JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

Kimbrel was cooked in the postseason last year. Cubs are going to regret that contract in a hurry.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TribeFoo said:

Kimbrel was cooked in the postseason last year. Cubs are going to regret that contract in a hurry.

If he falls flat on his face, does Stroop step back into the role? 

Edited by LarryChip10

Just now, LarryChip10 said:

If falls flat on his face, does Stroop step back into the role? 

He’d basically have to be LeClerc-level bad. I’d guess he has some leash for now but the Cubs can’t screw around in that division.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Nobody yet

OH, there's a change a comin'.

• Haha 1

Jose Alvarado suffered a nuclear meltdown against the Orioles on Wednesday, coughing up six runs (five earned) without making it through the ninth inning.

That pretty much sums it up.

12 minutes ago, lavaman said:

OH, there's a change a comin'.

A closer with his experience, 12 out of 15 saves converted and a 2.93 ERA has some leash. He also has a manager that is pretty loyal to his players. That, and there isn't a real threat behind him. He would have to have 2 more terrible outings like the last to lose his spot.

Edited by codog24

47 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Another kimbrel blowup..as an owner I definitely don’t like where this is going 

Contreras should have made that catch to make it two outs with just a guy on first. But...kimbrel got hit on every at bat, no k when he truly needed one. could be rust? could be just a continuation of the end of last season. 

as far as strop...hes been too exciting when in the closers role. I expect Kimbrel to have a long leash unless the Brewers start winning, and the cubs maintain mediocrity, with Kimbrel contributing to the badness. 

the again it's maddon, and Heyward could be closing by the end of July

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Contreras should have made that catch to make it two outs with just a guy on first. But...kimbrel got hit on every at bat, no k when he truly needed one. could be rust? could be just a continuation of the end of last season.

I vote the latter.  He didn't have that all important, punch-out pitch last year from September on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

But they haven’t been silent here.  The manager literally just said he’s still the closer.

Finally said that on the heels of Treinen saying he'll play in whatever role needed, and the manager also said he's going to ramp him up with softer outings first. I'm telling you they're handling this differently than they have before. Don't dump your Liam shares, and go grab him if you can.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Finally said that on the heels of Treinen saying he'll play in whatever role needed, and the manager also said he's going to ramp him up with softer outings first. I'm telling you they're handling this differently than they have before. Don't dump your Liam shares, and go grab him if you can.

Yeah ramp him up sounds like manager-speak for time to move on to the next guy.  Thanks for the insight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah ramp him up sounds like manager-speak for time to move on to the next guy.  Thanks for the insight.

Slusser tweet:

Melvin says Treinen remains the closer, but his first outing back will be probably in a non high leverage situation.

9 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'm not. Dude was just named closer of the month. Melvin is no dummy.

My doctor told me the only way my liver isn’t getting transplanted is if I don’t quit closers.  Why can’t I quit these losers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cardinals played matchups with a three-run lead in the ninth. Miller brought in for a pair of lefties -- whiffed them both -- then CMart for the final out, which unfortunately is not a save situation. Bummer (not Aaron).

Edited by JameisofThrones

A message to my closers after tonight....

Rjvz.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Treinen with yet another lousy outing. He hasn't looked right all year. They were forced to bring him in an extra inning game and he quickly walked everyone and blew the game. Liam is holding onto this job.

As an Iglesias owner I can relate. Although Raisel had a good save tonight. I’m still in shock. 

Edited by Members_Only_76
Hooked on phonics!

Holland with second consecutive blown save. Hirano cleans up his mess after walking two to load the bases, narrowly escaping with a DP ball to send it to extras. Yoan Lopez with a chance to maybe audition for the gig but gives up a walk-off bomb to Bellinger. That bullpen's about to get messy. Wish Archie Bradley still had a pulse...

7 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Treinen with yet another lousy outing. He hasn't looked right all year. They were forced to bring him in an extra inning game and he quickly walked everyone and blew the game. Liam is holding onto this job.

I ended up dropping Hendriks....think its time to pick him back up in lieu of Treinen?

Treinen sucks.  2018 will end up being a top 20 fluke season of all time.  Clear outlier.  Still no clue where that came from.

Treinen lost velocity as the inning went on, 95-96 with the two-seamer to the first two hitters, 93-95 after. At no point did he look comfortable on the mound. 12 balls, ten strikes.
  • Like 1