throwaway9614

Austin Ekeler 2019 Outlook

Geesh. Reading this thread you'd think that Eckler was going to become completely worthless once Gordon comes back. In PPR leagues I still see him as a high end #2 RB which means you're still getting more value than where you drafted him, so what's the problem? And there really was never a sell high window with Eckler. Unless you're playing in a league with chuckleheads everyone knew that Gordon would come back and vulture carries at some point. 

19 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

I guess I misunderstand the situation. I get that he can report with or without a contract, I just assumed that the whole point of the holdout was to secure a contract before returning. 

Nope. The Chargers have no intention of resigning him. He's only reporting because he has to in order to maintain his FA status for next season. And I see the where the person was coming from who said they would probably run him into the ground, but they also want to win games. That's why I still see Eckler playing a major role in the offense. He can do things that Gordon can't do. 

7 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Geesh. Reading this thread you'd think that Eckler was going to become completely worthless once Gordon comes back. In PPR leagues I still see him as a high end #2 RB which means you're still getting more value than where you drafted him, so what's the problem? And there really was never a sell high window with Eckler. Unless you're playing in a league with chuckleheads everyone knew that Gordon would come back and vulture carries at some point. 

What do you mean never a sell high window? Everyone was under the impression MG3 wasnt returning till week 10. Ekeler was valued like a RB1 for the season up until this news broke today.His trade value went down about 50% from this news.

yeah week 10 was what we were hoping for...we will see what happens...guna ride this train to the wheels fall off

Just now, buzzkilloton said:

What do you mean never a sell high window? Everyone was under the impression MG3 wasnt returning till week 10. Ekeler was valued like a RB1 for the season up until this news broke today.His trade value went down about 50% from this news.

I guess?  It seems like in the leagues I play in everyone's take was, "Gordon will be back at some nebulous point and he's a Chris Thompson type for the playoffs."

Everyone's league is different though.  Maybe some folks were looking at him like a James Conner/Kamara type.  They weren't playing in my leagues though.

11 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

A week ago when people were thinking he wouldn't come back until end of November was absolutely looking like a sell high window.

One of the top producing RBs in the league through week 2, Gordon holdout seeminginly endless, and potential if Gordon came back later and not playing until after the bye that they might just roll with Ekeler the entire time.

It's absolutely a different story now than it was before. There was a sell high window because his value will never be worth what it was a week ago. You weren't getting Julio for him but you absolutely could have gotten more than now.

High end RB2 is like top 10/12-15/16 back. You think he's putting that up when Gordon is back 100%? No way. High end flex maybe. He's not worthless but high end RB2 I just don't see it.

• Thanks 2

I asked in a previous post but how much do you all put stock in what Schefter reports? I don't really follow him all that much. Is he reliable in situations like this? Is this just smoke?

17 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

I asked in a previous post but how much do you all put stock in what Schefter reports? I don't really follow him all that much. Is he reliable in situations like this? Is this just smoke?

Where there's smoke there's fire. 

Just now, RunCMC said:

Where there's smoke there's fire. 

Oh damn I must have used the wrong word there then. I was more thinking more along the lines of blow smoke up someone's...

1 minute ago, WaiverLooter said:

Oh damn I must have used the wrong word there then. I was more thinking more along the lines of blow smoke up someone's...

No your fine brother , I understood the point you were trying to make . Just teasing , but in all seriousness Schefter & Rapoport have broke news on this. Chances of both being wrong is doubtful .  

1 minute ago, RunCMC said:

No your fine brother , I understood the point you were trying to make . Just teasing , but in all seriousness Schefter & Rapoport have broke news on this. Chances of both being wrong is doubtful .  

I mean, you're more than likely right, but from the tone of Schefter's article I feel like it should be noted this is less "news" and more "rumor" at this point.  Could change at any minute though.

37 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I guess?  It seems like in the leagues I play in everyone's take was, "Gordon will be back at some nebulous point and he's a Chris Thompson type for the playoffs."

Everyone's league is different though.  Maybe some folks were looking at him like a James Conner/Kamara type.  They weren't playing in my leagues though.

Ekeler in PPR was ranked 25th overall in the top 250 forward on FBG(behind a paywall) and 30th overall ROS on fantasy pros. If MG3 is back next week hes going to drop into the 60s. So clearly hes going to lose a crap ton of value u could of sold him for just yesterday. Maybe your leaguemates didnt value Ekeler for the RB1 that he was going to be for the 10 weeks of the season but sharp players know what he was worth.

Its like if you have Nick Chubb today u know Hunt is going to lower his value week 10 when he comes back. If Suddenly Hunt appeared next week u just missed a chance to sell Chubb high. 

Edited by buzzkilloton

4 minutes ago, buzzkilloton said:

Ekeler was ranked 25th overall in the top 250 forward on FBG(behind a paywall) and 30th overall on fantasy pros. If MG3 is back next week hes going to drop into the 60s. So clearly hes going to lose a crap ton of value u could of sold him for just yesterday. Maybe your leaguemates didnt value Ekeler for the RB1 that he was going to be for the 10 weeks of the season but sharp players know what he was worth.

I mean, if he can lose that much value by Gordon coming back, everyone knew Gordon was coming back at some point prior to the fantasy playoffs, and I play with people who want to win in the playoffs, I can't say I blame them for not just taking a gander at the weekly rankings and giving away someone who would likely have more value during that time period.  Though I would have liked them to and tried to do so.

I don't think the Chubb/Hunt scenario is really comparable personally.  Chubb is the "Gordon" in this scenario in my mind to Hunt's "Eckler."

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Thanks 1

I believe Ekeler will remain a RB1 for the entire season. The Chargers will make MGIIII the change of pace back IMO. If this makes sense to you, you are probably reaching. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

I believe Ekeler will remain a RB1 for the entire season. The Chargers will make MGIIII the change of pace back IMO. If this makes sense to you, you are probably reaching. 

I think they will keep Ekeler as the starter, Jackson as the change of pace

Gordon will play Tight End, he will eat into Keenan Allen's targets so Allen owners should probably look to sell

Edited by Novaray
  • Haha 3

Im definitely in the minority, Gordon's return does not phase me in the slightest considering Ekeler. At the very worst I end up with a back end RB2 that has the trust of the coaching staff, and is playing behind a guy that hasn't been through training camp, is in the middle of a contract dispute with steadfast management/ownership, has a history of being injured and hasn't taken a hit in more than 9 months. 

• Haha 2

Could it turn into a Ingram/Kamara situation? I'm considering buying as low as possible while the panic ensues in a 2 for 1 (Chubb). I just get the feeling this can turn into a 1a/1b situation given his play and the schedule is not bad until the playoffs. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

Im definitely in the minority, Gordon's return does not phase me in the slightest considering Ekeler. At the very worst I end up with a back end RB2 that has the trust of the coaching staff, and is playing behind a guy that hasn't been through training camp, is in the middle of a contract dispute with steadfast management/ownership, has a history of being injured and hasn't taken a hit in more than 9 months. 

Wish my faith was as strong as yours. But I've been kicked out of bible camp 5 times now 

7 minutes ago, MKO3090 said:

Could it turn into a Ingram/Kamara situation? I'm considering buying as low as possible while the panic ensues in a 2 for 1 (Chubb). I just get the feeling this can turn into a 1a/1b situation given his play and the schedule is not bad until the playoffs. 

I don't think Eckler's as good as Kamara, but I certainly think it's possible he's more valuable with Gordon than he was last year.  He's played great in his absence, Gordon's missed a few months of practices, etc.  They're still missing Henry in goal line situations.  I wouldn't want to rely on him as a core part of your team, but I think he compares favorably to other passing down backs like White, Thompson etc ROS even with MGIII in the fold.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I had the same experience. Only a noob or rookie wouldn't think Eckler's days were limited. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MKO3090 said:

I wouldn't go as far to say 1a/1b, but definitely he provides solid utility for any FF team and I wouldn't even bat an eye starting him over an underperforming RB. He's better as a change of pace back whom you manufacture touches for and get him in space. He's very efficient even with little volume. He got over 900 total yards and 6 td in 14 games last year and the games where he had to step up for Gordon he didn't even do that well. I don't see why he can't replicate those numbers again, especially if the Chargers plan on winning. He's basically a receiver playing running back. The less one dimensional the offense, the better your team will fare against opposing defenses. If you can find an owner willing to dump him for nothing I don't see the harm in trying to get him on the cheap. 

Edited by Wyzzil

I wish we can get just more game against Miami with Ekeler as the bellcow, that game has potential for 20+ points for owners if all goes well.