1972Miamidolphins

A.J. Green 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

I was really liking the idea of him possibly going to the Saints or Packers lol. Imagine him with an elite QB not having to be the only option on the field. Playing opposite other world class WR’s would’ve opened up a lot of big plays for him. 

• Like 2

CIN is an utterly inept franchise, so naturally they wouldn't consider trading AJ. 

AJ should not negotiate at all with them, sit out the season and get himself out of there.

29 minutes ago, JooCraig said:

I was really liking the idea of him possibly going to the Saints or Packers lol. Imagine him with an elite QB not having to be the only option on the field. Playing opposite other world class WR’s would’ve opened up a lot of big plays for him. 

I would never want him on either team... so he fights targets w Thomas and Adams? Give me the pats, Seahawks, bills, jets etc. teams with okay qbs at worst (better than Dalton), without a wr who would ever come before him in the depth chart

EDIT: then again who would cover both Thomas/green or Adams/green lol someone would be left open. Only passes would go to them haha

Edited by Zekepeak86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zekepeak86 said:

I would never want him on either team... so he fights targets w Thomas and Adams? Give me the pats, Seahawks, bills, jets etc. teams with okay qbs at worst (better than Dalton), without a wr who would ever come before him in the depth chart

Come on dude. Dalton is better than Allen and Darnold. You should know better

• Like 1

What do you expect the coach to say? "We are glad he is recovering but hopefully we trade him after he plays one game and shows he isn't washed up."

You guys wishing AJG would get traded and be the wr2 on his team are crazy. Would you be happy if AB joined the Bengals and soaked up targets?

Here AJG will be the top dog with a decent WR2, no run game, always in good gamescripts, and Dalton is having a decent year throwing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

EDIT: then again who would cover both Thomas/green or Adams/green lol someone would be left open. Only passes would go to them haha

And your edit was exactly my point lol why would you not want him with HOF caliber QB’s coupled with actual competent coaches who are able to get him the ball in great spots. There’s no way you can cover both sides with that type of WR pairing. Teams like the Rams have been able to support big fantasy seasons from multiple receivers for years now. 

• Like 1

Just now, JooCraig said:

And your edit was exactly my point lol why would you not want him with HOF caliber QB’s coupled with actual competent coaches who are able to get him the ball in great spots. There’s no way you can cover both sides with that type of WR pairing. Teams like the Rams have been able to support big fantasy seasons from multiple receivers for years now. 

Yea I still wouldn’t want the competition.... esp redzone where it’s a coin flip

His value isn't affected much by a trade virtually anywhere. We're worried about him producing next to Adams with Rodgers, or with Brady/Brees throwing him the ball? Lol. 

Of all the potential suitors Buffalo and SF would concern me the most, but the bottom line is he'll produce anywhere. 

11 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Of all the potential suitors Buffalo and SF would concern me the most, but the bottom line is he'll produce anywhere. 

What about new England 

17 minutes ago, JrsKars said:

What about new England 

No thanks. His target share will be low, OL is poor, he won't be startable for a couple of weeks while he learns the playbook. The only WR to own there is Edelman. 

• Like 1

CINCINNATI BENGALS

Jay Morrison (columns), @JayMorrisonATH

Q: Will A.J. Green suit up for the Bengals this season? 

A: I believe he will, yes. In fact, if I were to put money on it, I’d say he plays Week 7 against Jacksonville. Green doesn’t look as though he’s having any issues as his rehab work gets more and more strenuous, and he’s progressed to running and cutting at full speed. When I asked head coach Zac Taylor how much he would need to see Green practice before being comfortable playing him, he said “probably just once.” But there are other issues complicating the decision. Green obviously has a lot riding on this with him being in the final year of his contract. He made the mistake of pushing it and coming back too soon from the toe injury last year and it cost him the remainder of his season. It feels like Oct. 29 is a “sign him to an extension or trade him” type of deadline for the Bengals. And seeing him play figures to be a key piece of information to use in that decision-making process.

https://theathletic.com/1285116/2019/10/11/inside-info-adrian-petersons-new-outlook-a-j-greens-return-timetable-and-more-from-our-nfl-beat-writers/

Edited by LongBalls
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

17 hours ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

You guys wishing AJG would get traded and be the wr2 on his team are crazy. Would you be happy if AB joined the Bengals and soaked up targets?

Here AJG will be the top dog with a decent WR2, no run game, always in good gamescripts, and Dalton is having a decent year throwing. 

Seriously I don't get everyone's take on how a trade would be better (fantasy wise) for this season. New team learning new playbook, no QB rapport, and possibly more competition for targets. The best case scenario for him (Fantasy Wise) this season is playing for the Bengals where they will almost always be playing catch up and forcing the ball to him. The Dalton-AJG connection has always been strong. Dalton doesn't have to be a good real football QB to give AJG a gangum of fantasy points because the targets will always be there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This may be exactly what he needed.  A prolonged break where he wasn't pushing himself to get back at the soonest possible instance.  Let him get 100% healthy and then go out and ball and prove his worth. He has shown he can put up WR1 numbers with Dalton as the QB, so no reason to think he can't again when he gets back.  

After sprinting for the first time in Wednesday's practice, A.J. Green said the plan is for him to run routes for the first time Sunday before the game in Baltimore and see how the ankle responds. He remains hopeful for a return in Week 7.

renderTimingPixel.png
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, GChicago said:

This may be exactly what he needed.  A prolonged break where he wasn't pushing himself to get back at the soonest possible instance.  Let him get 100% healthy and then go out and ball and prove his worth. He has shown he can put up WR1 numbers with Dalton as the QB, so no reason to think he can't again when he gets back.  

exactly. And people are acting like ginger man is playing god awful.

With the worst o-line in the league hands down, he has a better passer rating than Goff(83), Daniel Jones(74.1), and Mayfield(68.5). 

1 minute ago, Chippa said:

With the worst o-line in the league hands down, he has a better passer rating than Goff(83), Daniel Jones(74.1), and Mayfield(68.5). 

That may be the Cincinnati Bengal-ist sentence I've ever read.

3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

That may be the Cincinnati Bengal-ist sentence I've ever read.

I mean, having a better passer rating than those guys isnt saying much at all, I get it. But Andy isnt complete trash. I've seen him put together competent seasons. 

Problem is, Bengals are on their 4th string left tackle right now, so if Green comes back, I can only see short quick passes happening. Which caps off Green's potential

Edited by Chippa

Just now, Chippa said:

I mean, having a better passer rating than those guys isnt saying much at all, I get it. But Andy is complete trash. I've seen him put together competent seasons. 

Problem is, Bengals are on their 4th string left tackle right now, so if Green comes back, I can only see short quick passes happening. Which caps off Green's potential

I get it (although the Rams and Browns would like a word about the whole "worst o-line" thing).  I just thought the idea of Dalton being better than guys who have been terrible as a defense was like mainlining the Bengals cultural milieu circa any time outside of Collinsworth and Icky Woods into my brain.

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I get it (although the Rams and Browns would like a word about the whole "worst o-line" thing).  I just thought the idea of Dalton being better than guys who have been terrible as a defense was like mainlining the Bengals cultural milieu circa any time outside of Collinsworth and Icky Woods into my brain.

nope. None of those teams are fielding John Jerry at Left tackle, and Bobby Hart at Right tackle. Nope. Giants fans know who those guys are

Just now, Chippa said:

nope. None of those teams are fielding John Jerry at Left tackle, and Bobby Hart at Right tackle. Nope. Giants fans know who those guys are

It's a race to the bottom!  LOL.

Evaluating lines is hard.  Particularly when you aren't watching every play, factor in the strength of the opposing defense, know the playcalls, are aware of whether the RB or TE was supposed to help, etc.

And I don't hold up PFF as the bible, but they're as objective a source as I can find on the subject matter and they say these guys are worse, performance wise.

Let's just say they're all pretty bad. Most people would be hard pressed to name a single lineman on any of these teams that was actually healthy, give or take a Andrew Whitworth, Joel Bitonio here or there (not that most people know the names of linemen anyway, but you get what I'm saying).

4 hours ago, JrsKars said:

What about new England 

Doesn't worry me. AB was immediately productive. And yes AB is better than Green but it's not a monumental difference. He was immediately the clear number 1. 

• Like 1