Sign in to follow this  
mocha4313

Buy low on Stanton? WHIR 100%

Discussing an offer where I give up Rhys Hoskins and Fernando Tatis Jr for Stanton. I am trying to get him to include Mondesi in the deal but not sure if it will happen.

This is a redraft points league where steals are devalued, Ks are penalized and walks rewarded.

As it stands, is this a quality buy low on Stanton or an overpay? With Story out, I would have to dig really deep to find a replacement for Tatis (my only SS), like Kevin Newman-Eric Sogard-Brendan Rodgers level (maybe Didi if he clears waivers or Bichette when he gets the call)

The advanced stats on Hoskins and Tatis worry me a bit but not sure if this is the right move.

Current roster

C- Grandal 1B: Rizzo 2B: (Empty) SS: Fernando Tatis Jr. 3B: Matt Chapman CINF: Josh Donaldson MINF: (Empty)

OF: Hoskins, Yordan Alvarez, Eloy Jimenez, Judge, Soto UTIL: Nelson Cruz

SP: Verlander, Snell, Gerrit Cole, Nola, James Paxton, Flaherty, German Marquez, Gallen, Lucchesi, Lance Lynn

BN: Meadows DL: Scooter Gennett, Altuve, Glasnow, Story

Thoughts? WHIR 100%

In a league where you get penalized for K's are you sure you want Stanton?  Also, even if they threw back Mondesi it's not as much of a benefit in a league with your settings.  He doesn't walk a lot & you said walks are rewarded but on the flipside he steals a lot & you said SB's are devalued.  I'm not against trading Hoskins but see if you can trade him to strengthen the back end of your rotation instead of adding more firepower that you really don't need.

Thanks for the help with mine!!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mets 24 said:

In a league where you get penalized for K's are you sure you want Stanton?  Also, even if they threw back Mondesi it's not as much of a benefit in a league with your settings.  He doesn't walk a lot & you said walks are rewarded but on the flipside he steals a lot & you said SB's are devalued.  I'm not against trading Hoskins but see if you can trade him to strengthen the back end of your rotation instead of adding more firepower that you really don't need.

Thanks for the help with mine!!

Thanks for the help. I agree Stanton is not the ideal points league player and Mondesi definitely is not. But Hoskins and Tatis strike out a fair amount while Tatis also has the SBs devalued. Hoskins does however make himself a better asset in this league with his walks. Thanks again

Hoskins and Stanton seem to offer similar production for a league with those settings. Maybe Stanton has better HR/RBI's in that killer NY lineup but Hoskins shouldn't be far behind. I don't see a big enough reason or upgrade here at all to bother, especially if you go from Tatis even if he K's a lot to a lousy FA. Newman hasn't been bad but wouldn't trust him ROS and certainly not Sogard. Rodgers being a rookie will likely strike out quite a bit, especially since he might be pressing trying to prove to COL he belongs in the bigs this year and not triple A. If they threw Mondesi in, he's someone who doesn't strike out as often as Hos/Stanton/Tatis, but I'm not sure they would add him to the mix. I would pass unless you could get Mondesi personally. 

• Thanks 1

pass. tatis is too good to add in with Hoskins. then you also have to factor in the huge downgrade at ss.

• Thanks 1

Your OF is already stacked. Look like a shallow league. Is there a SS on the WW thats nearly as good as Tatis? If you can pickup a really good SS on WW to fill in until Story comes back it makes since. I think Stanton is a upgrade over Hoskins.

• Thanks 1

This is a close one. I typically want to be getting the best player in the deal, and I think in this case it is Stanton. On the other hand, I don't know if he's the best player by such a wide margin that it's worth giving up those two players. I think it's smart to be targeting Stanton but this is more a "want" than a "need" for you. In fact, the trade will create a "need" at SS. I probably would not pursue this exact deal.

• Thanks 1

Think I would stick with Rhys & Tatis. Stanton & Rhys are similar, but feel you lose value, if you dont have a solid SS option. Especially if Story is out for a very long period of time. 

• Thanks 1

Pretty surprised at the consensus being opposed. I have been seeing a lot about Hoskins and Tatis being sell highs (at least in redraft) with their statcast metrics. Thank you to everyone who has answered so far.

9 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

Your OF is already stacked. Look like a shallow league. Is there a SS on the WW thats nearly as good as Tatis? If you can pickup a really good SS on WW to fill in until Story comes back it makes since. I think Stanton is a upgrade over Hoskins.

The best SS in the free agency pool are Kevin Newman, Eric Sogard and Brendan Rodgers lol. Didi (after he clears waivers) and Bichette (until he gets called up) are also options. Only 8 team league so shallower than I am used to but the FA pool looks more like it would in a 10 teamer

Cheese steak & Socal stay on you're team, dangle a mt for Pinstripes straight up.