throwaway9614

Austin Ekeler 2019 Outlook

Also from a business perspective it just doesn’t make sense to let Gordon just walk if they can get something of value for him now.

3 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

Also from a business perspective it just doesn’t make sense to let Gordon just walk if they can get something of value for him now.

They can tag him next year. He can't walk unless they let him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RunCMC said:

Wish my faith was as strong as yours. But I've been kicked out of bible camp 5 times now 

I don't see how anything I said is not objectively true.

At worst Ekeler becomes what he was drafted to be, and everything up to that point has been gravy. 

2 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

I could be wrong on this but I believe it’s around 14 mil next year. Which is still more than they want to pay.

2 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

I could be wrong on this but I believe it’s around 14 mil next year. Which is still more than they want to pay.

It's still an option they have. Also it would be a one year deal so no long term risk.  I think they are more concerned with a long term Gurley contract vs. a one year pay out.  Who knows... guess we'll see how it plays out.

Edited by ColoWrex

15 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

A lot can change between now and then. Especially with teams that are in playoff contention. Also next year they don’t get a guarantee that they can get him.

It's Melvin Gordon, a great back yes .. but not an absolute game changer lol . If they were so worried about guaranteeing to get him , they would have done so by now. But yes I do

agree that things can change. Only with a playoff caliber team tho , that relies heavily on their running game or Star running back. If an injury behalf's on them , or they think MG3 

can move the needle for them offensively. A trade is possible ... I'm just not seeing this scenario play out realistically 

And now this

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27702462/source-chargers-gordon-plans-report-thurs

The Chargers aren't allowing him to simply walk in and be "the man." There are a lot of wrinkles to this that have yet to be ironed out. I'm not saying that in a "Ekeler is gonna be the rb1 and they'll tell Gordon to get f'ed" just saying this isn't going to be handed to him. A two week roster exemption, eased back in after that and we could be looking at another month of Ekeler putting up rb1 numbers.

Edited by Mr.STD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

And now this

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27702462/source-chargers-gordon-plans-report-thurs

The Chargers aren't allowing him to simply walk in and be "the man." There are a lot of wrinkles to this that have yet to be ironed out. 

Two week roster exemption would be this week and next.  

Edited by ColoWrex
Sorry got confused what thread I was in

1 minute ago, ColoWrex said:

Two week roster exemption would be this week and next.  

So what? It's 2 games, same thing.

and that's if he shows up tomorrow. Until he shows up he hasn't shown up. I mean, it looks likely, but it hasn't happened yet.

I'm treating it as an injury, but one I knew about beforehand, or something like that. Use Eck up this week, keep him on the bench until the situation clears up, or maybe use him Week 5 too since, well, who knows. 

Fantasy's fun, isn't it? 

karen-meangirls.jpg.c2ece20006b5f50a216b2ec2709c2a00.jpg

Smells like bad blood if this happens. Like I said lots of wrinkles still need to be ironed out before the Gordon owners start celebrating.

Edited by StevenSC400

It was fun for a while. Gordon will take over the backfield on his first good series. Might take him a game or two to warm up, though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

It was fun for a while. Gordon will take over the backfield on his first good series. Might take him a game or two to warm up, though.

Um this isn't a slam dunk in favor of MG now.  Chargers want their money in fines (about 2.5 million) half of his paycheck.

MG could report then decide (because ownership screwed him over) not to put forth the effort due to poor attitude or come up with a mysterious injury.  

This saga is far from being resolved.  

5 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Um this isn't a slam dunk in favor of MG now.  Chargers want their money in fines (about 2.5 million) half of his paycheck.

MG could report then decide (because ownership screwed him over) not to put forth the effort due to poor attitude or come up with a mysterious injury.  

Yeah this is smelling like bad blood. The chargers don't play around looks like.

1 hour ago, ColoWrex said:

He isn't a FA. He is under contract through next season as far as I'm aware. They picked up his 5th year option.

1 minute ago, StevenSC400 said:

Yeah this is smelling like bad blood. The chargers don't play around looks like.

Chargers probably don't want a precedent of rewarding players who don't honor their contracts.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, devaster said:

He isn't a FA. He is under contract through next season as far as I'm aware. They picked up his 5th year option.

2019 season is his 5th year.

13 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Why would he come back earlier than expected if this was his attitude?

20 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

I think the more likely scenario is that he's coming back to play asap.

1 hour ago, StevenSC400 said:

Smells like bad blood if this happens. Like I said lots of wrinkles still need to be ironed out before the Gordon owners start celebrating.

Whatever it takes to rationalize this reality my man

I think he came back because he was hoping that Ekeler would fall flat on his face and the Chargers would come begging at his doorstep. When he realized that wasn't happening, he lost any leverage and decided he'd play out as much of this year as he could to show off his talents for his next contract

7 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Whatever it takes to rationalize this reality my man

That is reality lol. If they apply for a roster exemption they are basically saying we don't need you as bad as you think we need you and were going to fine you for 2 more weeks. And pay us our money that you already owe us. Thanks.

Edited by StevenSC400

Just now, StevenSC400 said:

That is reality lol. If they apply for a roster exemption they are basically saying we don't need you as bad as you think we need you and were going to fine you for 2 more weeks. And pay us our money that you already owe use. Thanks.

Don't think you fully realize how valuable a roster spot is for an NFL team. They would use the exemption to make sure Gordon is up to speed/game shape. If they don't plan on playing him right away, why would they not use that roster spot to hold someone who can contribute for another week?

That is IF they even use the exemption come tomorrow.