Sign in to follow this  
osb_tensor

Prospects Live Top 100 Mid-season Fantasy Prospects

Can we move on from klaw and actually talk about the website that has provided an updated list. 

• Like 9

I feel like being 1st on Wander isn't indicative of skill but rather just boldness. He's been the consensus #1 international prospect in his year since he was what, 14? There was no reason to doubt Franco unless he preformed poorly rookie ball and he killed it, making any aversion to rank him highly go away. It's like lists ranking Jasson Dominguez high now. It's more likely than not he kills rookie ball next year but no one should be receiving bonus points for ranking him high when he hasn't played stateside yet. Those people aren't "first," they're just bold and not afraid to risk looking dumb a few years for now, which doesn't necessarily lead to a strong list. I prefer lists that put risk into account for younger guys since prospects obviously flame out. 

Sure it's one thing to be first in ranking Wander in the top 10, but putting him as a borderline top 100 guy entering 2018 isn't really that special.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

That's fine and understandable, but he was hardly first on him. Seems middle of the pack. 

Maybe but he had him ranked 3rd to start the season.  I don't think BA, BP, Fangraphs, MLB had him that high that early.  

32 minutes ago, adwilk1231 said:

Maybe but he had him ranked 3rd to start the season.  I don't think BA, BP, Fangraphs, MLB had him that high that early.  

I think Vlad, Eloy, and Tatis were consensus top 3 in some order, usually with Vlad first. I don't see a big deal between ranking someone a few spots differently, even at the top. All 3 could still be better than Franco too, so I'm not sure what any of that proves in July of 2019. Everyone thought highly of all 4 of those dudes coming into 2019. 

Ok, this Keith Law discussion is clearly off topic. Let's get back to a discussion of these rankings por favor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I came here to read about Prospects Live and stayed for whatever else all of that above was?

My first thumbs up on their list had to be a line in the Brendan McKay write-up:  He’s a little more valuable in leagues where he’s one entity.

Okay not just funny but shows they pay attention to various fantasy baseball platforms as well which makes the list more valuable and friendly to people like us.  Also these write-ups can be a bore given the long list of those to go through unless you have a good sense of humor thrown in.

24 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Wow, I came here to read about Prospects Live and stayed for whatever else all of that above was?

My first thumbs up on their list had to be a line in the Brendan McKay write-up:  He’s a little more valuable in leagues where he’s one entity.

Okay not just funny but shows they pay attention to various fantasy baseball platforms as well which makes the list more valuable and friendly to people like us.  Also these write-ups can be a bore given the long list of those to go through unless you have a good sense of humor thrown in.

I'm not entirely sure that was a joke.

5 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'm not entirely sure that was a joke.

Oh it is true but just because it is true doesn't mean it isn't a humorous dig at Yahoo too.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

1) Love lists that are geared toward fantasy. Wish there was mention of potential arrival. Would help. 

2) Matt Manning ranked ahead of Casey Mize was interesting. And saying Mize has SP2 upside (and not SP1). This is the first I’ve seen of both. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

1) Love lists that are geared toward fantasy. Wish there was mention of potential arrival. Would help. 

2) Matt Manning ranked ahead of Casey Mize was interesting. And saying Mize has SP2 upside (and not SP1). This is the first I’ve seen of both. 

Yeah I would take Mize over Manning too, and I say that as a Manning owner. Mize seems like a close lock to be good if he's healthy, but he seems more Greinkeish upside, who I guess is an underappreciated Ace, than like a Scherzer/Sale type to me. As much as Mize has dominated this year, a sub 9 K/9 doesn't scream Ace to me from a top prospect. I think having a floor of being a very good pitcher is what draws me to Mize, you can never have too many good pitchers on a team whether redraft or Dynasty, especially in this era. 

• Like 2

Way too low on Nick Madrigal, they have numerous batters ahead of him who literally haven’t even figured out how to hit yet (Jordyn Adams, I’m looking in your direction)

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yeah I would take Mize over Manning too, and I say that as a Manning owner. Mize seems like a close lock to be good if he's healthy, but he seems more Greinkeish upside, who I guess is an underappreciated Ace, than like a Scherzer/Sale type to me. As much as Mize has dominated this year, a sub 9 K/9 doesn't scream Ace to me from a top prospect. I think having a floor of being a very good pitcher is what draws me to Mize, you can never have too many good pitchers on a team whether redraft or Dynasty, especially in this era. 

Gimme Manning.

4 hours ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Way too low on Nick Madrigal, they have numerous batters ahead of him who literally haven’t even figured out how to hit yet (Jordyn Adams, I’m looking in your direction)

I just don't get the Madrigal love.  He's not Pedoria.  He's not Altuve.  

But it's pretty clear these guys chase upside.

fairly confident Madrigal is going to be a guy like Brendan Rodgers/JP Crawford that either stagnates or just starts dropping down lists before he's up. 

54 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Gimme Manning.

Mize only problem is he's too efficient. So his K% is always going to look deceptively lower then his actual whiff ability. He has a higher SwStr then Manning in AA. Manning having a higher K% is more a function of having longer counts and wasting more pitches.

Anyone who plays with QS I don't think its even much of a question Mize is better play. He's likely to be a QS machine like Soroka.

W/L I still favor Mize. Feel free to chase the K% and Velocity Dragon on Manning though. Though it's not like Mize Fastball isn't also a plus.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Jordyn Adams is 19 and has plenty of time to figure things out. The tools he possesses are undeniably much more intriguing than what Madrigal has to offer in fantasy.

• Like 2

What are your thoughts on Pearson at 54?  Gotta imagine if he was allowed/able to perform deeper into games he'd be quite a bit higher with his raw "stuff".  Not saying they're wrong necessarily.  I'm just really intrigued by him. 

55 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

What are your thoughts on Pearson at 54?  Gotta imagine if he was allowed/able to perform deeper into games he'd be quite a bit higher with his raw "stuff".  Not saying they're wrong necessarily.  I'm just really intrigued by him. 

He's way too low.   There's risk there but the upside is special.

10 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

No love for Seth Beer on these lists? Absolutely mashing at every stop he’s made in the minors.

They at least moved him to 96 from 172, with that said I was surprised he wasn't ranked higher in the beginning of the season. He is progressing fast, mashing where ever he goes.  just wait til he gets to PCL. I've bought stock in my dynasty league  

11 hours ago, CounterPunch said:

Jordyn Adams is 19 and has plenty of time to figure things out. The tools he possesses are undeniably much more intriguing than what Madrigal has to offer in fantasy.

There have been sooo many of these toolsey guys over the years who never learn to hit, at this point it is like a lottery ticket. Maybe these guys never got burned by holding onto Anthony Alford for years like I did.

Madrigal seems to be a polarizing figure on fantasy lists, but ranking him in the 80s is aggressive.  Speedy middle infielders have fantasy value even without power, and Madrigal’s .311 avg, 2.4 K% (!!), 8.2 BB% points to a very advanced hitting ability, one of a kind really.

Leaving aside all the raw tools guys they put ahead of Madrigal, what is the devil’s advocate for ranking Xavier Edwards higher?  Similar profile but the lack of power they dinged Madrigal for is an even bigger problem with Edwards.

6 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Leaving aside all the raw tools guys they put ahead of Madrigal, what is the devil’s advocate for ranking Xavier Edwards higher?  Similar profile but the lack of power they dinged Madrigal for is an even bigger problem with Edwards.

It's a fantasy list, so I guess steals,  If Edwards is good enough to make it to the majors and hit atop a lineup, I think he will be one of the better steals assets in fantasy.