2ndCitySox

2019 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

Charlie Blackmon out of the lineup again for the 2nd day in a row... 😲

Posted (edited)

Buster tweeting Rival evaluators expect Edwin Diaz to be dealt

with the Red Sox as the team most invested

EDIT: why is evaluators coming up as spelled wrong and auto corrects to evaporators SMH 

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

Charlie Blackmon out of the lineup again for the 2nd day in a row... 😲

Might be smart long term for Rox to sell high? 🤔 

26 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I would assume that would be for a good reason. One more year at a ridiculous price. One more year ....

Because their window to win like most all teams isn't that large.  You go for it when you are position to go for it and not wuss out for some fantasy future that probably will never come.  And it is an arbitration year, not free agency.  They had already pushed FA back a year.  Arbitration salaries are not anywhere as a high as a free agent's salary.

10 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Buster tweeting Rival evaluators expect Edwin Diaz to be dealt

with the Red Sox as the team most invested

EDIT: why is evaluators coming up as spelled wrong and auto corrects to evaporators SMH 

Lol, I thought these new cell phones were supposed to be smart 👴🏻 

wonder if Diaz comes at a discount and I also wonder if Diaz would thrive in BOS. 

Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

Lol, I thought these new cell phones were supposed to be smart 👴🏻 

wonder if Diaz comes at a discount and I also wonder if Diaz would thrive in BOS. 

Would he be the instant closer there, is my question.  Especially because of the year he's having. 

4 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Would he be the instant closer there, is my question.  Especially because of the year he's having. 

Might ease him in but would assume closer is the goal. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

I would think so if that happens. 

Edited by BostonCajun
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, B&F said:

I do not blame these teams with players for trade not moving them.  Why trade a player when the return is so little?  

Most prospects after #100 don't amount to anything that can't be found on the street corner.  

Respectfully that's a bad take. 

Great professional scouts can find that diamond in the rough and get him in a deal.

James Shields for a relatively unknown and unranked Fernando Tatis, Jr.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Blackmon's Coors vs Road Splits should scare off any suitor. 

Dombrowski has always neglected the bullpen.  Criminally while here in Detroit.  It never seemed to sink in after all these years. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Good move here.

Couple of things here - He never was the same after his hammy injury. Mechanics got out of whack and his fastball command completely disappeared.

Brewers know him well as they were the ones to get great performance from him last year albeit in a small sample size. That pitching coach knows how to get his stuff to play up.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Might be smart long term for Rox to sell high? 🤔 

They never should have extended him. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Diaz would 100% be the closer if they dealt for him. 

Should they deal for him?   That's a different question.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Good move here.

Couple of things here - He never was the same after his hammy injury. Mechanics got out of whack and his fastball command completely disappeared.

Brewers know him well as they were the ones to get great performance from him last year albeit in a small sample size. That pitching coach knows how to get his stuff to play up.

The pitching coach from 2018 is Derek Johnson who is now the pitching coach for the Reds and yes he's absolutely amazing. I hope he replaces Maddon as the Cub's coach.

• Like 1

Feels like one of those "flip that house" kinda TV shows for the Mets. 

Mets essentially traded Dunn (4) and Kelenic (3) plus Bruce et al for Cano/Diaz. Traded Kay (4)/Woods-Richardson (6) for Stroman. 

Will their return yield more than the youngsters they dealt? It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Diaz would 100% be the closer if they dealt for him. 

Should they deal for him?   That's a different question.

after taking 3 out of 4 from the yanks, and having 8 more games against them (4 in ny, 4 in bos),  their  confidence is probably high.  with snell hurt, and glasnow out still...boston probably assumes they are at very least the 2nd best team in the division, and can probably get to host the WC game at the least.

Edited by jfazz23

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

They never should have extended him. 

What? He’s been exactly as expected since signing. Rock solid offensively and pedestrian at best defensively. Besides that he’s an absolute fan favorite and all around great representative for the team. 

All Rockies fans I know are adamantly opposed to trading him. 

Edited by tsh00k
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tsh00k said:

What? He’s been exactly as expected since signing. Rock solid offensively and pedestrian at best defensively. Besides that he’s an absolute fan favorite and all around great representative for the team. 

That contract will be an absolute albatross and huge mistake in another two years. Yes he’s a fan favorite , but I don’t think that makes him worth $21 million a year into his age 37 season. I can see him eventually moving to first base because his defense is already getting bad in the OF 

Edited by huskadeez
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

after taking 3 out of 4 from the yanks, and having 8 more games against them (4 in ny, 4 in bos),  their  confidence is probably high.  with snell hurt, and glasnow out still...boston probably assumes they are at very least the 2nd best team in the division, and can probably get to host the WC game at the least.

I really wanted the Yanks to get Stroman. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tsh00k said:

@huskadeez nailed it above. 

Giving 5 year extensions to players over 31 isn't smart.

13 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I really wanted the Yanks to get Stroman. 

they wanted gleyber torres.

plus Stroman is a #3.  yanks dont need a number 3, they already have at least 3 of them.  they need someone to match up with Cole/Verlander.  and that doesnt seem to be available.  the best you can hope for is Severino coming back in a month and looking like severino of first half 2018 and 2017

4 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

plus Stroman is a #3.  yanks dont need a number 3, they already have at least 3 of them.  they need someone to match up with Cole/Verlander.  and that doesnt seem to be available.  the best you can hope for is Severino coming back in a month and looking like severino of first half 2018 and 2017

No one is going to matchup with Cole Verlander effectively.   Maybe Max and a hot Stras or Corbin?  Ryu and an on his game Buehler?  

Yankees just played two playoff caliber offenses in Minny and Boston and their starters got absolutely blown the F up.   Yeah,  Stroman would have been an upgrade.  Worth Gleyber?  Absolutely not but Kay and Woods are a far cry from Gleyber.

Happ sucks 

Paxton is wildly inconsistent 

CC isn't healthy

Tanaka is mediocre at best. 

German is good. 

At least Stroman competes his balls off when he takes the mound.   His team has been outgunned all year in that division yet he's kept those bums in every game he's pitched.   Compare that to Tanaka and Paxton who rolled over like dogs this past weekend. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

They were not getting Gleyber ... the Mets gave up the #4 & 6 prospects of the organization. 

Stroman this year is NOT pitching like a #3 ... I had this feeling he would have been a perfect fit in New York, going home. gStroman, German & Severino (?) might have been a great playoff threesome 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

I think GMs float crap like this so their fan base excuses them when they don’t make a move. Because we can’t really believe TOR wanted Gleyber for Stroman, but then shifted gears and thought, “eh, let’s take two Mets prospects that aren’t even in the top 100 overall.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I think GMs float crap like this so their fan base excuses them when they don’t make a move. Because we can’t really believe TOR wanted Gleyber for Stroman, but then shifted gears and thought, “eh, let’s take two Mets prospects that aren’t even in the top 100 overall.”

Perhaps but Toronto would have wanted more from the Yankees than the Mets anyway because they are in the same division which means traditionally you don't even trade to then let alone give away your best pitcher to them for mere Met-sized peanuts.