throwaway9614

Austin Ekeler 2019 Outlook

With Justin Jackson in a walking boot, I wouldn't be surprised to see MG3 suit up for the game. They need a win.  Yes it's the Dolphins, but they absolutely need to win.  Ek has 12/17/9 carries respectively. I don't think they trust him with the full load and need another back in there.  I'd temper expectations until there is clarity from the coaching staff.

Just now, SGagne said:

With Justin Jackson in a walking boot, I wouldn't be surprised to see MG3 suit up for the game. They need a win.  Yes it's the Dolphins, but they absolutely need to win.  Ek has 12/17/9 carries respectively. I don't think they trust him with the full load and need another back in there.  I'd temper expectations until there is clarity from the coaching staff.

Lynn reiterated "doubtful" today and expressed faith in Pope and Newsome.

I doubt Ekeler gets 25 carries, but it doesn't sound like MGIII is suiting up after two days of work.  Crazier things have happened though, I'll give you that.

Jackson ruled out. I assume we'll see some Newsome and Pope sprinkled in, but RB1 Ekeler could very well be going out with a bang.

Los Angeles Chargers‏Verified account @Chargers

FollowFollow @Chargers

More

#LACvsMIA Game Status: OUT Virgil Green Hunter Henry Mike Williams Justin Jackson Michael Badgley DOUBTFUL Travis Benjamin QUESTIONABLE Casey Hayward Drue Tranquill.

wow

There is no one besides Keenan Allen and Austin Ekeler to make plays this Sunday.

Best we can hope for is he has another big game and the Chargers realise that they have to keep this guy involved in the offence. Gordon or no Gordon.

5 hours ago, IslandBoy said:

Best we can hope for is he has another big game and the Chargers realise that they have to keep this guy involved in the offence. Gordon or no Gordon.

Lynn already came out and said both Ekeler and Jackson will still have a "major role" going forward. Dont forget that Ekeler put up 1,000 yards from scrimmage last year and 168 fantasy points, he was RB25. I wouldn't be surprised to see close to a 50-50 split in workload between Gordon and Ekeler and Ekeler will be in on passing plays for sure. Its even happening with Zeke, who has been a bell cow the past 3 years. They are using Pollard to rest Zeke 2-3 drives a game, I can see them doing something similar with Gordon and Ekeler. The days of the bell cow RB who sees 90% of the touches are pretty much over. Its turned into a RBBC league with teams not wanting to run their lead RB into the ground and using 2-3 backs. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/anthony-lynn-confirms-melvin-gordon-will-be-starter-says-austin-ekeler-and-justin-jackson-will-have-major-role/

Edited by Dexter75

1 hour ago, Dexter75 said:

Lynn already came out and said both Ekeler and Jackson will still have a "major role" going forward. Dont forget that Ekeler put up 1,000 yards from scrimmage last year and 168 fantasy points, he was RB25. I wouldn't be surprised to see close to a 50-50 split in workload between Gordon and Ekeler and Ekeler will be in on passing plays for sure. Its even happening with Zeke, who has been a bell cow the past 3 years. They are using Pollard to rest Zeke 2-3 drives a game, I can see them doing something similar with Gordon and Ekeler. The days of the bell cow RB who sees 90% of the touches are pretty much over. Its turned into a RBBC league with teams not wanting to run their lead RB into the ground and using 2-3 backs. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/anthony-lynn-confirms-melvin-gordon-will-be-starter-says-austin-ekeler-and-justin-jackson-will-have-major-role/

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, IslandBoy said:

Ekeler was flexable in PPR leagues last year. That shouldn't change with Gordon's return. Just not the weekly RB1-2 upside as the volume will be lessened.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IslandBoy said:

I’m sure there minds are made up as they have already said they were and anything done against Miami defense is gonna be taken with a grain of salt.

lol you're on drugs if you think Eckler Gordon is a 50.50 split....

Eckler is a borderline Flex play from here on out. Some weeks he'll get 15 points, and some days he'll get 6 points....basically like SOny Michel or burkhead...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TennisDude said:

I own Ekeler and I’m bracing for 25% or less usage after this week. He might have some value but I won’t be starting unless desperate. 

Thats awfully silly.   Even a fully game ready MG3 won’t get 75%+ of touches.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Thats awfully silly.   Even a fully game ready MG3 won’t get 75%+ of touches.   

Last year MG3 got 64% of the touches, expect the same after this week vs Miami. Ekeler will just go back to his role from last year, which had him finish as RB #25 in ppr.

Edited by Bringthesonicsback
Oops, meant to respond to the other guy.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bringthesonicsback said:

Last year MG3 got 64% of the touches, expect the same after this week vs Miami. Ekeler will just go back to his role from last year, which had him finish as RB #25 in ppr.

Yeah that seems like the upper limit of what to expect from Gordon in the first half of the season.   They broke him under that load.   No way he’s getting even more

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Yeah that seems like the upper limit of what to expect from Gordon in the first half of the season.   They broke him under that load.   No way he’s getting even more

Yup, completely agree

• Like 1

As an Ekeler owner, I'm definitely ratcheting down expectations. I think he's a solid flex with upside. 

Don't see any reason why he can't duplicate last year's performance, but maybe there are decent odds that Ekeler gets a little more juice because a) he's proved to the coaching staff that he can produce in a bell cow role, b) He should be rewarded for such production, and possibly c) the LAC ownership is still annoyed with MG.

And it seems like MG gets dinged every year as well. If they put him on the field tmrw and he gets injured I will not be surprised.

7 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

As an Ekeler owner, I'm definitely ratcheting down expectations. I think he's a solid flex with upside. 

Don't see any reason why he can't duplicate last year's performance, but maybe there are decent odds that Ekeler gets a little more juice because a) he's proved to the coaching staff that he can produce in a bell cow role, b) He should be rewarded for such production, and possibly c) the LAC ownership is still annoyed with MG.

And it seems like MG gets dinged every year as well. If they put him on the field tmrw and he gets injured I will not be surprised.

Good list-   Let’s add:   D) Gordon’s endgame.   He’s saying the right things now but his goal is to get to UFA healthy I presume.

Ekeler is a high floor high ceiling flex weekly.  With a good chance of more should anything get sideways with Gordon.  Not time to panic

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Good list-   Let’s add:   D) Gordon’s endgame.   He’s saying the right things now but his goal is to get to UFA healthy I presume.

Ekeler is a high floor high ceiling flex weekly.  With a good chance of more should anything get sideways with Gordon.  Not time to panic

For sure.  Even he's last December's Ekeler that's a pretty decent play.

What are these posts, lol. Why does this keep having to get repeated?

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/snap-counts/rb.php?year=2018&show=perc

This is a snap count percentage of games in which the guys actually played. Gordon was 8th at 69%, Ekeler had 41%. Ekeler was usually in the 30s when Gordon was healthy. And they were all banged up at the end of the year, so it's hard to draw any conclusions from that.

Gordon won't take his usual snap allotment immediately. This we all know.

With how well Ekeler and Jackson have shown, you have to assume that Gordon's snap share will come down a bit anyway. I think the conservative prediction for Ekeler's value is that Gordon gets about 60% of the snaps. Ekeler and Jackson have been 70/30 this year; when Jackson comes back, let's assume that stays roughly the same. I expect the snap percentage to be somewhere in the range of 60/25/15, and Ekeler has maybe opened up some snaps for himself as a slot receiver.

Here's the important part. Ekeler finished last season as RB27 in standard leagues (presumably much higher in PPR). Gordon finished as RB6, and should be an RB1 ROS even if his snaps drop down 10%. Ekeler will obviously remain a flex, especially with Jackson out a while. 

Yeah, weird, both players will have value. :blink: It's not hard to understand, I don't know how so many of you aren't getting this.

Edited by miasma16
  • Haha 1

MG3 is a feature back.  Ekeler is a complimentary piece playing above his abilities in the absence of the feature back.  He has shown his versatility so I'm sure the Bolts will try to be more creative in their playcalling - having both of them on the field a little more.   Having said that, within a few weeks Ekeler will be nothing more than a flex at best.   There was little chance of him carrying the load for an entire season and staying healthy while doing it regardless.

Edited by RockSexton

All these people predicting Gordon will be some bell cow while Ekeler, the current fantasy RB leader, will be some barely used bench fodder are funny. Look what’s happening in Dallas with Zeke and Pollard. The bell cow days are O-V-E-R. Zeke is more of a beast than Gordon, he’s been far more healthy in his career and he’s been a top 3 back every year, aside from the suspension year, but he still finished 9th. Even Zeke is having his role reduced so he’s not run into the ground. Lynn has already said Ekeler and Jackson will have a major role going forward. Gordon is the starter of course and will see the most work, but Ekeler and even Jackson will be involved. This will be a RBBC, just like pretty much every other team now employs, say hello to the new NFL. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 1