crotchcrickets

Zac Gallen 2019 Outlook

A pretty weak lineup for the Dodgers tonight, at least by their standards (Muncy hurt, Martin starting instead of Smith for no reason, and no Pollock).  I was sitting him, but now I'm reconsidering it before gametime.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

A pretty weak lineup for the Dodgers tonight, at least by their standards (Muncy hurt, Martin starting instead of Smith for no reason, and no Pollock).  I was sitting him, but now I'm reconsidering it before gametime.

45 pitches thru 2IP against a weak a** lineup.  Hope you sat heem

15 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

45 pitches thru 2IP against a weak a** lineup.  Hope you sat heem

I did not, but he didn't hurt me too bad in the end.  He ended up pitching ok outside of 2 bad innings, with the 2nd inning being horrible luck.  The ratios weren't anything that can't be erased by one good performance.  Still, my enthusiasm for him has gone down considerably since he was traded to Arizona.  I also thought the trade was going to give him a chance to get more Wins, but it's been just as bad.  Granted last night they were without their two best hitters, but still, he's gotten 1 Win in 5 starts so far.  Some of it has been his own doing, especially not going deep into games at all because he can't finish hitters off, but I still expected better from both their offense and Gallen himself.

Still, he's somebody I'd target next season.  If he can take a step forward and develop a legit putaway pitch, he could be pretty good.  I have a feeling hitters in the minors chased his pitches a lot more than they do in the majors, which has led to him switching from a control pitcher to having issues with walks and his pitch counts in general.  It's not like he threw a ton of balls last night for once, but pitches like his changeup weren't getting chased like some might expect.

5 hours ago, supac720 said:

I'm still confused on why the Marlins gave this guy up tbh.

I think the Marlins will be pondering your same thoughts sooner rather than later.

5 hours ago, supac720 said:

Yeah I was shocked when I saw he had been traded.  He had been performing the best of their Kiddie Korps at the time in Miami even.  Don't even know who the Marlins got back.  Heathcliff Slockum maybe, heh?

Anyway Gallen is probably thrilled they did.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

13 hours ago, supac720 said:

Same with Yelich, Stanton, Ozuna and Realmuto. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah I was shocked when I saw he had been traded.  He had been performing the best of their Kiddie Korps at the time in Miami even.  Don't even know who the Marlins got back.  Heathcliff Slockum maybe, heh?

Anyway Gallen is probably thrilled they did.

Marlins got Jazz Chisholm (SS) who was the Diamondbacks #1 prospect. Was a good trade for both as the Marlins had an abundance of young arms close to MLB ready and a lack of organizational bats in the minors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Marlins got Jazz Chisholm (SS) who was the Diamondbacks #1 prospect. Was a good trade for both as the Marlins had an abundance of young arms close to MLB ready and a lack of organizational bats in the minors.

Thanks.  But it was a really bad trade for Miami because they indeed do have an abundance of good arms and could have traded someone else other than their very best arm of the bunch.  Also I'm not sold on Jazz being that big of a deal.  A major leaguerer maybe but I don't think he has top tier talent.  Arizona scored big in that trade.

This guy might be my top sleeper SP for next year. Please shut him down soon to keep the secret under wraps.

Who does he compare to? A solid pitch repertoire that relies on a changeup...

Is he a poorman’s right handed Cole Hamels? Or Kyle Hendricks with a higher ceiling?

9 hours ago, UberRebel said:

This guy might be my top sleeper SP for next year. Please shut him down soon to keep the secret under wraps.

Who does he compare to? A solid pitch repertoire that relies on a changeup...

Is he a poorman’s right handed Cole Hamels? Or Kyle Hendricks with a higher ceiling?

Hendricks may be a good comp, but so far he's shown the ability to strike guys out at a higher rate.

2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Hendricks may be a good comp, but so far he's shown the ability to strike guys out at a higher rate.

Agreed. Gallen is like Hendricks...only better. No doubt Gallen is better with the punch outs. He’s also probably a better pitcher than Hendricks all things considered too. Only spot Hendricks has the edge is with win count potential. But considering wins are almost entirely not an indicative measure as to how good a pitcher actually is....come to think of it, maybe Hendricks isn’t such great of a comp after all. Might even go so far to say Hendricks is a poor man’s Gallen. Okay, maybe not a poor man’s Gallen, but how about Gallen-lite? Yeah, that’s it. Hendricks is Gallen-lite. The diet version; like diet rite or Tab. 

A better comparison for Gallen might be Shane Bieber: age-wise, talent-wise, and counting stat-wise. Bieber’s proven to be a plus in the K department, low ERA, low WHIP, and he sports elite command. And although Gallen got off to a real rough start in that last department (command), there’s no doubt that good to great command is within his makeup/abilities. In fact, over his last several starts, Gallen’s already begun to harness it.

Hell, I think I may have just convinced myself...yup, I have; that’s it: Zach Gallen is top 20 SP material, and he’s top 20 SP material beginning in 2020. F**k it, I’d have his kid. Write that down. Well, not the kid part, but the other thing though; the part about him being top 20 SP, possibly as soon as next season, that part; write that down. 

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Gallen was a touted prospect who has delivered in his first crack at the highest level.  Not sure he could be viewed as a "sleeper" going into 2020 -- maybe you mean "breakout"? 

He is going to get drafted, most likely in the mid rounds, in all but the shallowest leagues next season unless something unfortunate happens between now and then. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Agreed. Gallen is like Hendricks...only better. No doubt Gallen is better with the punch outs. He’s also probably a better pitcher than Hendricks all things considered too. Only spot Hendricks has the edge is with win count potential. But considering wins are almost entirely not an indicative measure as to how good a pitcher actually is....come to think of it, maybe Hendricks isn’t such great of a comp after all. Might even go so far to say Hendricks is a poor man’s Gallen. Okay, maybe not a poor man’s Gallen, but how about Gallen-lite? Yeah, that’s it. Hendricks is Gallen-lite. The diet version; like diet rite or Tab. 

A better comparison for Gallen might be Shane Bieber: age-wise, talent-wise, and counting stat-wise. Bieber’s proven to be a plus in the K department, low ERA, low WHIP, and he sports elite command. And although Gallen got off to a real rough start in that last department (command), there’s no doubt that good to great command is within his makeup/abilities. In fact, over his last several starts, Gallen’s already begun to harness it.

Hell, I think I may have just convinced myself...yup, I have; that’s it: Zach Gallen is top 20 SP material, and he’s top 20 SP material beginning in 2020. F**k it, I’d have his kid. Write that down. Well, not the kid part, but the other thing though; the part about him being top 20 SP, possibly as soon as next season, that part; write that down. 

When you "write that down", make sure to spell his name correctly... 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

When you "write that down", make sure to spell his name correctly... 😉

True story, no lie:  grew up with a guy - grade school, junior high, high school; the whole nine - named Zach Gallen, spelled exactly just like that -- with the "ch" spelling; none of this silent "H" less "Zac" bullsh**t.  Anyhow - I have not, for the life of me, been able to not visualize, nor - clearly - not type his name ("his" being the dude who pitches for the Diamondbacks, and before that, the Marlins) without having that warm & cozy, comfortable, accompanying silent "H" attached in the spelling of that goddamn name.

All season long, since before he was even a twinkle of a AAA phenom in my eye, it's been "Zach" no matter how hard I've tried to kick the habit (don't ask me about the name Zack though; that's like a whole other animal). I'm seeing someone about that, but it's a process. In the meantime, it continues to be a struggle. Every day is a battle. But each passing day, incrementally, is a little bit better than the one that came before.

It's a helluva of a thing you know; growing up with a guy named Zach Gallen...and one who was a solid JV baseball player back in high school no less; even pitched for a hot minute there - and then BAM!  You wake up one day, some 25-30 odd years later, having some 24 year old hot-shot rookie phenom pitcher named Zac Gallen burst onto the scene.  All I ask is that you please cut me some slack; ya know, respect the process.  Thanks 😁

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Like 2

I actually think Gallen profiles closely to a young version of Zack Greinke. With command gains this offseason, he could be a force to be reckoned with next year. Love what I've seen out of his ability to limit hard contact + great K rates. 

On 9/5/2019 at 2:14 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Thanks.  But it was a really bad trade for Miami because they indeed do have an abundance of good arms and could have traded someone else other than their very best arm of the bunch.  Also I'm not sold on Jazz being that big of a deal.  A major leaguerer maybe but I don't think he has top tier talent.  Arizona scored big in that trade.

You have no idea if AZ would have done the trade for any of the other pitchers. And you can't say it was a really bad trade for Miami just because you personally don't think Jazz is good. What are you even basing that evaluation on?

I'm guessing Gallen is basically shutdown for the final week+ of the season.  He's having his start tomorrow skipped.  If they were willing to give him another start before the season, you think it would have been tomorrow and then just shut him down afterwards.  Sucks since it was a good matchup tomorrow, going up against San Diego.

9 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I'm guessing Gallen is basically shutdown for the final week+ of the season.  He's having his start tomorrow skipped.  If they were willing to give him another start before the season, you think it would have been tomorrow and then just shut him down afterwards.  Sucks since it was a good matchup tomorrow, going up against San Diego.

In my championship where I held him all week. This one hurts. 

44 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Are you 100% sure about that though (just asking)? I still have Paddack on my team so I may drop him and pick up Roark/Boyd for Sunday if need be in lieu of Gallen (so no biggie), but from the tweet it seems that he's skipping just one start??

18 minutes ago, fredo_corleone said:

Are you 100% sure about that though (just asking)? I still have Paddack on my team so I may drop him and pick up Roark/Boyd for Sunday if need be in lieu of Gallen (so no biggie), but from the tweet it seems that he's skipping just one start??

No, just going by what is on Rotoworld.  Nothing has been mentioned for anything beyond his next start, but it is true that it makes no sense to skip him tomorrow and then still pitch him sometime next week.

6 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

No, just going by what is on Rotoworld.  Nothing has been mentioned for anything beyond his next start, but it is true that it makes no sense to skip him tomorrow and then still pitch him sometime next week.

Agreed. Just going to hold onto him just in case.