JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

This is a little off topic but for those looking for info on ERA estimators, here are a couple links I’ve found helpful. I think the general consensus is SIERA>xFIP>FIP>ERA at assessing a pitcher’s performance and predicting future results.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9783614/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beyondtheboxscore.com/platform/amp/2017/7/2/15895846/era-fip-dra-xfip-siera-dips-theory-measuring-pitcher-success

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Lol 

But everybody else in the world is honest and says "Holland has a 50/50 chance of getting the save if the situation arises tonight"....

4 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Maybe this is your typically shortsighted loyalty to a veteran by Lovullo, but I have to think he is not dumb enough to think that Holland is his best option to close games at this point. Could be a mandate from management to try to rebuild a small amount of trade value for Holland before the deadline. Whatever it is, Holland is a ticking timebomb. My guess is he blows one soon and is replaced, but I suppose there is a slight chance he gets hot/lucky and strings a few together and is shipped out (somewhere he will not close). Either way, with those incentives in his contract he won't be finishing games in Arizona with the team going nowhere.

16 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

And there is the opposite side of the coin -- a manager only concerned with winning games, not shoving the incumbent back into the role when someone else is clearly pitching better.

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Like 1

Who’s next in line for the Mets? Diaz needs to be dfa’d ASAP 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Who’s next in line for the Mets? Diaz needs to be dfa’d ASAP 

Jarred Kelenic....woot woot

• Haha 3

Things currently angering me,,,

O's using Fry over Givens for save opp tonight. Clean inning for those desperate

Another Diaz meltdown, made worse (or maybe better for job security?) by Familia also getting torched behind him.

2 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

And there is the opposite side of the coin -- a manager only concerned with winning games, not shoving the incumbent back into the role when someone else is clearly pitching better.

Imagine that. 

Edited by Minnesota_Jack
Change

3 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Translation: “I’d like to get him out of the closer role but all of my other options suck just as bad.”

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

And it's officially time to bring this back again since it is shocking when a manager actually makes the right decision...

th-5.jpeg

Hendriks coming in to prove their manager is indeed a smart one...

6 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Hendriks coming in to prove their manager is indeed a smart one...

Hendriks is just filthy. Treinen will never see his closer role again. This coming from a Treinen owner that still held on to Hendriks even after Treinen was activated. 

• Like 2

And he cruises to another save with a 1, 2, 3 inning (2 K's).

Already calling it.  Top 5 closer easy for ROS, and he's now going to the All-Star game (replacing Charlie Morton).

16 minutes ago, quietj said:

Hendriks is just filthy. Treinen will never see his closer role again. This coming from a Treinen owner that still held on to Hendriks even after Treinen was activated. 

As a Treinen owner and non Hendricks owner I agree.  A’s got a tough decision on Blake.  You can’t rely hide him anywhere.  A’s are back in playoff race they don’t got time to be experimenting on some fluke loser rediscovering his 2018 form.  

On 7/4/2019 at 7:05 AM, AnonymousRob said:

He had an elbow issue earlier this year. During any struggles and through that injury the team has been quick to proactively say he's the closer. Here they waited until prodded to give a response and after Blake said I'm okay with whatever role. Ymmv, but their actions point to Blake taking awhile to get this job back this year, if at all.

7 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I'd like to take this moment to brag. 

Meaningless ego boosts aside, is anyone even bothering to hold onto Blake? He hasn't looked right all season, but I can understand the need to keep him in a deeper blood for saves league. But beyond those, I'm hard pressed to see the value here.

27 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'd like to take this moment to brag. 

Meaningless ego boosts aside, is anyone even bothering to hold onto Blake? He hasn't looked right all season, but I can understand the need to keep him in a deeper blood for saves league. But beyond those, I'm hard pressed to see the value here.

Could still be a case of them just riding the hot hand. They said something along the lines of 'as long as he's pitching well.' I would hold both for now if possible just to see how it plays out but I'm hoping Liam runs far far away with it.

Anyone have any insight on what to think about P. Fry getting save opp. over Givens?  Fry is available in my league, but don't know what to think about the situation.