Sign in to follow this  
ghostdragon

Jose Urquidy 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Houston's next experiment for the 5th slot in their rotation..apparently.. after the demotions of Valdez... and Martin. 104/15 kb ratio. 3.40 era. might be worth a gamble if he sticks

not available in espn yet

Edited by ghostdragon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ghostdragon said:

Houston's next experiment for the 5th slot in their rotation..apparently.. after the demotions of Valdez... and Martin. 104/15 kb ratio. 3.40 era. might be worth a gamble if he sticks

not available in espn yet

Or yahoo. 

I’m adding wherever I can when he does become available. Probably good he’s not for his first start @ COL 

PSA: He's listed as Jose Hernandez (and is RP only eligible) in the CBS database...and he is very much worth speculating on in keepers and deeper points leagues imo

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

PSA: He's listed as Jose Hernandez (and is RP only eligible) in the CBS database...and he is very much worth speculating on in keepers and deeper points leagues imo

That is some VERY important information.

FWIW If anyone was wondering I just checked yahoo and ESPN for him under this alias and he still isn’t in either database 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Thanks.  But how did some weird name called "Urquidy" get thrown in there then?  Was "Hernandez" considered too common or there is a quota on that name in MLB?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Thanks.  But how did some weird name called "Urquidy" get thrown in there then?  Was "Hernandez" considered too common or there is a quota on that name in MLB?

Not sure, maybe we should ask Fausto Carmona.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The LPGA tour had a problem with to many players named Lee,  so they started adding a number at the end of the last name..........

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2019/05/05/why-does-jeongeun-lee-6-have-a-number-in-her-name-105932/

So why does Jeongeun Lee6 have a six on the end of her first name? In her native Korea, on the Korean LPGA Tour, there are SIX players with her name. So, they all go by different numbers -- Jeongeun Lee1, Jeongeun Lee2, Jeongeun Lee3, Jeongeun Lee4, Jeongeun Lee5 and Jeongeun Lee6. The numbers are determined based on a player's age. The oldest Jeongeun is the first and so forth, meaning Jeongeun Lee6 is the youngest on the tour.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

This guy’s been on my radar for several weeks now. He’s not on the prospect lists as coming into this year he’s looked more like a middle reliever. But he’s experienced a velo jump and is now throwing 93-96 with a plus change and plus command. The velo boost hasn’t negatively affected his command either. He throws a curveball and slider as well though those don’t grade out as well.

With the uptick in velo he’s now getting tons of swings and misses and racking up some impressive strikeout totals. It’s a brutal first assignment but he should be in line to pitch again on Sunday giving the Astros a good look at him prior to the ASB to see what they got. Lunhow and several other Astros scouts are pretty excited about him. He’s only 10% owned on Fantrax. Hopefully the other sites can add him ASAP. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, boomzdaddy said:

Could really use the starting pitching in ESPN, does he have any other names? LOL

Per the milb site:

Full Name: Jose Luis Urquidy

but then you check out the roster moves with him:

May 15, 2019

RHP Jose Hernandez-Urquidy assigned to Round Rock Express from Corpus Christi Hooks.

January 22, 2019 Houston Astros invited non-roster RHP Jose Hernandez to spring training.
  • Like 1

Should have mentioned he is in Fantrax as Jose Urquidy.  Unless I grabbed the wrong guy too! 🤣

Urquidy sounds like a disturbing adjective. 

I planned on going to the park today, but it was too urquidy outside and I didn't want to change my drawers again. 

on a real note, fangraphs had like nothing on him, other than a future value of 35+ (meh) as a prospect. this is the brief report on him from 2017:

RHP, 1.9 KATOH+ – Another pitchability righty from Mexico, Hernandez used a bevy of pitches (headlined by a changeup) to carve up the Midwest League last year. He’s 21 and relatively unprojectable at 6-foot, 210, but has enough stuff and command to project as a depth arm.

but here's a big blurb from just a few days ago:

1st appearance

Another day, another overperforming arm in the Astros’ farm system. Prior to 2019, Urquidy has always exhibited command, walking more than 5% of opposing hitters only once at any level (7.1% in a mere 16 innings and change at low-A in 2015, shortly after he began his professional career). He didn’t generate eye-popping strikeout numbers, but with good-enough stuff and excellent command, he got by.

Urquidy flipped the switch at Double-A this year, though, adding three ticks to his swinging strike rate (now sitting at a robust 16.3%) striking out eight times as many hitters as he walked. The Astros appropriately promoted him to Triple-A, where he continued to dominate. Between both levels (76.2 IP), he has compiled 104 strikeouts (34.0%) to just 15 walks (4.9%). He’s a fly ball pitcher, all things considered, which could be an unfortunate development in the long run. Then again, two of baseball’s biggest surprises this year — Matthew Boyd and Lucas Giolito — possess two of the lowest ground ball rates (GB%) in the game.

Like Goudeau, there’s little evidence of anyone having ever cared about Urquidy prior to this year. Unlike Goudeau, Urquidy is on the cusp of cracking the Astros’ rotation. Wade Miley is a ticking time bomb; Brad Peacock has been good, not great; and Framber Valdez and Corbin Martinhas disappointed. Valdez are the prospects of note, yet it’s Urquidy who has outperformed both of them at each Minor League level. In the absence of prospect stock — that is, given a blind résumé — I think anyone would pick Urquidy over Valdez or Martin. Keep him on your radar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

He has some pretty good PCL numbers over 43.2 inning.

ERA: 2.89

WHIP: 0.96

K/9: 13.2

BB/9: 2.1

I'm speculating in a deep league regardless of what happens in Coors tonight.

• Like 1

He won't be added to yahoo until after he makes his start. It's the same for every player that isn't in their database when the season begins. 

Pulling for this guy and I think he holds his own @ Coors tonight.

25 minutes ago, smeeze said:

He won't be added to yahoo until after he makes his start. It's the same for every player that isn't in their database when the season begins. 

Except for Brendan McKay

1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

Except for Brendan McKay

Obviously McKay is an anomaly, he was also already in the system (albeit as a hitter only) so he doesn't really apply to my statement above. But thanks for the pedantry. 

Just now, smeeze said:

Obviously McKay is an anomaly, he was also already in the system (albeit as a hitter only) so he doesn't really apply to my statement above. But thanks for the pedantry. 

Technically he was not in the system as Yahoo treats them as two different players. And its not just McKay, its all prospects. Yahoo has no system for adding players.

8 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Technically he was not in the system as Yahoo treats them as two different players. And its not just McKay, its all prospects. Yahoo has no system for adding players.

About player availability in Fantasy Baseball

Choosing the best players for your team is crucial to winning your Fantasy Baseball league. Top prospects and new players are available at different times based on your league's settings and are subject to your team's waiver rules.

"New Players Become Available" setting locks post draft - Neither commissioners nor Yahoo Customer Care are able to edit this post-draft.

Player availability options

During spring training any player already in our system on a MLB 40-man roster may show as "active" until the regular season begins.

"As soon as Yahoo adds them" option - Players are available as soon as they're added to a team's 40-man roster. While players outside the 25-man roster can’t be used until after September 1st, you can claim your stake early.
"Wait until called up to the Majors" option - Players won’t be available until they’ve been called up to the Majors and are part of a team’s 25-man roster.

From here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN6792.html

4 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

STILL don't see him on ESPN

For one of my ESPN leagues he is listed under probables