throwaway9614

Austin Ekeler 2019 Outlook

18 minutes ago, frog34 said:

People forget that Ekeler is a FA in 2020 as well. Chargers won't be able to put a low tender on him because many teams would be interested and match. Granted, much easier to tie Ekeler long-term than Gordon. But Ekeler isn't necessarily a long-term investment either.

It will be a lot cheaper for the Chargers to keep Ekeler than Gordon. If they place a 1st or 2nd round RFA tag on him I doubt anyone attempts to make an offer.

5 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Houston is where RBs go to die. 

Not for Carlos Hyde.

Only for duke truthers

ekeler could beast it this weekend against miami

and gordon could still be traded.  they dont need gordon

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

People are definitely drunk off of Ekelers success so far this season lol 

Have fun with your dart throw flex ROS

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ball So Hard said:

If Gordon is essentially a 12 game rental, and Ekeler is the future, why wouldn't the Chargers run Gordon into the ground this season as they don't care about his future, and limit Ekelers touches to keep him healthier for the long run?

Because Gordon is a sunk cost. The team isn't going to risk increasing future costs by committing to a sunk cost. 

I'm not saying Gordon is like an Antonio Brown, or think negatively of him because he was trying to get paid what he felt he was worth. However, that doesn't mean his actions don't have consequences; the Chargers have just as much of a right to protect their future and current product as Gordon does. The risk of MG holding out the way he did was that he forces the team to move on and plan their future knowing he is not going to be part of their team. 

Sure, MG could show up and do/say all the right things. But I think the only way the team commits to him as heavily as before is if a contract extension is worked out. That goes against what the Chargers have said and done to this point, but it's still possible... Unlikely to happen, but possible. This situation has eroded trust between MG and the Chargers, and ownership/management will definitely test his resolve to see if he's actually there to play or if he's only there to become a FA next season. 

With a contract extension MG will get his previous workload, without that commitment from the team I think we see MG get half the touches of his previous workload. People can make dumb jokes, but they are completely ignoring the details in this situation. This isn't like Zeke coming back because the contract situation is unresolved. 

Why would MG put his future on the line without an extension?

Why would the Chargers commit to a player that's only there so they can leave?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

Because Gordon is a sunk cost. The team isn't going to risk increasing future costs by committing to a sunk cost. 

I'm not saying Gordon is like an Antonio Brown, or think negatively of him because he was trying to get paid what he felt he was worth. However, that doesn't mean his actions don't have consequences; the Chargers have just as much of a right to protect their future and current product as Gordon does. The risk of MG holding out the way he did was that he forces the team to move on and plan their future knowing he is not going to be part of their team. 

Sure, MG could show up and do/say all the right things. But I think the only way the team commits to him as heavily as before is if a contract extension is worked out. That goes against what the Chargers have said and done to this point, but it's still possible... Unlikely to happen, but possible. This situation has eroded trust between MG and the Chargers, and ownership/management will definitely test his resolve to see if he's actually there to play or if he's only there to become a FA next season. 

With a contract extension MG will get his previous workload, without that commitment from the team I think we see MG get half the touches of his previous workload. People can make dumb jokes, but they are completely ignoring the details in this situation. This isn't like Zeke coming back because the contract situation is unresolved. 

Why would MG put his future on the line without an extension?

Why would the Chargers commit to a player that's only there so they can leave?

Because the Chargers are 1-2, and they want to win football games? Best way to win football games is to play your best players lol

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jccouger said:

People are definitely drunk off of Ekelers success so far this season lol 

Have fun with your dart throw flex ROS

A guy who was universally drafted in the top 3 and the number one draft pick overall in many drafts is on the shelf for two months.

A guy who was hailed as the best receiver of his generation less than a year ago is now out of football.

We're all throwing darts my friend.  Fake football is like that.

Edited by JE7HorseGod
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

A guy who was universally drafted in the top 3 and the number one draft pick overall in many drafts is on the shelf for two months.

A guy who was hailed as the best receiver of his generation less than a year ago is now out of football.

True.

Some people choose to throw their darts at the dart board, some people choose to wear a blind fold and spin around 20 times before throwing in the complete opposite direction.

16 minutes ago, jccouger said:

Because the Chargers are 1-2, and they want to win football games? Best way to win football games is to play your best players lol

Ekeler is arguably the better player right now 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Right because we all saw the Barkley injury and AB sexual assualt charges coming, who could've guess Gordon was going to come back this season?

Edited by Novaray

Just now, jccouger said:

True.

Some people choose to throw their darts at the dart board, some people choose to wear a blind fold and spin around 20 times before throwing in the complete opposite direction.

I've had a pretty solid bullseye the past three weeks out of my 8th rounder.  We'll see what happens here today and Sunday against Miami.

3 minutes ago, jccouger said:

True.

So now throwing darts is a good thing? 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, pfresh said:

ekeler could beast it this weekend against miami

and gordon could still be traded.  they dont need gordon

Gordon isn't getting traded.  If he is on the team and active (playing, not playing, RBBC, whatever) and walks away in free agency, Chargers will get a third round compensatory pick.  So any team that wants to trade for him will have to offer more than that, and pay the big contract he wants.  It's not happening.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jccouger said:

I think there are too many people that only look at stat lines and fantasy points to indicate what a team will/should do.  Need to separate real life from stat lines. MG is the better all around back and if he can hold onto the ball and not cost them games like Ekeler, he's going to get the rock. MG wants a contract, and Chargers don't want to give it to him. They will run him as much as possible to get the most out of his last year. 

• Like 1

MG owners who think he's going to slide right in and be a bell cow RB in a couple weeks are going to be sorely mistaken.

4 minutes ago, Novaray said:

Right because we all saw the Barkley injury and AB sexual assualt charges coming, who could've guess Gordon was going to come back this season?

Gordon isn't playing football yet.

Although the current feel is that he will be back by week 5 or 6, that could easily change once Spanos docks his pay for missed games, as we've seen with Brown.  People have pride.  Gordon could get injured due to a lack of playing football for two months less than others did, he hasn't exactly been Cal Ripken when getting camps in.

This is as much speculation on my part as it would be handcuffing Malcom Brown to Todd Gurley because you think his shaky knee is going to make Brown an RB1, or picking up Tyrell Williams or Phillip Dorsett off the waiver wire when Brown was still on Oakland or NE.  Throwing darts.  Let's just see how it shakes out before celebrating victory or bemoaning defeat either way shall we?

1 hour ago, sSektor said:

What are these mental gymnastics 😂

3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Let's just see how it shakes out before celebrating victory or bemoaning defeat either way shall we?

But... This is RW isn't it? Some wouldn't be satisfied until they win an interwebz tit for tat, word for word warfare...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Szer0 said:

But... This is RW isn't it? Some wouldn't be satisfied until they win an interwebz tit for tat, word for word warfare...

I'm trending well in my .5 point per argument won on message board league.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jccouger said:

And what of the situation tells us MG's highest priority is to help the Chargers win football games rather than simply being there to meet the requirements to become a FA next year. He held out to eliminate the possibility of injury which would prevent him from making more money on his next contract. What has changed with that? Do you think he will be running as violently while making $3million this year when he refused to do it for $5million?

1 hour ago, Mr.STD said:

Sure, MG could show up and do/say all the right things. But I think the only way the team commits to him as heavily as before is if a contract extension is worked out.

I agree. MG hasn't done an about-face. He still wants the extension. The team's interests would obviously for him to play well and help them succeed, but for him to do so comes with the risk that he gets seriously hurt.

Him showing up is a formality short of an extension. I'd only be keeping MG if it were a dynasty league. If it's redraft, I am sending him to someone who believes he'll get traded, or mistakenly thinks he's going to play at an RB1 level for the Chargers. The only risks are if a contract is worked out or he's traded. I think it's more likely that he's done in LA.

18 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

And what of the situation tells us MG's highest priority is to help the Chargers win football games rather than simply being there to meet the requirements to become a FA next year. He held out to eliminate the possibility of injury which would prevent him from making more money on his next contract. What has changed with that? Do you think he will be running as violently while making $3million this year when he refused to do it for $5million?

Because his production has a direct correlation with how much he will get in his next contract with a new team. 

If he doesn't produce, why would a team want to pay for him? 

Edited by jccouger

This is way too much anger for a 7th rounder being reduced to a FLEX play after putting up 4 weeks of practically free RB1 production. Did you guys not think Melvin was coming back at some point when you drafted Ekeler?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sSektor said:

This is way too much anger for a 7th rounder being reduced to a FLEX play after putting up 4 weeks of practically free RB1 production. Did you guys not think Melvin was coming back at some point when you drafted Ekeler?

Was hoping he would come back mid to late season.. not this early!

1 minute ago, Semitar said:

I agree. MG hasn't done an about-face. He still wants the extension. The team's interests would obviously for him to play well and help them succeed, but for him to do so comes with the risk that he gets seriously hurt.

Him showing up is a formality short of an extension. I'd only be keeping MG if it were a dynasty league. If it's redraft, I am sending him to someone who believes he'll get traded, or mistakenly thinks he's going to play at an RB1 level for the Chargers. The only risks are if a contract is worked out or he's traded. I think it's more likely that he's done in LA.

Bingo.   I own no stock in either player, but the writing is on the wall.   There’s almost no scenario that sees MG back in LA.  

This is a formality to reach free agency-  and a huge risk of minor (phantom) injury.    It’s the new playbook for disgruntled stars wanting out.