Sign in to follow this  
Backdoor Slider

Dylan Cease 2019 Outlook

Another top SP prospect getting ready to make his debut.

EDIT: FTR, this will be against the Tigers. Doesn’t get much better than that.

Edited by Backdoor Slider
  • Like 1

Kid has really struggled for the last month. Command has been an issue for him and k's have been down. I have tempered expectations for him this year.

20 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Eh this isn't McKay 

Great insight that has nothing to do with Cease or his fantasy outlook. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok you want insight, look up his minor league stats

• Haha 2

You would think this would be a run and pick him up right now before somebody else does situation, but it is hard to ignore how bad he's been this month.  Even when he was better to start the season, he was only decent.  His command has been awful pretty much all season and clearly doesn't look ready.  Looks like a situation where the White Sox are calling him up just to call him up.

I'm sorry to sound like such a downer in his thread, but he's done very little this season to make me think otherwise.  Someday he should be great though, as his stuff is fantastic.  Might be a Giolito-like situation here where it takes him a year or two.  I dunno.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 2

It’s a lottery ticket.  And the ASB makes it hard to determine his upcoming schedule, but it could look something like this:

DET, at OAK, at KC, MIA, NYM

They catch the Twins at the end of the month for a 4 game set, so I doubt he avoids that one.

August schedule is brutal.

Obviously his post-ASB is about as juicy as it gets, but the MLB level will eat you alive if your command is awful, no matter how bad the opposition is.

Still, can't fault people for picking him up and seeing how it goes.  I don't see how a switch would all of a sudden flip inside of him just because he was called up, but the talent is obviously undeniable.

Hoping for a lottery ticket. Pitching has been such a crapshoot this year I can’t see why you wouldn’t take a shot on a top prospect 

I've said before concerning all the ATL young SP's, who all have BB issues... as long as you are a high K kinda pitcher, you can get yourself out of trouble. The walks are infuriating, but almost better than pitch to contact guys who may have a similar WHIP, but giving up hit after hit, guys can go 1'st to 3'rd, and score from second on seeing eye ground balls. (That said, this HR surge is just dangerous each way because extra guys on base and ridiculous HR totals will end your day early regardless.) I'm optimistic on Cease, his stuff is certainly top notch, and maybe he shows well due to teams having never seen him for a couple months... but the BB problems will be directly tied to his long and short term success! An almost 5BB/9% simply won't cut it @ any level, and definitely when rockets fly out of that bandbox he will now call home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I grabbed him in a couple deeper leagues. Hoping he just got bored at AAA, or he was working on some things rather than focusing on results. Saw him pitch in person 3 times last year and couldn't help but think he was ready then to come up and be an impact arm. I think 4.00/1.20 and a K/IP is doable. Ceiling is obviously higher. Maybe he doesn't figure things out until next year, but then again maybe he figures it out in August and it's smooth sailing after that. Worth the gamble. 

Should also be noted that he will be facing a Tigers lineup as part of a double header. Even worse than a normal Tigers lineup! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kingdavid206 said:

Will he be starting Thursday now since the game has been postponed today? Has anyone seen any official news?

They play 2 tomorrow. It was already on the schedule from a previous rainout. Still think he pitches one of them

• Like 1

Rolling him out cuz the tigers suck and my ratios are already ruined for the week

• Like 1

Starting him and if he sucks then dropping [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

cant cease or resist starting him but deep inside i smell a 4k 4ip 8runs allowed a hickey performance

If he can keep the nerves at bay, I think he rolls! The walks are a concern, even more so today with this being his debut. Good fastball with lots of life and a hammer curve. Also throws a changeup and slider, both pitches show potential. Will be interesting to see his velocity readings today with his fastball. I've read 93-100. If he's throwing upper 90's with consistency, Sox may ask him to bring it down a tick or two and see if he has better control and command. Thinking 93-100, might mean he throws a 2 and 4 seam fastball.

1 hour ago, DJSatane said:

cant cease or resist starting him but deep inside i smell a 4k 4ip 8runs allowed a hickey performance

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Let's go Dylan!!!!

He's home against a Tigers lineup that has 2 hitters batting .250 or better, and no one hitting .280.

82 degrees, cloudy, 4 MPH of wind.

I mean if he can't pitch well today I don't know when he would.

Edited by StevieStats

Solid start, plenty of great breaking balls and a high velocity fastball touching 100 in his 1st start but settling mid to upper 90s. Just needs better control of it 

Between McKay Gallen and Cease, I would say Cease has the highest upside

• Thanks 1