dino10k

Boston Celtics 2019-2020 Season Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, jsquints said:

 

With the defensive downgrade horford > kanter I figure Smart will be getting all the mins he can handle. I feel like his defensive impact is as important to winning games as any other weapon on the roster.

 

I’m big fan of his pride on D and tenaciousness, especially come playoffs. However, I think he’ll be very beneficial and much needed for the 2nd unit. So I think he comes of the bench but agree though he should still be getting decent minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giannis or Embiid are players  that can do whatever they want this year against Celtics.   Horford is gone, who is going to guard them?   

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Giannis or Embiid are players  that can do whatever they want this year against Celtics.   Horford is gone, who is going to guard them?   

 

Fair point.  We'll see how Time Lord develops....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

 

Fair point.  We'll see how Time Lord develops....

Sorry bro, but Gile and others are right. Giannis and Embiid can do whatever they want against Boston. Asking Williams to develop fast enough and guard them is not realistic or smart. The Celtics are not true contenders in the East, and given their almost endless supply of draft picks they had for 5 years, they really have nothing to show for it. The Nets came out of that looking better than Boston. You got Kemba, Tatum, Brown? That's cute. Kemba doesn't play defense and that doesn't quite work in the playoffs. He is not a gamebreaker like Kyrie on the other end either. Tatum is nice but he needs to take a step forward this year, not back. I'd take an injured KD over him anyways, as I'm sure most would. Are they gonna pay Brown a max? LeVert is better than him too. Even DJ could punk the C's upfront, who's gonna guard him, Kanter? Celtics are a very flawed team with not that bright of a future in my opinion. Honestly, after all the picks Ainge had, and what he has today to show for it, I'm not sure how he even has a job. A 10 year old could've managed resources as good as he did. Inexcusable from him. I'm surprised more Boston fans haven't said anything about it. I'd be so upset.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 3:16 PM, RedRaider27 said:

Sorry bro, but Gile and others are right. Giannis and Embiid can do whatever they want against Boston. Asking Williams to develop fast enough and guard them is not realistic or smart. The Celtics are not true contenders in the East, and given their almost endless supply of draft picks they had for 5 years, they really have nothing to show for it. The Nets came out of that looking better than Boston. You got Kemba, Tatum, Brown? That's cute. Kemba doesn't play defense and that doesn't quite work in the playoffs. He is not a gamebreaker like Kyrie on the other end either. Tatum is nice but he needs to take a step forward this year, not back. I'd take an injured KD over him anyways, as I'm sure most would. Are they gonna pay Brown a max? LeVert is better than him too. Even DJ could punk the C's upfront, who's gonna guard him, Kanter? Celtics are a very flawed team with not that bright of a future in my opinion. Honestly, after all the picks Ainge had, and what he has today to show for it, I'm not sure how he even has a job. A 10 year old could've managed resources as good as he did. Inexcusable from him. I'm surprised more Boston fans haven't said anything about it. I'd be so upset.

Ainge was saving his assets for years under the assumption that he would trade for Anthony Davis. It was the plan all along. The problem with that plan was not considering that AD was only ever going to accept a trade to one particular team, and that team wasn't the Celtics. 

 

Ainge assumed. He messed up by doing that. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ainge definitely was trying to get Anthony Davis. But no way would Ainge consider trading for Davis if he did not agree to a contract extension first. But the Lakers did trade for him. And probably overpaid. Lakers probably assuming he signs. Davis could be a Free Agent next year....Maybe he goes to Chicago or New York. 

I'm still an Ainge fan. We are still a contender and we still have draft picks. The Memphis pick being the main trade chip down the road.

Trying to stop Embiid and/or Antetokounmpo will be a problem this year. But Toronto went to the Finals last year and not Philly or Milwaukee. So you never know.......Yes Toronto has Gasol and Ibaka. Boston has........Well like I just said. You never know. 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dino10k said:

Ainge definitely was trying to get Anthony Davis. But no way would Ainge consider trading for Davis if he did not agree to a contract extension first. But the Lakers did trade for him. And probably overpaid. Lakers probably assuming he signs. Davis could be a Free Agent next year....Maybe he goes to Chicago or New York. 

I'm still an Ainge fan. We are still a contender and we still have draft picks. The Memphis pick being the main trade chip down the road.

Trying to stop Embiid and/or Antetokounmpo will be a problem this year. But Toronto went to the Finals last year and not Philly or Milwaukee. So you never know.......Yes Toronto has Gasol and Ibaka. Boston has........Well like I just said. You never know. 

 

 

 

 

The Lakers didn't overpay, it takes assets to acquire top end talent. Anthony Davis is worth all that. He wants to be in LA, and barring anything crazy, he will more than likely be resigning with LA. If he's the face of the franchise for the next decade, how exactly was it an overpay when we gave up 3 players, and I believe 3 picks? You need to take risks to win, we literally just saw it happen with Toronto. Besides, the Clippers paid a helluva lot more for PG, who isn't even as good as AD, and could easily bounce in 2 years. Expecting him to resign with the Clips is definitely not a for sure, considering he's already totally bailed on two different teams in the last 4 years. If they get no championship, it's seen as a failure, just like the Lakers. A lot of teams are in that boat and playing with fire. Props to both teams and all the other teams taking risks, they might win a ring and be rewarded for it. Ainge and the Celtics will be sitting on the sidelines watching as they were too gutless to make a big splashy move, and are not true contenders.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

The Lakers didn't overpay, it takes assets to acquire top end talent. Anthony Davis is worth all that. He wants to be in LA, and barring anything crazy, he will more than likely be resigning with LA. If he's the face of the franchise for the next decade, how exactly was it an overpay when we gave up 3 players, and I believe 3 picks? You need to take risks to win, we literally just saw it happen with Toronto. Besides, the Clippers paid a helluva lot more for PG, who isn't even as good as AD, and could easily bounce in 2 years. Expecting him to resign with the Clips is definitely not a for sure, considering he's already totally bailed on two different teams in the last 4 years. If they get no championship, it's seen as a failure, just like the Lakers. A lot of teams are in that boat and playing with fire. Props to both teams and all the other teams taking risks, they might win a ring and be rewarded for it. Ainge and the Celtics will be sitting on the sidelines watching as they were too gutless to make a big splashy move, and are not true contenders.

Paul George's shoulder's may not last 2 years. Leonard finished last season basically playing on 1 leg. Lakers will crush them. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Auction>Snake said:

Paul George's shoulder's may not last 2 years. Leonard finished last season basically playing on 1 leg. Lakers will crush them. 

I wouldn't say the Lakers will crush them, but they both are definitely set up for a great rivalry the next couple years. Obviously both have two great star talents. Both are fighting for dominance LA and both are against the odds in a stacked Western Conference. I actually think in a lot of ways they are similar. Both have depth issues, both are wondering what they will do at PG and upfront at C. Both have a 6th man that can come off the bench and get buckets in a hurry for them, both have 2 stars like I already stated. The Clippers defensive lineup gets talked about quite a bit, and for good reason, but the Lakers can actually put together a pretty solid lineup that would be tough to score on in the playoffs, similar to the Clips. Oh yeah, both have health concerns too to their main players too. They are very similar to each other in my opinion. This is the Celtics thread, so I don't want to hijack it but yeah, should be a great battle between both LA teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

I wouldn't say the Lakers will crush them, but they both are definitely set up for a great rivalry the next couple years. Obviously both have two great star talents. Both are fighting for dominance LA and both are against the odds in a stacked Western Conference. I actually think in a lot of ways they are similar. Both have depth issues, both are wondering what they will do at PG and upfront at C. Both have a 6th man that can come off the bench and get buckets in a hurry for them, both have 2 stars like I already stated. The Clippers defensive lineup gets talked about quite a bit, and for good reason, but the Lakers can actually put together a pretty solid lineup that would be tough to score on in the playoffs, similar to the Clips. Oh yeah, both have health concerns too to their main players too. They are very similar to each other in my opinion. This is the Celtics thread, so I don't want to hijack it but yeah, should be a great battle between both LA teams.

 

Cool story bro!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Both have a 6th man that can come off the bench and get buckets in a hurry for them

Lou's been doing that for years now,  Clippers are set with 6th man.  Who will be the man for Lakers?  

Back to Celtics, it is time for Ainge to "Just do it".   Unless he and Celtics fans are happy with being playoff team and not a true contender.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is winning and there is winning. I don’t see much merit in going after 3 of the top 5 players in the league in FA. 

 

Love the Kemba signing. Never liked the overs we paid with the Hayward signing. I hope we now build with what we have. We’ll need a better big down the road to contend but for now I wanna see us develop with what we got.

 

Lets gooo!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pyschout said:

Not really though

So uh, who is exactly gonna play center for them? Zubac? Haha, good one. Pat Bev is solid for sure, but after that, who ya got? Sounds like depth issues to me but who knows, I'm just some guy on a Rotoworld forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

Lou's been doing that for years now,  Clippers are set with 6th man.  Who will be the man for Lakers?  

Back to Celtics, it is time for Ainge to "Just do it".   Unless he and Celtics fans are happy with being playoff team and not a true contender.  

Kuzzzzzz. Never said he would be on Lou's level but he gets buckets. I'd say he'll be one of the better 6th men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

So uh, who is exactly gonna play center for them? Zubac? Haha, good one. Pat Bev is solid for sure, but after that, who ya got? Sounds like depth issues to me but who knows, I'm just some guy on a Rotoworld forum.

Zubac, Harrell, Kabengele?

I expect the Clippers to annihilate the Lakers.  In fact, I don't think the Lakers make the play-offs...  Again.

 

Anyway - back to the Celtics.  What do you guys expect from Tatum and Brown this season?  Is either going to make that projected leap?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been said a million times but the Celtics should have much better chemistry.  They are still undersized and young but have plenty of depth at every position.   Especially if they figure a way to sign Tacko.  They need to move Theis eventually but no rush because Tacko seems to have some sort of handshake.  I really wasn't that excited about Tacko at first but now I see his potential for what he is.  he'll be a good rotation big man.  They have Kanter, Williams and Poirier.  Tacko can really make a dent in that. I expect Williams to be much improved.  And Kanter will be a solid player.  I think they can legitamently go big at times. There really is not a weak player on the team.  Wannamaker, Grant Williams, Edwards, Langford will fill out the roster but they can all contribute.   Kemba, Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Smart is your core.  And they seem to be doing really well and gel'ing over the summer.  The Celtics may need to move a wing ultimately.  But they have depth at all positions and are in no need to do that now.  

In the east the Celtics will challenge and they can really challenge anyone.  Ainge is always parlaying picks.  They picked up the Bucks pick in that swap so now they have the Bucks and Memphis pick still in 2020 or 2021.  There is always a safety net with Ainge.

As far as fantasy Kemba, Smart, Hayward, Brown and Tatum are all very draftable.  Smart as a specialist with 3's and steals per usual.  I've had him on my team each y ear because he's a good specialist.  Kanter is draftable for his scoring and rebounding.  Williams will be a nice late round pick.  Everyone else not really right now.   Tacko may work his way in.  Maybe Grant Williams.

 

Edited by walker834

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's nearly impossible on the Celtics team for any player to make a huge leap.  Kemba is going to be his typical self and may defer more.  Either Tatum or Hayward will make a leap.  There might be room for a couple guys.  I don't think Brown, Hayward and Tatum can all make huge leaps but they will all probably improve in some way.  One of them may make a huge leap. Stevens will do his best coaching job and may win coach of the year.  I think there will be significant leaps all around.

Edited by walker834

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2019 at 2:07 PM, RedRaider27 said:

So uh, who is exactly gonna play center for them? Zubac? Haha, good one. Pat Bev is solid for sure, but after that, who ya got? Sounds like depth issues to me but who knows, I'm just some guy on a Rotoworld forum.

Bro, if you think the Lakers and Clippers have similar "depth issues" you can only be a Lakers fan or a Clippers hater.  The Clippers are deep.  The Lakers are shallow.  That's all there is to it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pyschout said:

Bro, if you think the Lakers and Clippers have similar "depth issues" you can only be a Lakers fan or a Clippers hater.  The Clippers are deep.  The Lakers are shallow.  That's all there is to it.

Bro, if you think the Clippers are deep and the Lakers are shallow, you yourself can only be a Clippers fan or a Lakers hater. How can you really sit up here and say the Clippers are deep? Pat Bev is their only legit point guard. Zubac is a backup, a nice one, but a backup. How can you possibly say they are a deep team? They are very deep at one position, small forward. Congrats, unfortunately that doesn't make them a deep team. They have holes I literally just outlined which you seem to throw out the window on your pursuit of propping them up to be something they aren't. 

Similar to the Clippers, the Lakers have depth issues at point and center. While I like Caruso and McGee at their respective positions, they are not the answer. Both are backups. Similar to the Clippers, we have more than enough forwards to be deep at the position. Our 2 guard spot will be fine as well. However, the Lakers are not deep as they have 2 HOLES in their roster construction, JUST LIKE the Clippers. Therefore, they cannot be a deep team, they have roster flaws. This is really simple buddy, just look at the depth chart and follow the map. I don't mean to make this about you, but you guys are just really misinformed around here. Do yourselves a favor and research before you start something with someone else. The Clippers are being propped up like some indestructible, flawless team, when in reality, they are not. They are a good team, potentially great team, but people need to take a step back from the bandwagon for a minute and see the whole picture. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

How can you really sit up here and say the Clippers are deep?

Well, most people do say that.  But apparently a random Laker fan thinks that the Clippers pretty well talked about depth doesn't exist and the Lakers well talked about lack of roster behind LeBron/AD/Kuzma doesn't exist. 

 

So that's interesting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if the Clippers aren't deep in general, when LouWill can go off for 20 points off the bench in any given night, it completely changes the bench dynamic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.