machine3

Justin Jackson 2019 Outlook

Just now, wideopen21 said:

Christian McCaffrey 5'11 202

giphy.gif

Live footage of me being transported into 2017. McCaffrey weighs 211 today.

1 hour ago, lbjames6 said:

I'll admit, the quote is kind of confusing but the main thing is that very last sentence.

I read it as Jackson & Ekeler will have the same amount of carries, but Ekeler will remain the receiving back as well. Call it a 60/40 split in favor of Ekeler

13 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Justin Jackson 6ft 199

Christian McCaffrey 5'11 202

Meanwhile, Ekeler isn't exactly a big, sturdy RB that can has proven to be strong enough to run between the tackles for an entire year either.5'9, 195 coming out of college. 

Logically. If you are only going to weigh 200 LBs. You'd rather be 5'9 then 6'0

Also McCaffrey has added bulk since that measurement.

Jackson is getting carries because Ekeler is probably too small for a bell cow role. Yet I don't think Jackson does anything notably better than Ekeler. IMO. So he's not like going to vulture most of the TDs/short yardage or anything. 

Edited by Slatykamora

On 9/1/2019 at 6:27 PM, Slatykamora said:

Logically. If you are only going to weigh 200 LBs. You'd rather be 5'9 then 6'0

Also McCaffrey has added bulk since that measurement.

Jackson is getting carries because Ekeler is probably too small for a bell cow role. Yet I don't think Jackson does anything notably better than Ekeler. IMO. So he's not like going to vulture most of the TDs/short yardage or anything. 

Gimmie a 50/50 split and goal line work. Justin Jackson has a clear path to success granted the Chargers offense can continue to produce as it has

30 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

The crazy talk of people jumping on Ekeler in 4th round. I don’t get it. It’s like people think dudes going to put up RB2 numbers or something while Melvin sits.  Have these people looked at the game logs from last year when Gordon sat out those 4 games?  I had Ekeler and Jackson last year in full point PPR (also had Gordon) and Ekeler ended up as nothing more than a flex when Gordon missed those 4 games. Ekeler actually performed better in games Gordon played. In fact the first game Melvin sat and Ekeler started he fell flat on his face. 2nd game Jackson was the one who shined. Jackson also shined in the 4th game Melvin sat. I just don’t see why everyone around here is so convinced Ekeler is the one and why he’s being drafted so ridiculously high compared to Jackson. Personally, if this is going to be a timeshare(while Gordon sits), like they say, I’d rather run with Jackson for his upside on my roster over Ekeler. Ekeler 4th round lmao. 

I also had ekeler and watched those games and clearly people either didn't watch them or are going by what "experts" are saying.....

If it's a 50/50 I'll take Jackson later for the value

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bugs bunny said:

The crazy talk of people jumping on Ekeler in 4th round. I don’t get it. It’s like people think dudes going to put up RB2 numbers or something while Melvin sits.  Have these people looked at the game logs from last year when Gordon sat out those 4 games?  I had Ekeler and Jackson last year in full point PPR (also had Gordon) and Ekeler ended up as nothing more than a flex when Gordon missed those 4 games. Ekeler actually performed better in games Gordon played. In fact the first game Melvin sat and Ekeler started he fell flat on his face. 2nd game Jackson was the one who shined. Jackson also shined in the 4th game Melvin sat. I just don’t see why everyone around here is so convinced Ekeler is the one and why he’s being drafted so ridiculously high compared to Jackson. Personally, if this is going to be a timeshare(while Gordon sits), like they say, I’d rather run with Jackson for his upside on my roster over Ekeler. Ekeler 4th round lmao. 

Great post & on the money, couldn't have said it better myself. Although the sample size was small , I agree Ekeler was horrible when Gordon was out those few games. He's the true definition of a change of pace back, as evident from last years performances. Full ppr is where I would target him if at all.

57 minutes ago, GOAT-dell Beckham said:

Gimmie a 50/50 split and goal line work. Justin Jackson has a clear path to success granted the Chargers offense can continue to produce as it has

Definitely , for this offense the GL carries are crucial... just ask Melvin Gordon . Justin is a better runner in between the tackles, so it only makes sense to give him the early down & goal line work. 

49 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

I also had ekeler and watched those games and clearly people either didn't watch them or are going by what "experts" are saying.....

If it's a 50/50 I'll take Jackson later for the value

Same here , he was quite awful in those games he started. JJ might start slow this season, but I believe he will garner more touches as weeks go by.

Edited by RunCMC
  • Like 2

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/running-back-rb-redzone-rush-attempts

There were 11 games in which Ekeler and Jackson both suited up.

There were 8 games in which both received a red zone carry.

Of those games, Ekeler had more carries in 7 games. They had the same numbers of carries in 1 game.

I have no idea where this narrative came from that 6'0" 198 lb. Justin Jackson is a shoo-in for goal line carries, but it makes absolutely 0 sense.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Of those games, Ekeler had more carries in 7 games. They had the same numbers of carries in 1 game.

I have no idea where this narrative came from that 6'0" 198 lb. Justin Jackson is a shoo-in for goal line carries, but it makes absolutely 0 sense.

You goo poo poo on someone else's parade.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, miasma16 said:

That little boy Ekeler is not holding up if he gets the volume you desperately need. And I’ll be waiting there with Justin Jackson on my bench to get all the LAC carries.

10 hours ago, Bugs bunny said:

Absolutely agree with this.  I also owned the whole Gordon/Ekeler/Jackson trio in both my leagues last year and I feel like Jackson gained a lot of steam down the stretch.

I think the only certain thing here is that Ekeler is not a full time RB.  He will NEVER consistently carry the ball for 15-20 times a game or something.  So in my eyes the ceiling for him is about 50-60% of the work.  I just don't think he's built to be more than that.

Yes, Jackson will start out with the lesser half of the split.  But, I think Jackson is capable of being more than that.  In watching him last year, I think he's more capable of stepping into Gordon's role and leaving Ekeler in "Ekeler's role" as the COP back.  I just thought Jackson was pretty good.  He doesn't blow you away or anything but he was solid running between the tackles, showed some ability to make some moves and showed good hands catching out of the backfield.

No doubt in my mind that this will start off as a 50/50 backfield and it could swing a little bit in either guy's direction game to game depending on how the guys are performing and on game flow.  If the Chargers fall behind, maybe we see a little more Ekeler.  If they're ahead, maybe a little more Jackson.

All the more reason though to not pay the price for Ekeler early and to just nab Jackson late in the draft.

• Like 4

is Newspme still on the roster?

'cause the game MGIII and Ek both missed was a Thursday night against the Chiefs, in magick foosball semifinals ..

i started JJ, but it was Newsome who impressed ... JJ salvaged an extremely "MEH" night with a late TD, otherwise he was underwhelming, and ceded much work (virtually all the passing game) to Newsome. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

20 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

is Newspme still on the roster?

'cause the game MGIII and Ek both missed was a Thursday night against the Chiefs, in magick foosball semifinals ..

i started JJ, but it was Newsome who impressed ... JJ salvaged an extremely "MEH" night with a late TD, otherwise he was underwhelming, and ceded much work (virtually all the passing game) to Newsome. 

Detrez Newsome was released for....

Troymaine Pope...

What is all this 4th round nonsense for Eckler going on in this thread?

I got him in the 7th round (7.03) Sunday in my full point 12-man ppr draft.

Edit:  In my other ppr draft he went 7.05 overall.  

Edited by theSPANKER

Just finished a competitive 0.5 PPR draft. Ekeler went 7.02 and I took Jackson at 11.10.

If that's the typical spread on draft capital you take this guy all day in what is obviously going to be near a split. 

• Like 1

Every draft/league make-up is different.

In my 14 team PPR last night, Ekeler went 3-11...I happily grabbed JJ at the 9-5 spot

In my 16 team PPR from the weekend, Ekeler went 4-6...JJ 9-5 also

• Like 1

In PPR I'm starting him on flex over Murray, Desean Hamilton, MArquise Goodwin and Albert Wilson

• Like 1

With the Melvin Gordon Situation going down in flames, and Eckler being a perfect complementary back but not starter material.

How can anyone sleep on this Guy?    Funny thing, I just picked him up off waivers and he went right into my starting line-up.    

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sivaro said:

With the Melvin Gordon Situation going down in flames, and Eckler being a perfect complementary back but not starter material.

How can anyone sleep on this Guy?    Funny thing, I just picked him up off waivers and he went right into my starting line-up.    

he's not as "sexy" as Hanibal Ekeler, ya know? 

folks seem to forget that Ek flopped when made feature back - i should know, he was in my lineup for that Londin debacle - ooooofffaahhh! 🇬🇧

he (Ek) is very dynamic in the complementary role, no question - soooo, wif MGIII on ice, Ek can complement JJ. 

should see 12-15 totes per game, and the majority of gl.

IN. 

• Like 2

ALRIGHT GUYS, you convinced me.

Just picked up JJ off the WW in my 10-teamer. 

Dropped Doyle, my TE2, and will ride with Engram while snatching up JJ.

If JJ has a big week1, he would've been crazy expensive next week, and if Gordon somehow signs in the next few days, I bet Doyle will be waiting for me to come back around.

All aboard, thanks for the insight guys (esp. 2018 Charger backfield owners).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

If JJ has a big week1, he would've been crazy expensive next week, and if Gordon somehow signs in the next few days, I bet Doyle will be waiting for me to come back around.

Great decision.  Much more upside 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

Good move!

I'm really kinda surprised at how little talk there's been about Jackson and how neglected he's been in drafts.  

I went back through Ekeler's game logs and he's never topped 15 carries in a game and has only had 10 or more carries 6 times.  And in the one game he got 15 carries when Gordon was out last year, he got banged up and missed the next 2 games.

Don't get me wrong...I think Ekeler is pretty good.  And that's why he's getting drafted way ahead of Jackson.  But this situation has been treated like Ekeler is the main starter and Jackson is just a backup who will barely see the field.  I think it'll be much closer to 50/50 than most are thinking.

• Like 1

Whatever you think of the usage and split ... Ekeler has been a bit of a band-aid and you've got a guy here that's a tweak away from starting. Should be owned all over the place until the Gordon situation is resolved one way or another.