Sign in to follow this  
ghostdragon

Jose Urquidy 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

11 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Didnt Corbin Martin put up a similar line in his first start before he torched everyone's ratios in every other start?

Define “everyone.”

13 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Really looked like a different dude out there tonight, was in total command...the chart looked very nice

FA- sat a hair under 94 MPH (up nearly a tick) and hit 96 MPH, very good vertical movements, threw 34--20 strikes with 12 swings and 3 whiffs

CH- not sure where this pitch was hiding but wow, sat 85 MPH with good fade, tossed 45--33 for strikes with 28 hacks and 11 whiffs!!

CU- it has very nice spin/shape, sits 81 MPH, spun up 17--8 strikes with 6 swings and 4 whiffs

The strike zone plot was really remarkable too, almost not a single pitch near the middle of plate, tons on the edges and lots of the balls were just missing.

It’s almost like his change up stops to take a rest break 3/4ths of the way there before continuing on its way.

27 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Didnt Corbin Martin put up a similar line in his first start before he torched everyone's ratios in every other start?

Yeah his 1st turn (unlike Urquidy who went at COL in his debut to meh results) was very good. Then I contend something happened to Martin, and outta demotion fears, he tried to pitch through the injury and it really made his command fall apart...soon after he made a few appearances and went under the knife. This is all conjecture on my part, but it seems to fit. Urquidy is not the power arm Martin was but he can spot his FA and other offerings much better it seems. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, street sharks said:

Martin has nowhere near the control/command that Urquidy has. 

What's your guys sense of urgency to add this guy ?

I'm a little confused by his small sample and rumblings in this thread if I'm shmuck for not adding in a redraft or not heh. He looked pretty good in the video clip of last start. Was curious how high you are on him ROS.

I haven't followed HOUs rotation much aside from know Framber has still been terrible and Peacock hurt.

5 minutes ago, tonywow said:

What's your guys sense of urgency to add this guy ?

I'm a little confused by his small sample and rumblings in this thread if I'm shmuck for not adding in a redraft or not heh. He looked pretty good in the video clip of last start. Was curious how high you are on him ROS.

I haven't followed HOUs rotation much aside from know Framber has still been terrible and Peacock hurt.

There are probably safer options in 10-teamers, but in 12 or more team leagues I think he’s a worthwhile add. I’ve been touting him for awhile. He’s made some very real improvements this year and has demonstrated swing and miss stuff combined with good command. He’s in a good spot with Houston and should get the opportunity to run away with the 5th starter job.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

Is he a safe replacement for Brad peacock?

Certainly not safe. The back of their rotation is volatile. But he's performed well enough in the minors and based on the stats I provided in the tweet that one could conjecture future success. And isn't that what it's all about?  Life's a risk.  Urq has some upside, and if wins are a category, he seems to have even more. Astros can't afford to be paitient, so a bad start or two one can easily envision  a minor league demotion or relief role. 

I wouldn't be dropping stud for him. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Very confused with this guy...I start him and he gets destroyed by LAA. Demoted and dropped. He comes back and is one of the best pickup pitchers out there. Makes no sense how this guy can finally pitch now...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Very confused with this guy...I start him and he gets destroyed by LAA. Demoted and dropped. He comes back and is one of the best pickup pitchers out there. Makes no sense how this guy can finally pitch now...

even in that angels start, IIRC he got through two innings with 4 Ks, one baserunner ... i looked in on him at that point was like "ok cool", went back to work - looked again an hour later and had to cover my eyes because he had just melted.

so really it was just one bad inning. rookie pitchers will do that. granted, that one bad inning was IMPRESSIVELY bad. but. still

• Haha 1

I generally just add whoever the Astros call up for their rotation no questions asked.  Doesnt always work out obviously but if any club knows how to get the most out of their arms its them. 

If you have the room add him, but with the Astros looking for a starter his leash, or hold on a rotation spot, might be short lived. Keep that in mind when planning moves.  I'd love to add him but I don't want to lose someone who I think has a more stable situation and projection.  I do like the upside tho.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

If you have the room add him, but with the Astros looking for a starter his leash, or hold on a rotation spot, might be short lived. Keep that in mind when planning moves.  I'd love to add him but I don't want to lose someone who I think has a more stable situation and projection.  I do like the upside tho.

End of bench I'd rather take upside fliers than exister boring SP like CC Sabathia.

16 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

End of bench I'd rather take upside fliers than exister boring SP like CC Sabathia.

We all would in general, but it always depends on your roster composition, your needs at the time, and the league set up. 

Urquidy threw his changeup 42% of the time in his last start with great success. Barely used it at all against Angels

There is always the trade deadline to consider too.  Is he currently viewed as their 5th starter or their 4th?  If 4th then can he survive a trade addition to the roster?  I take it he is currently 4th seed since they also started that other guy Armenteros this time through the rotation and he is back in AAA again?

(Damn it, Whitley, why did you have to go south this season.  With this mess you could have easily been gaining me nice stats in my leagues by now had you lived up to your past).

3 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

He needs to be owned in all 12-team leagues. 

Depends what kind of league you're in.

Sustainability?

Another great start. Hard to discount his numbers.. 

10.89 K/9, 1.42 BB/9, 2.64 FIP, with right around a 14% swinging strike rate. Small sample size, but he's in the territory of some pretty elite pitchers with those numbers. 

• Like 9

I highly doubt he comes close to maintaining most of those numbers.  You are right though.  It's hard to discount what he's done in his last two starts after an awful start to his career.

He deserved better tonight, although you can blame their offense even more than the bullpen though.  More runs would have been great, but oh well I guess.

His next start is against Cleveland.  They are no longer the easy matchup they were for most of the season, especially with Jose Ramirez back to being himself again, but he is going up against Plutko.  Run support shouldn't be an issue like it was tonight.

His K-BB% is right in line with where he was is in AAA and he’s got a 2.64 FIP on the year. I think we can get a sub-4 ERA, 1.2ish whip, and a K/inning which isn’t bad this year. 

As long as they only bring in 1 SP at the trade deadline, it's looking like Urquidy's spot should be pretty safe for the foreseeable future.  I know it's only two good starts in a row, but that's better than what they've gotten out of the backend of the rotation all season.

• Like 3