crotchcrickets

Zac Gallen 2019 Outlook

On 9/12/2019 at 5:16 PM, cs3 said:

You have no idea if AZ would have done the trade for any of the other pitchers. And you can't say it was a really bad trade for Miami just because you personally don't think Jazz is good. What are you even basing that evaluation on?

I’m not BBT, but just guessing, I’d say maybe his milb career 30% k-rate (32% this yr)...or his paltry career .327 OBP...or uninspiring career .788 OPS. I’m not being snarky btw, but rather I’m trying to offer some reasons. I’ve never actually seen him play, but I know he’s someone that is considered fo have a lot of promise. Looking at those, I can understand why BBT wouldn’t be high on him. Maybe he has other reasons. 

2 hours ago, indycolts88 said:

Brutal development.  Hate to have @San Diego missed even if he pitches next week. 

yeah this is brutal. i had him lined up for today needed him in my semi finals..  i was thinking maybe Fried vs giants at home as replacement? hmm

I think it is too early to judge the Gallen/Jazz swap.  It was definitely a nice buy low/ sell high swap in the sense that Jazz was a top 100 preseason prospect and Gallen was a no name.  It is not surprising that Gallen would deliver early MLB returns since he has a premium changeup, next year will be the real test after hitters adjust.  Jazz is still a legit power speed threat and true shortstop so he could turn into something.

by RotoWire Staff
(6 hrs ago) Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said Gallen may not pitch again this season, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports.

Lovullo said Gallen's scheduled start Saturday is being skipped in favor of Luke Weaver (elbow) returning from the injured list, and then acknowledged it is possible Gallen will not pitch again this season. The rookie right-hander has thrown a career-high 171.1 innings combined between the majors and minors, so the team was already thinking about capping his season. Earlier this month, Lovullo said they would continue to use Gallen as long as the playoffs were a possibility. Arizona entered play Friday technically still alive for a wild-card spot, albeit facing long odds.

Is Gallen 100% officially done for this year? What I'm hearing is that it's likely he's done for the season, but the schedule for probable starters for the Padres series hasn't been released yet. 

I'm thinking he's done. The only small chance would be if the DBacks somehow win every game and the Brewers lose everyone. I think that would give Studies Arizona a small chance. Otherwise they have no reason to start him.