machine3

Justin Jackson 2019 Outlook

I think regardless of the exact split between AE and JJ, we can all agree that he should be going earlier than he is right now. He's going at 12.07 according to FFC half-PPR ADP which means he's getting picked behind guys like Justice Hill, Ito Smith, and Kalen Ballage. Granted in bestball leagues I see him going in the 10th-11th pretty regularly now. 

If someone gave you insider info that the Chargers wouldn't sign MGIII to a new deal, where would you take him? I'd say 7th-8th round. I think the reason he's still so cheap is because if MGIII signs, he is likely worthless whereas AE has stand-alone value (though maybe JJ could unseat AE?).  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Jet said:

I think regardless of the exact split between AE and JJ, we can all agree that he should be going earlier than he is right now. He's going at 12.07 according to FFC half-PPR ADP which means he's getting picked behind guys like Justice Hill, Ito Smith, and Kalen Ballage. Granted in bestball leagues I see him going in the 10th-11th pretty regularly now. 

If someone gave you insider info that the Chargers wouldn't sign MGIII to a new deal, where would you take him? I'd say 7th-8th round. I think the reason he's still so cheap is because if MGIII signs, he is likely worthless whereas AE has stand-alone value (though maybe JJ could unseat AE?).  

Yeah you’re prob right. 

The national narrative is AE is the guy to own over JJ regardless of MG.  Ballage and Ito are, at the least, presumed primary cuffs.  So I get it.   

But...we’ve seen AE play lead back and it was not pretty.   He’s good as the quick hitting COP.    Really good.    More than that and he’s exposed.    Jackson on the other hand has the build and has shown flashes of primary back ability.   I like his value in the 9th and later.    Big time upside.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If everybody knew Gordon wasn't gonna sign I could see him going in late fifth to sixth round in 12 team leagues.  In the Drake, Coleman, Cohen range.

Justin Jackson was awesome in that Pittsburgh game.  I agree he has more of the build of a main back.  Probably will grab him if MGIII is still holding out on my league's auction day.

I have the same feeling about the Gordon situation as I did with Leveon. This will definitely linger into the year and possibly for the whole year. Zeke's situation will be handled way before Gordon's. Justin's stock will rise as Gordon's situation gets worse.

I like looking for him anytime in the 120-140 range currently. He has more upside than a peyton barber or devin singletary but obviously there is the chance they make a deal with gordon and he becomes droppable. Every week that goes by will increase his value too and you may be able to use him as trade bait with the gordon owner to upgrade a position. 

Edited by automatica21

1 hour ago, automatica21 said:

I like looking for him anytime in the 120-140 range currently. He has more upside than a peyton barber or devin singletary but obviously there is the chance they make a deal with gordon and he becomes droppable. Every week that goes by will increase his value too and you may be able to use him as trade bait with the gordon owner to upgrade a position. 

He’s going to go way higher than that. If Gordon doesn’t sign he’s a potential 4th or 5th round pick. James Connor of 2019

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FantasyGuru24 said:

He’s going to go way higher than that. If Gordon doesn’t sign he’s a potential 4th or 5th round pick. James Connor of 2019

I'm anticipating taking this guy in virtually every league if the value is there. So, I have high hopes for JJ. However, his situation isn't as fluid as Connor. Connor had no competition for snaps on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd downs and was somewhat being groomed for the role that we see him in now.

If JJ seamlessly moves into the MG spot and Eckler is relegated to his normal work, then we can talk about Conner. Because things are still so uncertain right now, you can get JJ for a big discount. He definitely sits right outside the top 100.

Edited by nonstopfan

On 8/5/2019 at 2:19 PM, FantasyGuru24 said:

Eh I don't see him ever being that high unless they traded Gordon or news came out that they definitely were not signing Gordon. He'll creep up to Jordan Howard/Miles Sanders territory in the coming weeks most likely. I do like the idea of hedging and selling him to the Gordon owner if you can though because you can give yourself an upgrade while the Gordon owner winds up losing out even if Jackson became a viable RB2.

Same goes with giving the Zeke owner tony pollard or Alfred Morris if they wanted for an upgrade. Your team gets better, while at the same time if the Zeke owner winds up having to use Tony Pollard as their guy instead of Zeke their team is probably still handicapped. I favor taking the value soon if you can because you gain nothing if the players get their contracts.  

Edited by automatica21

7 minutes ago, automatica21 said:

Eh I don't see him ever being that high unless they traded Gordon or news came out that they definitely were not signing Gordon. He'll creep up to Jordan Howard/Miles Sanders territory in the coming weeks most likely. I do like the idea of hedging and selling him to the Gordon owner if you can though because you can give yourself an upgrade while the Gordon owner winds up losing out even if Jackson became a viable RB2.

Yes, indeed.  Just like last year when the correct play was to get Conner and NOT Bell, this year getting Jackson and not Gordon may be the way to go.

Hard to dictate this one, not sure how long Gordon will hodlout.......

Saying JJ will be like Conner last yr is just lazy analysis. Totally different situations. Plus, Ekeler gonna have his 8-13 touches regardless. I get it, yes IF MG holds well into season JJ will be a value, but not to the extent Conner was last yr...anyways...I dig JJ game...any new developments with MG? Running backs already a s@@@ show this year...

Edited by Whitecloud0101

Both he and Ekeler had good games yesterday with Ekeler getting the starting nod. Ekeler did have a fumble loss on a redzone carry from the 2 yard line, while Jackson hit pay dirt from 4 yards out. Minus the fumble, Ekeler did have 2 nice gains of 10+ yards and Jackson was solid, as well. So far this is looking like what most believe, a committee, and should have Melvin Gordon & his agent concerned about their contract stance.

34 minutes ago, FantasyGuru24 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1159654931365629952

NFL Network (@nflnetwork) Tweeted:
Justin Jackson finds the corner gets the @Chargers on the board!

📺: #LACvsAZ on NFL Network (or check local listings) https://t.co/bzJYE15w54

Nice run. Saw him wait for his blockers for a cut back lane, but since no open lane formed he accelerated and powered to the outside for the pylon.

Looks like he got leaner...

Im going to buy with how cheap he is

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CABLE87 said:

Looks like he got leaner...

Im going to buy with how cheap he is

Looks like his price is still relatively the same which is surprising. Even in Mocks where RB's flew off the board, he can be had late. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next two weeks.

5 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Looks like his price is still relatively the same which is surprising. Even in Mocks where RB's flew off the board, he can be had late. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next two weeks.

If I am Melvin Gordon I am seriously questioning my agent now. Based off initial impressions (first preseason game) the Chargers look like they might just be alright without his services.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pdizzle710 said:

If I am Melvin Gordon I am seriously questioning my agent now. Based off initial impressions (first preseason game) the Chargers look like they might just be alright without his services.

It's all about depth. Just goes to show you how teams that have good player personnel are better equipped to handle situations like this. Pittsburgh last year with Bell is another good example. 

Dallas on the other hand, while (I think) they have good layer personnel, doesn't have good depth at the RB position IMO. Which is why I think a deal gets worked out there whereas I think Gordon's gonna be sitting out for a while. 

JMHO...

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chargerswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/11/chargers-melvin-ingram-on-justin-jackson-hes-an-elite-back/amp/

Chargers' Melvin Ingram on Justin Jackson: 'He's an elite back'

The Chargers are into their third week of training camp without running back Melvin Gordon, who is holding out because of a contract dispute.

The absence of Gordon has led to the emergence of Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson managing the full load in the backfield.

There’s a lot to be excited about the tandem, especially Jackson, the second-year back. Jackson has received rave received from many thus far, including some from defensive end Melvin Ingram.

Ingram had very high praise for Jackson following Sunday’s practice.

“He’s definitely an elite back. His vision, you can’t coach what he has. Man, his vision. His vision and the way he runs the ball is great. It’s amazing how he can see stuff in a split-second,” per the Orange County Register’s Gilbert Manzano.

That’s not the first time that we’ve heard something like that. Ekeler recently commented on his teammate, saying that he’s got some “razzle dazzle and hocus pocus.”

The former Northwestern product has made great strides from his rookie campaign, displaying a faster back who has gained a better sense of the offensive playbook.

The former seventh-round selection finished his rookie year with 50 rushing attempts for 206 yards and two touchdowns, as well as 15 receptions for 135 yards, good for a total yards average of 5.25 yards per touch.

If Gordon continues to holdout, Jackson might serve as the better option to get first- and second-down duties over Ekeler, as he showed that he could handle a bigger role while at Northwestern, posting four consecutive 1,000-yard seasons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 8/12/2019 at 2:03 PM, FantasyGuru24 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chargerswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/11/chargers-melvin-ingram-on-justin-jackson-hes-an-elite-back/amp/

Chargers' Melvin Ingram on Justin Jackson: 'He's an elite back'

The Chargers are into their third week of training camp without running back Melvin Gordon, who is holding out because of a contract dispute.

The absence of Gordon has led to the emergence of Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson managing the full load in the backfield.

There’s a lot to be excited about the tandem, especially Jackson, the second-year back. Jackson has received rave received from many thus far, including some from defensive end Melvin Ingram.

Ingram had very high praise for Jackson following Sunday’s practice.

“He’s definitely an elite back. His vision, you can’t coach what he has. Man, his vision. His vision and the way he runs the ball is great. It’s amazing how he can see stuff in a split-second,” per the Orange County Register’s Gilbert Manzano.

That’s not the first time that we’ve heard something like that. Ekeler recently commented on his teammate, saying that he’s got some “razzle dazzle and hocus pocus.”

The former Northwestern product has made great strides from his rookie campaign, displaying a faster back who has gained a better sense of the offensive playbook.

The former seventh-round selection finished his rookie year with 50 rushing attempts for 206 yards and two touchdowns, as well as 15 receptions for 135 yards, good for a total yards average of 5.25 yards per touch.

If Gordon continues to holdout, Jackson might serve as the better option to get first- and second-down duties over Ekeler, as he showed that he could handle a bigger role while at Northwestern, posting four consecutive 1,000-yard seasons.

I agree with the majority of that article.  But I believe Ekelar also put up some crazy good numbers in 4 years at Western Colorado State.  All though I think he also missed about one game per year and might not of had as many carries.

For me JJ just seems to have a more durable and suitable build for grinding a bit.  Not completely ideal though, he could certainly do with adding some muscle weight.  

But more than anything, if MG does sit out, the Chargers have no reason to play either RB until the parts fall off.  They would be better served splitting time between the two for various reasons.  Trying to use either as bellcow serves no benefit to them or either player.

Also gonna target him with my picks 125/128 in a 14team league. Great value!!