2ndCitySox

2019 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

18 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Good move here.

Couple of things here - He never was the same after his hammy injury. Mechanics got out of whack and his fastball command completely disappeared.

Brewers know him well as they were the ones to get great performance from him last year albeit in a small sample size. That pitching coach knows how to get his stuff to play up.

I thought it was a fine move, they might be able to fix him...but unfortunately that pitch coach that did last year is now in Cincy...somehow coaxing pretty decent performances outta that staff, and he pretty well fixed Sonny. Meanwhile the Brewers' staff has really sucked without him (other than Woodruff)...

• Like 1

Marcus Stroman should be in pinstripes if Brian Cashman had half a brain, even with his 7.15 k/9 & that whatever his xFIP is actually is. There is no confusion I believe in Marcus Stroman. A man possessed coming home to New York a 20 game winner for years to come and I could actually see him winning numerous cy-young’s. A miss opportunity time to move on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, B&F said:

Yankees remind me of the 2011 Mariners.  Crushed during the regular season but not enough pitching to do well in the playoffs.

You sure you don't meant the 2001 Mariners? They were stacked but couldn't get it done come September due to their pitching.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

It's not a matter of whether or not Stroman is better than Happ, or German, etc.  I think most in here would concede, as would I, that Stroman (currently) is better than those guys.  In a vaccum I'd prefer to have Stroman on the mound vs Houston than I would a Happ or Paxton for example.   This is not the point of contention.

The point of contention is whether or not it's worth it for the Yankees to give up Frazier & Garcia, or whichever top talents the Yankees would have to give up, to go from Happ or Paxton to Stroman.  Does Stroman move the needle to the point that losing Garcia is worth while?  I say no.   Now if it's for a bigger, more talented, front line arm like Thor or Bauer that's a different story.   Anyone can pitch well, or pitch poorly, in a single start in the playoffs.  By the numbers tho, I don't think there is a drastic difference in the odds that Stroman pitches any better than Paxtion, Happ, or German can.  Certainly not by any odds that I'd risk Frazier or Garcia for.

Last point, the playoffs don't start today.  We have a full 2 months to go before they do.  A lot can happen from now until then.  Paxton could right the ship, as could Happ who was very serviceable last year, and Severino could be 100% healthy come Oct 1. 

Well I compare some of that to an owner in an auction league who refuses to pay an extra $5 for a top round player because he is not worth it and loses the title in the end because of it.  From a value perspective he was probably right.  From a practical\results perspective, he was penny-wise and pound foolish as the saying goes.  Frazier is not in their plans.  That is obvious to everyone at this point.  Not saying I would give him away, but I would have had no problem dealing him for Stroman.  if the Jays were unreasonable beyond that, and wanted Garcia et. al., that is another matter.  We do not know what the offers were as it is all hearsay and speculation.  All we know is the Jays did not really get a lot for him in the end imo and you can certainly debate whether what they got was better than Clint Frazier straight up.

And for a team with a 200M payroll to have to play a hope game for their playoff pitching results is sort of ridiculous on the face of it.  Let's hope these guys get better...let's hope these guys get healthy.  That may all be true as I noted myself previously, but it is still folly for a team like the Yankees to think that is a rationale approach to winning a pennant imo.

19 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

If I'm the Yankees there is no way I am adding a another lefty starter. They need a righty to go against Twins, Red Sox, Astros who are 3 of the top 4 teams in the AL in OPS against lefties. 

Then again they beat up righties just the same.:D

Yankees need quality starters. Righties would be preferable but it's not like they have a ton of options. 

26 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

If I'm the Yankees there is no way I am adding a another lefty starter. They need a righty to go against Twins, Red Sox, Astros who are 3 of the top 4 teams in the AL in OPS against lefties. 

Then again they beat up righties just the same.:D

This is a good point. If I’m in the NL and looking at needing to beat the Dodgers, I’m going after Minor and Boyd. But the Yankees acquiring a RHP probably makes more sense.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Yankees need quality starters. Righties would be preferable but it's not like they have a ton of options. 

The starters they are looking at are no better than what they have now. They need to overpay for Castillo, Bauer, Thor, or even Wheeler if they want to win a WS. Plain and simple. They aren't winning one with Tanaka, German and Big Maple.

14 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

The starters they are looking at are no better than what they have now. They need to overpay for Castillo, Bauer, Thor, or even Wheeler if they want to win a WS. Plain and simple. They aren't winning one with Tanaka, German and Big Maple.

Bauer is supposedly unavailable.  Castillo is unlikely to be available. Wheeler sucks and can't pitch in the NL East, so why would they want him for the AL East?...maybe if he came cheap enough.  As for Syndergaard, the chance the Mets trade him to the Yankees is somewhere between nil and zero imo.  They will not do it on general principles unless there has been a change in attitude with the Wilpons.  And even if they gave it lip service, they would want some ridiculous return they know Cashman is never going to agree to.  Bottom line is there likely are not any starters better than the Ray types around which is why they are likely to end up with one of them for pitching depth and bolster their BP.  It is a failure on Cashman to secure the right SPs last off season (nothing new there).  It is unlikely to get fixed now so all they can do is make the best of it and bolster what they can and hope their hitters get the job done and out club their opponents in the playoffs.

Edited by secretagentman

23 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

"Thanks for inquiring about the availability of our distressed asset as a supplement to your starting rotation.  It would really be a shame if something happened to him tonight in a meaningless interleague matchup.  Our phone lines are open."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

Bauer is supposedly unavailable.  Castillo is unlikely to be available. Wheeler sucks and can't pitch in the NL East, so why would they want him for the AL East?...maybe if he came cheap enough.  As for Syndergaard, the chance the Mets trade him to the Yankees is somewhere between nil and zero imo.  They will not do it on general principles unless there has been a change in attitude with the Wilpons.  And even if they gave it lip service, they would want some ridiculous return they know Cashman is never going to agree to.  Bottom line is there likely are not any starters better than the Ray types around which is why they are likely to end up with one of them for pitching depth and bolster their BP.  It is a failure on Cashman to secure the right SPs last off season (nothing new there).  It is unlikely to get fixed now so all they can do is make the best of it and bolster what they can and hope their hitters get the job done and out club their opponents in the playoffs.

He is better than every healthy starter they have right now with maybe the exception of German but they are pretty equal imo.

Edited by duke of queens
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Yankees supposedly are dangling Paxton with prospects. Color me intrigued. 

who the hell would want paxton?

• Haha 2

Would be interested in the Astros go after a big name SP to think about future Verlander replacement

1 minute ago, herschel said:

Mets? Gotta corner that market.

Edited by Baur10
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, herschel said:

Just now, Baur10 said:

Mets?

thor and diaz for paxton frazier andujar? maybe even throw in johnny lasagna if need be?

Just now, Dirty Little Birdie said:

thor and diaz for paxton frazier andujar? maybe even throw in johnny lasagna if need be?

this looks like more of a fantasy trade than a real life mlb trade.  not saying it couldnt happen, but if i were the mets, would rather take a shot on a prospect arm than take paxton....

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

We may have already seen the biggest trade of the deadline (emphasis on dead)

Not out of the question.  No idea why these teams have a desire to hold onto these replacement level prospects.

12 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Yankees supposedly are dangling Paxton with prospects. Color me intrigued. 

Where you hear that