Sign in to follow this  
Backdoor Slider

Dylan Cease 2019 Outlook

30 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

Cease has the stuff, and apparently when angry... can pitch like Mad Max. 

He's taking his lumps as expected, for the reasons expected. Watching the gamecast the other day, EVERY fastball was @ the top of the zone or higher. This in and of itself needs to change! You simply cannot make a living in that bandbox walking people and throwing high fastballs.

The instant bulldog Jekyl/Hyde thing needs to be harnessed... Moncada should walk to the bump and %itch slap him every inning if necessary, keep the kid angry, it's obvious what needs to happen here! 

Cease is a new age dood, I think it would do more good if Moncada put a few crystals in Dylan's back pocket instead. Maybe get him one of those meditation pillows to sit on in the dugout. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 6:38 PM, sleepysock said:

Why bring up what Theo said when he hasn't pitched for the boys in blue for over 2 years? The White Sox are the ones babying him, last I checked. Unless you think taking a guy out after a 35 pitch first inning saying you don't want to stress his arm isn't babying?

Kershaw had an insane arsenal of pitches (like Cease), sported an unsightly walk rate (worse than Cease), struck out a lot of guys (not as many as Cease), averaged about 5IP per start until year 3 or 4...good god indeed, frosh.

This is something I would expect Lavar Ball to say if he adopted Cease.

You have lost your mind. Please provide a single credible source to back this up... Baseball America tells me he's got a top shelf fastball and ONE plus secondary offering.

Comparing his stuff to Kershaw coming up? Please dude, that's just lunacy... Please provide a credible source for this... And I'm not talking about his own catcher or manager talking him up, a credible independent source... 

Also, for the record, are you a White Sox fan? Because this thread is just coming off like a pumped up White Sox fan that loves his team's prospect and over rating him like most fans do their own prospects.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

This is something I would expect Lavar Ball to say if he adopted Cease.

You have lost your mind. Please provide a single credible source to back this up... Baseball America tells me he's got a top shelf fastball and ONE plus secondary offering.

Comparing his stuff to Kershaw coming up? Please dude, that's just lunacy... Please provide a credible source for this... And I'm not talking about his own catcher or manager talking him up, a credible independent source... 

Also, for the record, are you a White Sox fan? Because this thread is just coming off like a pumped up White Sox fan that loves his team's prospect and over rating him like most fans do their own prospects.

I’ve watched him pitch a ton, silly head. He has a legit three pitch mix with a better heater and slightly worse wipeout offspeed offering than young Kershaw. Try to remove yourself from the knowledge of what kersh became and remember what he was 11 or 12 years ago. If you aren’t able to do that, then just trust me: I shall be your credible independent source.

As far as overrating him, he was a top 25 pitching prospect this season. Is everyone that disagrees with you a White Sox fan? Is every prospect that doesn’t come in playing like an MVP a bust to you? I’ll hang up and listen to your answer. 

Oh, and tell me I’ve lost my mind again if you want to see a man in a Dylan cease jersey urinating in your cucumber patch this Sunday. 

Edited by sleepysock
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, sleepysock said:

I’ve watched him pitch a ton, silly head. He has a legit three pitch mix with a better heater and slightly worse wipeout offspeed offering than young Kershaw. Try to remove yourself from the knowledge of what kersh became and remember what he was 11 or 12 years ago. If you aren’t able to do that, then just trust me: I shall be your credible independent source.

As far as overrating him, he was a top 25 pitching prospect this season. Is everyone that disagrees with you a White Sox fan? Is every prospect that doesn’t come in playing like an MVP a bust to you? I’ll hang up and listen to your answer. 

Oh, and tell me I’ve lost my mind again if you want to see a man in a Dylan cease jersey urinating in your cucumber patch this Sunday. 

So just to recap:

1 - No source to backup your wild claims.

2 - Avoided the White Sox fan question.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

So just to recap:

1 - No source to backup your wild claims.

2 - Avoided the White Sox fan question.

1- What source do you want? This is the 21st Century kiddo. Use the Google machine, mkay? There are some out there that have suggested -- oh the horror -- that Mr. Cease has a -- seriously, cover your eyes this is terrifying -- TOR ceiling!!! I mean whaaaa? That's even more than I, Dylan Cease himself, a dude that thinks Cease is a fantastic pitching prospect, believes he's capable of. Regarding the Kersh comp, I watched a lot of him when he was a prospect and then a young major leaguer. He had good heat, a potentially great wipeout offspeed pitch, trouble throwing strikes, and had a lot of good starts marred by one bad inning. Do ya know who else fits this description to a capital T? 🤔 I'll put a bow on this: it is not incumbent upon me to prove anything to you, cuz everything I'm saying is either simply my opinion or easily verifiable.

2- I like the Sox bc I like any rebuilding team with lots of exciting young players. I also like the Pads. And randomly, the Dodgers. Other teams as well. I rooted for the Cubs in 2016 despite disliking them since the Sosa era bc I'm a soft-hearted fella. I have lived in a number of teamless states, so my fandom drifts. Mkay?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Anybody out there starting him vs Houston?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

This is the White Sox method of breaking pitchers down and then building them back up.  Giolito was statistically the worst pitcher in baseball last year.  Reynaldo Lopez was the worst SP in baseball (going by FIP) in the first half of this season.  And now Cease is going to stake his claim as the worst in the league.  Next year it will be Kopech.  There is a science to this.  Trust the science!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This seems like a good type of player to target in a Dynasty League now. A year ago he was a budding high upside SP prospect that was ranked highly on lists and an owner would want a lot for.  Now that he's up in the majors and is being forced to adjust and figure it out, he's technically closer to reaching whatever his upside is than he was a year or two ago, yet he probably costs a lot less due to disappointing results. I don't think he's someone you must have, but if the owner is sick of him or lost faith, seems like a good buy low if possible

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

I love the potential, but the command and control need some work. He's not a guy I'm targeting next season, but I could envision him becoming a top 20 SP within the next few years. 

On 7/3/2019 at 6:01 PM, sleepysock said:

Can't wait for half of you to mysteriously disappear with your scorching hot takes in 3 weeks 😂

10 Starts.. 6.92 ERA, 1.635 WHIP, 7 Ls... Only thing disappearing is baseballs into the stands and Cease from rosters.

2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

10 Starts.. 6.92 ERA, 1.635 WHIP, 7 Ls... Only thing disappearing is baseballs into the stands and Cease from rosters.

Yeah yeah I was wrong on this one. Oh well. Young starters are difficult to project. Whodathunkit.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 9:59 AM, brockpapersizer said:

This seems like a good type of player to target in a Dynasty League now. A year ago he was a budding high upside SP prospect that was ranked highly on lists and an owner would want a lot for.  Now that he's up in the majors and is being forced to adjust and figure it out, he's technically closer to reaching whatever his upside is than he was a year or two ago, yet he probably costs a lot less due to disappointing results. I don't think he's someone you must have, but if the owner is sick of him or lost faith, seems like a good buy low if possible

Brock:  here's the issue I have - the being "forced to adjust".  He's never had control throughout this minor league career & had an inability to not only spot his fastball but any of his secondary pitches - as I've said a few times, it's the very reason why the Cubs felt he was dispensable (never going to be a starter in the majors).  We shall see.

5 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Brock:  here's the issue I have - the being "forced to adjust".  He's never had control throughout this minor league career & had an inability to not only spot his fastball but any of his secondary pitches - as I've said a few times, it's the very reason why the Cubs felt he was dispensable (never going to be a starter in the majors).  We shall see.

Might take another year of development, but I think he'll be a solid starter for a bit.  BB/9 between 3-4 isn't ideal, and a lot his minor league stops have been in that area. I don't find that awful. His HR rate will regress, as will his BABIP, and I think there's more development to be had. There's sure a chance he ends up a reliever, but I still see a talented pitcher figuring it out.

You don't always have to tow the Cubs company line and poop on the White Sox 😘. Quintana has been useful and is having a much better year this year, but I think the Cubs would take Eloy/Cease over him today.

9 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

The number of young pitchers with control issues and elite stuff that eventually turn into studs is extraordinarily high. Just look at the guy he's facing today for example. Or his teammate who's going to be a top 5 CY finisher. So poor command is not a reason to make someone with Cease's makeup expendable. They traded Cease because the market for Quintana dictated they had to. If there was any reason they valued him less than they ought to have it's his injury history.

Before today, he had one walk or fewer in 4 of his last 5 starts. Today, he's got 7 ks and 0 BB thru 3 innings. Fastball command is massively improved. If he's not on your radar in some fashion for next year, he likely will be soon. Results so far have been terrible, but the upside isn't any lesser now than before his callup, and while the stats are ugly, he's taking his lumps and starting to settle in. If and when he can utilize his secondary pitches he should be a good one.

The fact that he did today what he did throwing fastballs only 1/3 of the time is a pretty good sign. Giolito has had a ton of success throwing offspeed stuff in fastball counts and that's exactly what Cease was doing. In particular throwing a lot of high changeups after flashing the high fastball. Seems to be following a very similar blueprint, which makes sense since they have pretty similar pitch mixes. I think it was K 10 or 11 where Cease fell behind 3-0 and got a strike with a fastball before finishing Bauers (?) off with a change and curve. Still a work in progress but these are the guys you take a flyer on in the last few rounds in redraft. Yeah he could end up unrosterable for 2020, but he also might be the next Gio or Clev. I have been known to be a sucker for these type of pitchers and sometimes you get burned by your loyalty to them (Pavetta, Rodon) but I feel like just as often you at least get a Salazar or similar.

His velo is better than advertised and he has two good offspeed pitches.  

The Giolito comparison is valid.

Glad I was on record of saying dynasty  buy low before today. It was the perfect time in theory but most trade deadlines have passed.