JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

3 minutes ago, herschel said:

could also trade stammen prior to the waiver trade deadline to a team by showcasing him as the closer....

The waiver trade deadline is no longer a thing. Tomorrow is the last day to make any trades. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, herschel said:

could also trade stammen prior to the waiver trade deadline to a team by showcasing him as the closer....

impossible

• Like 1

As an Eovaldi owner, this displeases me...

From Alex Speier: Cora says he feels that ‘little by Little’ the bullpen has been able to take shape as a result of starters going 6+ innings. Described Workman as having emerged as the guy in the ninth.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

As an Eovaldi owner, this displeases me...

From Alex Speier: Cora says he feels that ‘little by Little’ the bullpen has been able to take shape as a result of starters going 6+ innings. Described Workman as having emerged as the guy in the ninth.

Well what is he going to say to the media?  "Our relievers are terrible and my GM needs to get some help."?  The Red Sox obviously have a philosophy opposed to the closer or paying for one at least.  They went with this before with Embree and got similar results  Some people never learn from history and make the same mistakes..

1 minute ago, secretagentman said:

Well what is he going to say to the media?  "Our relievers are terrible and my GM needs to get some help."?  The Red Sox obviously have a philosophy opposed to the closer or paying for one at least.  They went with this before with Embree and got similar results  Some people never learn from history and make the same mistakes..

I think the relevant part of this post is him hinting that Workman is likely the top closing option going forward. We all know the Sox bullpen is a dumpster fire. Thanks for the reminder.

4 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

I think the relevant part of this post is him hinting that Workman is likely the top closing option going forward. We all know the Sox bullpen is a dumpster fire. Thanks for the reminder.

It will be Workman until it isn't.  The BP game of musical closers has been going on all season.  Workman gets saves until he pitches poorly again like he did less than a week ago imo.

I've been a Stammen over Munoz guy in the event that Yates gets traded, but here he is entering in the sixth. Still think throwing Munoz into the fire is unlikely (and a mistake). Maybe Strahm, as has been suggested earlier in this thread? Oh well, Yates probably staying put anyway.

25 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

I've been a Stammen over Munoz guy in the event that Yates gets traded, but here he is entering in the sixth. Still think throwing Munoz into the fire is unlikely (and a mistake). Maybe Strahm, as has been suggested earlier in this thread? Oh well, Yates probably staying put anyway.

Maybe not Strahm....

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TexasBlueMoon said:

Chris Martin to Braves... who closes for Braves and Rangers?

My guess is LeClerc closes for now until Kelley gets back, but his name has come up in trade rumors so he could be out the door as well.

I’d also guess Jackson remains the closer but he’ll have some extra pressure to get the job done.

• Like 2

Is Martin any better than Jackson in Atlanta, or vice versa?  Seems like it would be the guy they traded for, but either closing wouldn't surprise me. 

As for Texas, unless he totally implodes like we saw the other day I'd invest in Leclerc.  I just feel like the Rangers need to find out if he can be the man or not.  With them being pretty much being out of the playoff race this is the time to do so.  Figure it out now and plan accordingly this offseason.

Hirano in in the 6th inning for the DBacks..looks like Bradley/Lopez/Chafin 

Literally no one is reporting Martin will close for the Braves. Wishful thinking and pure speculation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Hirano in in the 6th inning for the DBacks..looks like Bradley/Lopez/Chafin 

Just like everyone expected -- Hirano in the sixth and Lopez coming in with two outs in the seventh. 

• Haha 1

Who's left in the Dbacks pen that could get the 9th, Bradley & Holland no?

3 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Just like everyone expected -- Hirano in the sixth and Lopez coming in with two outs in the seventh. 

So is Bradley the closer?

2 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

No way will it be Holland.  Seems Bradley will get the first shot.

Just now, TexasBlueMoon said:

So is Bradley the closer?

Bradley (or even Chafin) could close tonight, but my guess would be a committee situation.

• Like 1

A committee would not surprise me at all.  For fantasy purposes I'll snag whomever it is that gets the oppo tonight and try to sell them as the man.  😀

2 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

No way will it be Holland.  Seems Bradley will get the first shot.