JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

Treinen sucks.  2018 will end up being a top 20 fluke season of all time.  Clear outlier.  Still no clue where that came from.

Guy has zero command.

1 hour ago, fredo_corleone said:

I ended up dropping Hendriks....think its time to pick him back up in lieu of Treinen?

Without getting too bc forum, I strongly urge anyone needing or valuing saves to go get Liam if he's somehow available.

2 hours ago, bigboyish said:

Ya I am not making the drop anymore. Treinen is clearly not ready to play.

I was considering it as well, but definitely not anymore either.  Even if they try Treinen again at some point, he's clearly nowhere near what he was last year, and Oakland can't really afford to literally give away games.

5 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Finally said that on the heels of Treinen saying he'll play in whatever role needed, and the manager also said he's going to ramp him up with softer outings first. I'm telling you they're handling this differently than they have before. Don't dump your Liam shares, and go grab him if you can.

They may be handling this differently because it’s the first time he’s experienced cuff inflammation?  Look, I’m not connected to the inside of the team or anything, but it’s strange to say the team has been silent when they haven’t been.

Edited by BMcP

from Razzball

Austin Adams – 2/3 IP, 3 ER, ERA at 3.70, as he opened the 9th in a save situation. The Marinersreally wanted Austin Adams to close this game, and, with his near-16 K/9 and barely-2 xFIP, I wanted him to close the game too, which is also why I picked him up in every league where he was available, but losing the game means Roenis Elias (2/3 IP, 2 ER) is still likely the closer

http://closermonkey.com/test/2019/07/04/arizona-about-to-declare-independence-from-holland/

Arizona Diamondbacks — This is as close to an update as Torey Lovullo will let us give you today: Greg Holland is out as closer. Evidently eager to deliver a vote of confidence after Tuesday’s 30-pitch blown save debacle, Lovullo used Holland to protect a one-run lead in the ninth. Two batters later, the game was tied. Lovullo had no substantive comment after the game and planned to use today’s off day to think through the situation with a clear head. With Holland’s reduced velocity and clear control problems, the only mystery is who’ll have the job on Friday — veteran Yoshihisa Hirano (156 saves in Japan; 9.8 K/9), rookie Yoan Lopez (1.36 ERA, .174 BAA, but only 6.5 K/9), or dark horse lefty Andrew Chafin (11.2 K/9 but .257 BAA; Rod Beck-style mustache skills). We’ll keep handicapping them in that order, but anything could happen.

Lopez had better K's last season, as well as though the minors including being a closer there.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=196953

4 hours ago, BMcP said:

They may be handling this differently because it’s the first time he’s experienced cuff inflammation?  Look, I’m not connected to the inside of the team or anything, but it’s strange to say the team has been silent when they haven’t been.

He had an elbow issue earlier this year. During any struggles and through that injury the team has been quick to proactively say he's the closer. Here they waited until prodded to give a response and after Blake said I'm okay with whatever role. Ymmv, but their actions point to Blake taking awhile to get this job back this year, if at all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He had an elbow issue earlier this year. During any struggles and through that injury the team has been quick to proactively say he's the closer. Here they waited until prodded to give a response and after Blake said I'm okay with whatever role. Ymmv, but their actions point to Blake taking awhile to get this job back this year, if at all.

I appreciate the insight - I didn’t know all the particulars.  It just sounded odd to me that you said the team was still silent on the matter when in fact the manager went on record saying Treinen was still the closer.  To repeat, I have no inside info in the situation and I know you’re a huge fan, so I’m grateful for the nuances!

• Like 2

Sucks there is no clear cut “next up” in Arizona although Hirano does have a lot of closing experience over is pitching career BUT he doesn’t have the best “stuff” in that pen

Re: Treinen 

It just doesn't seem very logical that a 10 day IL stint would be enough to come back recovered from rotator cuff inflammation.  Especially when he's admitted to it having bothered him all season.  It's clearly still affecting him and why they brought him back so soon is confusing when Hendriks has been getting the job done admirably.

I don't buy that the entire 2018 campaign was a fluke.  Let the guy heal so he can be the best version of himself.  If that means he's gone until September or whenever so be it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Anyone have any insight on the Colorado situation?  

Wondering the same thing, holding Oberg for now, but will make a switch to AZ closer if anything is announced 

5 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

from Razzball

Austin Adams – 2/3 IP, 3 ER, ERA at 3.70, as he opened the 9th in a save situation. The Marinersreally wanted Austin Adams to close this game, and, with his near-16 K/9 and barely-2 xFIP, I wanted him to close the game too, which is also why I picked him up in every league where he was available, but losing the game means Roenis Elias (2/3 IP, 2 ER) is still likely the closer

Since Elias did just as poorly, what are the chances Adams gets the next save opp too?

Loading the bases and coming in with the bases loaded are two completely different things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

Loading the bases and coming in with the bases loaded are two completely different things.

SPOT ON evaluation...

15 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

Definitely different, but the fact is Elias let all three inherited runners score and gave up two of his own, including a HR. So yeah, he crapped the bed, too. No excuses for eother one. But because Elias didn’t come in and do any better, inherited runners or not, I wonder if Adams will be given another shot?

2 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Anyone have any insight on the Colorado situation?  

Don't quote me, but I swore I read Black say Oberg would be closing games. Of course I cannot find the article now. I would hold tight to Oberg unless the ARZ situation settles itself... even then, I like Oberg to get that job soon.

Still holding Oberg for ratios, and the fact that Davis hasn't been good. Have to figure COL will make the switch if Davis struggles continue, and they are still in the playoff race. Also dumped Holland for Lopez today even though my gut kind of tells me Hirano. Just feel like Arizona always seems to lean towards the experienced hand at closer even though it may not be the most effective arm. 

Seattle situation looking more and more like Strickland will get a shot to do what they brought him in to do once he comes off the IL

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Seattle situation looking more and more like Strickland will get a shot to do what they brought him in to do once he comes off the IL

Seattle's pen has been a complete mish mosh of crap and borderline crap this year..... It just remains to be seen if Strickland can do the job.

7 minutes ago, nlm said:

Seattle's pen has been a complete mish mosh of crap and borderline crap this year..... It just remains to be seen if Strickland can do the job.

Exactly my point, that is why I said “he will get a shot”...only because NOBODY has stepped up to claim the role since he went on the IL

Seattle’s pen sucks.  Go blow up fireworks today, you don’t need these bums to blow up your ratios.  Everyone of them is a loser.

As a Hiriano owner last year who put a dragger in my season, I kind of want to see him get another shot so I can see him get absolutely destroyed.  His stuff is so god awful.  Highly doubt they give it to him.

Happy 4th Closer Thread fans.  Let’s hope these bullpen bums don’t blow up our ratios too bad.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone seen Yoan Lopez pitch? How is his stuff and makeup? The Arizona situation just seems like one to steer clear of right now. Bradley is a blowtorch. Hirano hasn’t been good. Lopez’s numbers look good, until you see his FIP is almost a full run higher than Hirano’s. 

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Has anyone seen Yoan Lopez pitch? How is his stuff and makeup? The Arizona situation just seems like one to steer clear of right now. Bradley is a blowtorch. Hirano hasn’t been good. Lopez’s numbers look good, until you see his FIP is almost a full run higher than Hirano’s. 

I just looked at Hirano's stats over the last month.  You know, the stats that actually count in fantasy baseball.  His WHIP was 1.22 but his ERA was only 1.69 with 3 Save/Holds (don't know which is which cause too lazy to switch stat pages) over 10.2 innings with 10 K's.  So not great but certainly not bad either.  So if you owned him in a Saves/Holds or Holds separate league the last month you would be fine with him.  And he is "the vet."

Yoan Lopez has better ERA (0.96)and WHIP (0.86) over that month's time with 9.1 innings pitched with 7 K's and 4 Save/Holds.  So again you would be happy for the last month's stats in a Holds or Save/Holds league.

So neither guy looks like he will hurt you on your roster anyway while awaiting the outcome.