JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

Regarding Arizona, wasn't there talk of mixing and matching when they removed Holland from the role? Either way that's how I see it playing out. Nobody has been great in that bullpen either so this could be messy. 

Not that I think there was really ever anything to worry about for Rogers owners after the Romo trade, but they can all breathe a sigh of relief.  Romo coming in for the 8th inning.  No way is Romo going two innings.  Rogers will close.

1 minute ago, JameisofThrones said:

Romo on in the eighth for the Twins with a 2-1 lead, for those interested

Mass drop time for Romo

Chafin in the 8th for Arizona.  Looking like it should be Bradley in the 9th now.

I’m not sure what happened to Bradley in May/June, but he’s been a monster since 6/26 - 11 IP/0.00 ERA/19K

31 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

I’m not sure what happened to Bradley in May/June, but he’s been a monster since 6/26 - 11 IP/0.00 ERA/19K

The good thing is, because of that rough patch and his numbers being inflated, he's unowned in most league (just scooped him in like 8 of 9 leagues).

Are we gonna drop hirano for Bradley only to find out hirano gets the next save opp?

1 minute ago, pbjfb said:

Are we gonna drop hirano for Bradley only to find out hirano gets the next save opp?

That's the game we play lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well so much for Luke Jackson holding on to that job

Luke Jackson making sure Martin's changing of the guard is not disputed... 

ATL still needs to do much more! So sick of them being ridiculously cheap considering how talented and primed for rings they are. Cooperate America @ it's finest and on full display. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

Luke Jackson making sure Martin's changing of the guard is not disputed... 

ATL still needs to do much more! So sick of them being ridiculously cheap considering how talented and primed for rings they are. Cooperate America @ it's finest and on full display. 

Atl has always been cheap with the pen.  Same team that used their best and future HOF Sp Smoltz as a closer and employed the likes of Wohlers and Rocker.  They have either not felt the money was worth it or figured they could save there and make due and in the end it probably cost them 1 or 2 titles imo.

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 1

Wow, Diaz is trashy.  It's like every other year he's horrible.

1 minute ago, Tugginroot said:

Wow, Diaz is trashy.  It's like every other year he's horrible.

Tell me about it, hold it, you just did,

Posted (edited)

Diaz two years ago had 34 saves with a 3.27 ERA, a 1.15 WHIP and 89 Ks in 66 IP. I'll take that on my real or fantasy team any day.

Edited by JameisofThrones

The Diaz thing just goes to show that you shouldn’t be drafting closers with a top 120 pick.  You’re gonna get burned way more often than not.  You have to wait until the late rounds to grab guys like AJ Minter, and you still get screwed but the pounding is nowhere near as harsh.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

The Diaz thing just goes to show that you shouldn’t be drafting closers with a top 120 pick.  You’re gonna get burned way more often than not.  You have to wait until the late rounds to grab guys like AJ Minter, and you still get screwed but the pounding is nowhere near as harsh.  

Actually, while I tend to agree, I sort of believe that you target a couple of mid-tier guys in the mid teen rounds.  Grab reasonable bets there and hope it works out imo.  Then grab one or two late and work the wire in March\April.  If you wait until the end of the draft, you have real trash and are even more likely to be in a hole by May.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Well.  There is truth to this.  I am in a competitive auction league.  The owner currently in first place paid $9.00 on two closers and one set up reliever on draft day(Robertson, Boxberger, and Holland).  

There are better ways to spend money/early draft picks.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, B&F said:

Well.  There is truth to this.  I am in a competitive auction league.  The owner currently in first place paid $9.00 on two closers and one set up reliever on draft day(Robertson, Boxberger, and Holland).  

There are better ways to spend money/early draft picks.

That is completely anecdotal though.  I am sure the guy did not intend to pick 3 losers.  He went cheap, it did not work out and he adjusted accordingly early on.  Not spending a lot on closers or Cs is a fairly common strategy in auctions.   Some years it works when you guess right, others it doesn't and you work the wire\make a deal if you have to and see where you end up.  As I like to say, you need a fair amount of luck to win a fantasy league both wrt the draft\auction and wrt injuries.  And most of the common strategies you see employed like Stars and Scrubs, punting saves, etc.  will work some of the time if things break right and not work some of the time when things do not break right. 

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Atl has always been cheap with the pen.  Same team that used their best and future HOF Sp Smoltz as a closer and employed the likes of Wohlers and Rocker.  They have either not felt the money was worth it or figured they could save there and make due and in the end it probably cost them 1 or 2 titles imo.

From 1991-2005 they won 14 straight division titles. During that span, their 3.71 bullpen ERA was the second best in all of baseball to the Dodgers, who were at 3.69. Mark Wohlers and his family lived 3-4 minutes from me, so I can’t allow this slander...

On that note, Im hanging on to Martin till at least tomorrow, but I’d be surprised if they don’t make a strong push for a better 9th inning guy. Though the fact they gave up Allard for 2 months of Martin says they must be pretty high on him. 
  • Like 2

First Diaz and now Hendricks.  Fml.  Hendricks might have just lost his job.

Posted (edited)

Here's the simple truth w/ Diaz. He went to the worst run organization in all of professional sports. The Mets are just everything wrong... w/ everything.

Secondly, can anyone remember a time Diaz didn't allow an immediate BB, hit, or hit batsman... then IMEDIATELY not give two fox about the baserunner (regardless of it being a 1 run lead) advancing to 2'nd base, let alone 3'rd... most times w/out a throw given the ridiculous jump. That's coaching, plain and simple! You can't think so highly of your "stuff", that you let guys get into scoring position literaly EVERY time a runner reaches first base. As a manager w/ a pitching coach @ your disposal... you CANNOT allow that either. 

Diaz is a hot mess, his slider is flat and as much as I'd like to blame him personally... It's bigger than Diaz. 

It's Calloway (that should have been fired months ago), it's the GM who should go back to managing a Kinko's, it's ownership for a million reasons... it's just the "Mess" and what they do, who they are, and it's sad. It's just sad that a beloved team in a place as wonderful as NY is stuck w/ Will"tam"pon and his trickle down daily BS.

(It's "Fu@%ing EMBARRASSING!") per LK's hockey coach! 

Edited by LarryChip10
  • Like 1