k.k.

Adrian Houser 2019 Outlook

Here's another somewhat intriguing pitcher without a page of his own. He's starting now, filling the role Jimmy Nelson had after he was sent down to figure his stuff out. Houser was apparently good in a relief role for the Brewers, but didn't last long in his start last week. He's not stretched out obviously, but pitching for a decent Milwaukee team, perhaps there's something here?

Sorry I can't provide more, was hoping to get the convo started on him. Starts Monday vs. CIN. Can't imagine he'll go deep again, but maybe someone to watch.

-----------------

Adrian Houser gave up three runs and took a loss in his brief two-inning start against the Mariners on Wednesday.

He struck out four batters, walked three and yielded four base hits. He surrendered an RBI single to Omar Narvaez while J.P. Crawford touched him up for an RBI-double and an RBI-triple. Houser has thrived in a relief role for the Brewers this year and is now taking over for Jimmy Nelson in the starting rotation. It will take a few starts to get him stretched out. He burned 64 pitches to get six outs in this one. Houser is 2-2 with a 2.94 ERA on the season.

Jun 26, 2019, 11:34 PM ET
Edited by k.k.

Anyone starting tomorrow vs. PIT? Houser went 5 innings last start, so it appears he's adequately stretched out since getting added to the rotation.

Nobody is going to mention the fact that Houser puked on the mound tonight in front of 35K fans and then proceeded to dominate the Wranglers with a 6IP 10K gem?

Epic.

• Like 2

Anyone see the performance?  Dominant stuff or smoke and mirrors?

75 Ks in 69 innings looks interesting.

Stuff is very much legit. He can miss bats. As long as you don't have a some weird point deduction for tossing cookies on the field, he's very stream-able

• Like 1

Did he puke on the mound before last night's start?  Didn't watch it, but it's his 2nd strong performance in a row.  Interesting matchup against the Cards is up next.

I'm intrigued by his groundball rate (55.3%) and his Statcast numbers. His average exit velocity allowed of 85.8% is among the lowest in the league, and his xwOBA of .282 is well below his actual wOBA of .315.

He's getting a lot of weak groundballs. Couple that with solid K and BB rates and you've got a pretty good SP. Don't see ace upside but could definitely be a nice mid-rotation fantasy guy.

• Like 1

Can Houser make it 3 good starts in a row (and 4 out of his last 5) tonight?

I'm going to say yes.  Even though they've been pretty good of late, the Cards still don't really scare me.

14 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Can Houser make it 3 good starts in a row (and 4 out of his last 5) tonight?

I'm going to say yes.  Even though they've been pretty good of late, the Cards still don't really scare me.

I'll be watching this matchup very closely. He is unowned in my roto league, could be a pickup if he pitches decent.

5 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

I'll be watching this matchup very closely. He is unowned in my roto league, could be a pickup if he pitches decent.

Add ASAP

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Why was he pulled in the sixth?

game is delayed or has been. 

• Like 1

Just now, AnonymousRob said:

Why was he pulled in the sixth?

That inning he gave up 3 straight hits, and the only out he got was a 105-mph lineout by Goldschmidt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

That inning he gave up 3 straight hits, and the only out he got was a 105-mph lineout by Goldschmidt.

yeah sorry, this is why. 

His team also committed two errors in the 5th inning with two outs and another in the 6th inning. Should have easily had the QS.

• Like 1

Trying to project ahead, looks like a tough next 4 matchups.

Cards, Stros, Cubs, Cards

5 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

I would start both STL, def not HOU, and prob not CHC

Yeah, I would say only two of the 4 are tough.  STL is manageable, just like last night.  His line should have been better, as their defense really let him down.  No chance I'm starting against Houston, and I agree about the Cubs as well.

Makes him a bit of a rough hold for some if they need the roster spot, but I'd likely hold for his next start at least if possible.

Tough matchup to start the week. Hader been used twice past two days so I'm not sure about the bridge to the bullpen. Can the unfamiliarity with him catch the Stros by surprise?