JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

Am I the only moron left still holding onto eovaldi?

 

Someone in my league is still holding as well. I'm asking myself the same question about Romo. I feel like I just need to see Rogers get the next save in order to drop. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

Am I the only moron left still holding onto eovaldi?

 

I wouldn't cut bait yet, depending on what's on your wire. Last week, they needed to get him work so he was put into some odd situations. He hasn't looked great but I think that was a product of his rehab being a little rushed. They haven't really had a save opportunity in a game that he has been available yet. I think its still wait and see and I'd guess at this point he would at least have a share of the job on a mix-and-match basis with Workman, depending on matchups and availability. Obviously, an autodrop if they pull the trigger on Edwin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought we were supposed to be excited about Anderson in Mia. 

 

Man this thread moves fast lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

Am I the only moron left still holding onto eovaldi?

Nope. Still holding here, but if Diaz or Colome gets traded, may pick up Lugo or Bummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

There was talk about Trevor Richards getting save chances...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Lugo more just because of his other stats. No guarantee Colome is dealt, either. I haven't heard his name as much at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, B&F said:

Besides Trevor have there been any fastball changeup closers?   Asking.  Not questioning.

 

Keith Foukle

 

Already mentioned. 

Edited by 96mnc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

Am I the only moron left still holding onto eovaldi?

 

You and me both. I sat him on my bench after he gifted me 3 ER in his first appearance. Probably gonna take at least another couple outings to knock off the rust

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Karma for those that held Greg Holland?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, PPolanco said:

Karma for those that held Greg Holland?

 

More like a solid example of Darwinism. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, PPolanco said:

Karma for those that held Greg Holland?

 

After holding Fernando Rodney all those years, holding Holland was a piece of cake. And honestly it almost never works out to drop a guy with the job.

That said, thank GOD Lovullo finally put us all out of our misery. 

It’s been a while since I was that relieved to send a guy to waivers. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some names whose fantasy stocks could significantly elevate based on the change of reliever landscape following tomorrows deadline: 

 

Yoan Lopez/Yoshi Hirano, ARI....Whether traded or not, Holland is out of the stoppers role based on declining velocity and poor performance...Lopez is likely to get first crack, however Hirano has been much improved since the beginning of June, and filled in admirably down the stretch for the "Snakes" a year ago.  

Seth Lugo, NYM....and to a lesser extent Gsellman

Aaron Bummer, CHW...has excelled all season long.....Colome has been dangled to contending suitors 

Jarlin Garcia, MIA (pitched a clean 9th following the Romo trade...command is much improved in 2019)...Anderson has the  best "closer stuff", however Mattingly expressed preferring to have more flexibility, rather than using him solely in the 9th.

Keone Kela, Pit....Crick could be here too but his spotty command, and Kela's prior closing experience gives Keone the nod if the Bucs move Vazquez

Nick Wittgren....or James Karinchak, Cle....  Wittgren for now, while Karinchak is the potential long term answer......That said, it seems less likely with each passing day that the Tribe will move Hand, as they  continue to lead the wildcard race and are only two games off the division lead

Scott Barlow or Richard Lovelady, KC....If the Royals agree to swallow the majority of Kennedy's salary, or find a financially carefree trade partner,  then one of Barlow or Lovelady should be first in line for future save ops

Craig Stammen, SD....If Yates is moved, Stammen is a short term replacement, and will be used to bridge the gap until fireballer Andres Munoz gains more major league experience.....

Dillon Tate/Miguel Castro/Shawn Armstrong, Bal....Converted starter Hunter Harvey could enter this conversation too later in the season...but its still the O's...so in the end does it really matter???

Joe Jimenez, Det...Has been much better of late, and is near certain to get the first shot in Detroit with Greene likely departing (Phillies are believed to be extremely interested)

Tony Watson/Sam Dyson/Trevor Gott/Reyes Moronta.....with Giants reentering the playoff picture, there is a growing sense that Smith will stay put....Dodgers are in play if they move him, while one of the above mentioned quartet would inherit the 9th if he is relocated

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One name I would add to the above list in Michael Lorenzen (and maybe Amir Garrett as well) since it appears that Iglesias is on the block.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, F@ndemonium said:

Here are some names whose fantasy stocks could significantly elevate based on the change of reliever landscape following tomorrows deadline: 

 

Yoan Lopez/Yoshi Hirano, ARI....Whether traded or not, Holland is out of the stoppers role based on declining velocity and poor performance...Lopez is likely to get first crack, however Hirano has been much improved since the beginning of June, and filled in admirably down the stretch for the "Snakes" a year ago.  

Seth Lugo, NYM....and to a lesser extent Gsellman

Aaron Bummer, CHW...has excelled all season long.....Colome has been dangled to contending suitors 

Jarlin Garcia, MIA (pitched a clean 9th following the Romo trade...command is much improved in 2019)...Anderson has the  best "closer stuff", however Mattingly expressed preferring to have more flexibility, rather than using him solely in the 9th.

Keone Kela, Pit....Crick could be here too but his spotty command, and Kela's prior closing experience gives Keone the nod if the Bucs move Vazquez

Nick Wittgren....or James Karinchak, Cle....  Wittgren for now, while Karinchak is the potential long term answer......That said, it seems less likely with each passing day that the Tribe will move Hand, as they  continue to lead the wildcard race and are only two games off the division lead

Scott Barlow or Richard Lovelady, KC....If the Royals agree to swallow the majority of Kennedy's salary, or find a financially carefree trade partner,  then one of Barlow or Lovelady should be first in line for future save ops

Craig Stammen, SD....If Yates is moved, Stammen is a short term replacement, and will be used to bridge the gap until fireballer Andres Munoz gains more major league experience.....

Dillon Tate/Miguel Castro/Shawn Armstrong, Bal....Converted starter Hunter Harvey could enter this conversation too later in the season...but its still the O's...so in the end does it really matter???

Joe Jimenez, Det...Has been much better of late, and is near certain to get the first shot in Detroit with Greene likely departing (Phillies are believed to be extremely interested)

Tony Watson/Sam Dyson/Trevor Gott/Reyes Moronta.....with Giants reentering the playoff picture, there is a growing sense that Smith will stay put....Dodgers are in play if they move him, while one of the above mentioned quartet would inherit the 9th if he is relocated

 

 

 

 

 

I think Kela might be a goner as well.  Reports are that he got into it with a coach or something and they want him gone. So some have said. Crick might be the better add if that's the case.

I'd say of this group the surest bets are Bummer, Stammen, and Jimenez (by default),  since they seem to be the clearest "next man up" in their pens.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, I REALLY don't want Vazquez to get moved to the Dodgers and lose his closer status.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tekashi26ix said:

Is Holland and romo surefire drops ?

Holland yes, Romo remains to be seen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tekashi26ix said:

Is Holland and romo surefire drops ?

 

Just now, duke of queens said:

Holland yes, Romo remains to be seen.

 

I agree. This could be league dependent but fwiw I dropped Holland but still own Romo in my 10 team h2h league. I have a feeling Holland is surely done being the closer for the foreseeable future. As for the Twins, I have a feeling they'll keep Rogers as the closer and Romo will be a setup guy getting 7th/8th inning duties but I feel like I need to see that happen before I drop Romo.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stammen over Munoz? I find that hard to believe. Munoz throws 100 mph and his slider is filthy. I also don't expect the pods to sell yates. Still has another year. Pods are far more likely to trade some of those surplus outfielders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dkrocka said:

Stammen over Munoz? I find that hard to believe. Munoz throws 100 mph and his slider is filthy. I also don't expect the pods to sell yates. Still has another year. Pods are far more likely to trade some of those surplus outfielders.

Munoz had control issues in the minors, they probably don't want to throw him in at closer right away. One bad outing, he loses confidence then who knows. If he's doing well a setup man, why risk it.  Especially if you trade Yates, they are basically giving up on this year.  See how Stammen does, if he does fine then maybe you can get some assests for him in the off-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

 

 

I agree. This could be league dependent but fwiw I dropped Holland but still own Romo in my 10 team h2h league. I have a feeling Holland is surely done being the closer for the foreseeable future. As for the Twins, I have a feeling they'll keep Rogers as the closer and Romo will be a setup guy getting 7th/8th inning duties but I feel like I need to see that happen before I drop Romo.

 

Honestly, I think Holland gets DFA'd by the end of the week.  If he's not closing, he's not an asset, and he's not pitching well enough to get any shot at the closer's role back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

Munoz had control issues in the minors, they probably don't want to throw him in at closer right away. One bad outing, he loses confidence then who knows. If he's doing well a setup man, why risk it.  Especially if you trade Yates, they are basically giving up on this year.  See how Stammen does, if he does fine then maybe you can get some assests for him in the off-season.

could also trade stammen prior to the waiver trade deadline to a team by showcasing him as the closer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.