JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

58 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Take what you want from these Alex Cora quotes, but it looks like Eovaldi's role is going to be fluid,,,,

“We’ve been talking about Eovaldi to the pen for the last few weeks, for him to contribute as soon as possible it makes sense for everyone. It’s been an ongoing dialog the last 15 days, he gave us his blessing. We are not closing the door on him starting later this season.”

“We’re about to find out if he is built for high leverage situations, this is a new role for him. Eovaldi will embrace it. We will take care of him. Funny, everyone is saying closer…but he’ll help in the bullpen. Haven’t made that decision.”

Ahhh so great sounds like a committee is going to continue 

58 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Ahhh so great sounds like a committee is going to continue 

Will they try the Brasier/Barnes thing until he's ready?  Workman is the only guy they have in that pen with results.  No idea why they don't try him more

6 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Will they try the Brasier/Barnes thing until he's ready?  Workman is the only guy they have in that pen with results.  No idea why they don't try him more

Because of the amount of walks he gives up? 

I grabbed Eovaldi and hope he gets a shot to produce right away in the 9th but after Cora’s latest remarks he may have to prove himself. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Because of the amount of walks he gives up? 

I grabbed Eovaldi and hope he gets a shot to produce right away in the 9th but after Cora’s latest remarks he may have to prove himself. 

I get the walks, but the K rate has him sitting at 2/1 K/BB. Not great, but certainly acceptable, and results are better than Barnes & Brasier. Better to have a guy walk one, then K two rather than guys getting bombed by hits. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I get the walks, but the K rate has him sitting at 2/1 K/BB. Not great, but certainly acceptable, and results are better than Barnes & Brasier. Better to have a guy walk one, then K two rather than guys getting bombed by hits. 🤷🏽‍♂️

But what happens if he's still walking guys at this rate when (not if) the baa starts to normalize? He's allowed 12 hits in 37 innings. There is zero chance he keeps that up over the second half. Now maybe as the hits normalize, his walk rate in the second half will more closely resemble his career norms. But if it doesn't, he'd be a disaster, no matter what his role in the pen would be. Tbh, I'm just steering clear of the BoSox pen altogether. Workman scares the daylights out of me right now...I just see a massive correction coming. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

But what happens if he's still walking guys at this rate when (not if) the baa starts to normalize? He's allowed 12 hits in 37 innings. There is zero chance he keeps that up over the second half. Now maybe as the hits normalize, his walk rate in the second half will more closely resemble his career norms. But if it doesn't, he'd be a disaster, no matter what his role in the pen would be. Tbh, I'm just steering clear of the BoSox pen altogether. Workman scares the daylights out of me right now...I just see a massive correction coming. 

He has a 1.03 whip and 53 Ks in those 37ip also.  And given he's the only alternative to a B&B circus, and the new savior is still on the dl, it makes some sense to give it the ole college try.  Never said he was Aroldis, but he's been pretty darn good this year so far

2 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

He has a 1.03 whip and 53 Ks in those 37ip also.  And given he's the only alternative to a B&B circus, and the new savior is still on the dl, it makes some sense to give it the ole college try.  Never said he was Aroldis, but he's been pretty darn good this year so far

So far, yes. I'm fully aware of his ERA and WHIP and Ks. But I feel like the other shoe will drop at some point, and it'll be ugly when it does. And I never said he shouldn't be given a shot as a closer. I simply said I'm staying away from that pen, and I'm staying far away from Workman as a fantasy player. Because no matter what his role in the pen is, when the correction comes, it'll be rough. 

Then again, maybe he keeps this up all season. I just don't see it happening. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

Take what you want from these Alex Cora quotes, but it looks like Eovaldi's role is going to be fluid,,,,

“We’ve been talking about Eovaldi to the pen for the last few weeks, for him to contribute as soon as possible it makes sense for everyone. It’s been an ongoing dialog the last 15 days, he gave us his blessing. We are not closing the door on him starting later this season.”

“We’re about to find out if he is built for high leverage situations, this is a new role for him. Eovaldi will embrace it. We will take care of him. Funny, everyone is saying closer…but he’ll help in the bullpen. Haven’t made that decision.”

Of course... 

21 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

So far, yes. I'm fully aware of his ERA and WHIP and Ks. But I feel like the other shoe will drop at some point, and it'll be ugly when it does. And I never said he shouldn't be given a shot as a closer. I simply said I'm staying away from that pen, and I'm staying far away from Workman as a fantasy player. Because no matter what his role in the pen is, when the correction comes, it'll be rough. 

As a diehard sox fan that's been watching Workman for years, I agree. He's not nearly this good and some hits will start dropping in, at which point his abysmal walk rate will catch up with him. Ticking time bomb.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

Tom Caron of NESN reporting that sources have told him Red Sox will be converting Nate Eovaldi to closer when he returns to the IL. Hopefully will provide some clarity in that dumpster fire....

[Ed: Looks like a good post to christen the July Closer thread.]

LMAO!!!  Let's take a bad pitcher and make him our closer.  Good luck with that sportsfans.

5 minutes ago, Hangry Bird said:

LMAO!!!  Let's take a bad pitcher and make him our closer.  Good luck with that sportsfans.

Nearly every relief pitcher in baseball is a failed starter.  Many current closers and setup men are much worse pitchers than Eovaldi.  It remains to be seen if he can transition well into a regular 9th inning role for a contending team, but if you're going to reject outright any former starter with an uneven record of success, you're not going to have many guys left.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Nearly every relief pitcher in baseball is a failed starter.  Many current closers and setup men are much worse pitchers than Eovaldi.  It remains to be seen if he can transition well into a regular 9th inning role for a contending team, but if you're going to reject outright any former starter with an uneven record of success, you're not going to have many guys left.

Not a bad point and I do know that when on, he has good stuff but he's fresh off the 60DL -- if imma Sox fan I don't want him rounding back into baseball shape*, I want a real closer in there for the playoff run which most likely happens before the end of the month -- one with amazing mound presence

*in high-lev situations

Edited by Hangry Bird

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Unfortunately i don't have the luxury of really avoiding any potential saves.  And really,  i only brought him up from the process of elimination.  Bed&Breakfast have sucked.  Hard.  Vivaldis Concerto is a few weeks away yet.  Who's left to try? 

55 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Unfortunately i don't have the luxury of really avoiding any potential saves.  And really,  i only brought him up from the process of elimination.  Bed&Breakfast have sucked.  Hard.  Vivaldis Concerto is a few weeks away yet.  Who's left to try? 

I don’t either, and guys like Workman are already owned. I’ve been dumpster diving trying to find potential saves lol. But if Workman were available, I’d probably still pass...in part, too, because of the news about Eovaldi further muddying things. I’d rather take a chance on another guy.

Again, I’m not saying the BoSox shouldn’t try him. As a fantasy owner, I will not. 

• Like 1

Oberg used in the 8th inning of a game the Rockies are down 9-8. 1-2-3 with a K. Let's all scratch our heads and pace in circles on what this one means.......

28 minutes ago, Mexi1024 said:

Oberg used in the 8th inning of a game the Rockies are down 9-8. 1-2-3 with a K. Let's all scratch our heads and pace in circles on what this one means.......

Honestly it means nothing has changed.

Coors this year is playing like the pre-humidor days so they're got to hold the score at 1.   Oberg is their best reliever and their 8th inning guy.  I'd expect Davis to pitch top of the 9th.

Edit: I see oberg pitched the 9th himself keeping the score within 1.

Edited by 96mnc
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, meh2 said:

Yikes. I wouldn’t drop Liam just yet.

You think he stays in Vegas for a bit more and will Melvin let Treinen pick up from where he left off on his return? 

Hendriks has been so good... But looks like he'll be back to being the set up guy.

11 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Austin Adams pitching marvelous! Could he be the next closer !?

Elias is performing well and they've still got Strickland coming back. I don't see how he takes the job until some trades happen. But he definitely looks promising.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Austin Adams pitching marvelous! Could he be the next closer !?

He made Goldschmidt look really silly (I know, not as hard these days) with that sweeping slider. Dejong too. But, Elias has been really successful of late.

Got a funny feeling CMart 2nd half ends up being a top 5 closer. Dude just looks so much better, aggressive. Sometimes knowing you have an important roles lights  a fire under your azz I think

• Like 1