun of post if he does please)……..Marlins are not the laughing stock they were at the start of the season. yes, they are bad but they have some assets. (jeter will trade to the Yankees for Brett Gardner)

Figures after picking him up and holding him twice, what looked like it could be quite a while turns out to be tomorrow because of a injury that came out of nowhere.  Obviously didn't hold onto him anymore because it seemed like it would be a while after the other two pitchers they called up came out rolling right away, and couldn't really afford to have the roster spot taken up by somebody like that.  Oh well I guess, although now I am trying to acquire him at least...

Good luck to everybody that does own him though.

31 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

Anyone hear anything about how long he’s expected to stay up? I would hope now that he’s here and on the 40 man he’s here to stay.. but he was the 3rd guy to be called up behind Yamamoto and Hernandez. Any word yet who gets sent down when Smith is back next week? Perhaps it’ll be based off performance of the 3’s next appearances..

Pretty sure Smith comes back this week