throwaway9614

Austin Ekeler 2019 Outlook

All of this speculation is fueled by wishful thinking from Ekeler owners. Gordon is the better talent, plain and simple. This will not be a timeshare. Gordon will be a top 5 RB and Ekeler will be a mediocre flex. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BGDDYKWL said:

All of this speculation is fueled by wishful thinking from Ekeler owners. Gordon is the better talent, plain and simple. This will not be a timeshare. Gordon will be a top 5 RB and Ekeler will be a mediocre flex. 

Gordon does get hurt though, like he did before the playoff game with the Pats last year that sank the Chargers. So Ekeler could still see a start again.

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Same can be said about Gordon owners. Gordon has never had a 4 game stretch in his career like Ekeler has.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Same can be said about Gordon owners. Gordon has never had a 4 game stretch in his career like Ekeler has.

I don’t own either, but what the hell are you talking about? Did you miss all of last season? Gordon basically did what eckler is doing now for most of the season, and that’s with eckler getting touches. Eck has had no completion for touches during this run.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Wait what!? Yes he has lol Even bigger actually. And I own Ekeler lol Gordon also smashes it between the tackles, keeping the lineman honest. Something Ekeker will try once a game. I love my Ekerler, but I have to be realistic. The Chargers don’t care about fantasy stats, they want to win it all. 

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Power-O said:

Not guna say ur wrong..but even though its not exactly the same see royce freeman and philip lindsay from last year..dude was announced starter...that meant s---

I stand with you. Melvin Gordon and Ekeler are clearly on the same level skill wise. Dare I say Ekeler has the slight skill advantage? Chargers are dumb for starting Gordon and I too don't believe a word the head coach is saying. It could be a trick to have the next few teams key in on Gordon while Ekeler gets the start from here on out. Makes COMPLETE sense to me. And I'm not saying that because I own Ekeler and missed out on Gordon. Who needs to move the pile when you can catch a ton of balls and bounce it outside? It is clear to me who the superior back is. The one on my roster! 

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

I stand with you. Melvin Gordon and Ekeler are clearly on the same level skill wise. Dare I say Ekeler has the slight skill advantage? Chargers are dumb for starting Gordon and I too don't believe a word the head coach is saying. It could be a trick to have the next few teams key in on Gordon while Ekeler gets the start from here on out. Makes COMPLETE sense to me. And I'm not saying that because I own Ekeler and missed out on Gordon. Who needs to move the pile when you can catch a ton of balls and bounce it outside? It is clear to me who the superior back is. The one on my roster! 

This doesn’t really make sense. Why would a team preparing for Gordon and getting Ekeler be a problem for them? It’s not like Ekeler does anything that Gordon can’t do. The only difference would be tackling a different number. 

Just now, y2jbones said:

This doesn’t really make sense. Why would a team preparing for Gordon and getting Ekeler be a problem for them? It’s not like Ekeler does anything that Gordon can’t do. The only difference would be tackling a different number. 

Duh, because Ekeler is CLEARLY the superior back and I want him to remain the starter. Isn't that how it's done in here? Make a wish, create a story, and watch other owners rally around it until it makes sense? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

yeah i duno about superior back...they both have things about them that work well...even though the stuff i have seen from MG makes me think he is a plodder, I have also seen some stuff of him catching the ball in space and making a guy miss...ekeler is probably the better guy in the receiving game but MG is prob the better guy for that brute 4th and 1 situation...so hopefully ekeler can be our chargers version of james white

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Duh, because Ekeler is CLEARLY the superior back and I want him to remain the starter. Isn't that how it's done in here? Make a wish, create a story, and watch other owners rally around it until it makes sense? 

My friend you made my day with the truth you've exposed on here.  🤣

• Like 2

Anybody that thinks Ekeler is not moving to a backup or pass catching roll has straight up lost their minds. You might as well start crying now. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Last time we saw Gordon in the final 2 games of 2018, he looked very mediocre coming off his grade 2 MCL sprain, which is no minor injury. He missed all of training camp, preseason and has had a few practices this year. All of this speculation of Gordon becoming some bell cow workhorse is fueled by wishful thinking from Gordon owners. We know two things for certain right now. 1) No one, including the Chargers coaching staff, know how Gordon will come back from his injury and all this time off because he's yet to see any real action and the last two games of the 2018 season, he looked like a shell of himself before the injury. 2) Ekeler is on a tear and on pace for nearly 2,000 yards from scrimmage, which is about 500 yards more than Gordon has ever done in a season. He has proven he can get the job done as a starter. Coaches love to ride the hot hand, you think Lynn is just going to keep one of the top 3 RBs in the league right now on the bench and giving him 3-4 touches a game? Highly doubtful. Gordon is definitely going to be the starter, but I have a felling we will be seeing quite a bit of Ekeler too, especially with these first few games back for Gordon. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Last time we saw Gordon in the final 2 games of 2018, he looked very mediocre coming off his grade 2 MCL sprain, which is no minor injury. He missed all of training camp, preseason and has had a few workouts. All of this speculation of Gordon becoming some bell cow workhorse is fueled by wishful thinking from Gordon owners. We know two things for certain right now. 1) No one, including the Chargers coaching staff, know how Gordon will come back from his injury and all this time off because he's yet to see any real action and the last two games of the 2018 season, he looked like a shell of himself before the injury. 2) Ekeler is on a tear and on pace for nearly 2,000 yards from scrimmage, which is about 500 yards more than Gordon has ever done in a season. He has proven he can get the job done as a starter. Coaches love to ride the hot hand, you think Lynn is just going to keep one of the top 3 RBs in the league right now on the bench and giving him 3-4 touches a game? Highly doubtful. Gordon is definitely going to be the starter, but I have a felling we will be seeing quite a bit of Ekeler too, especially with these first few games back for Gordon. 

The man makes some sense.  I think we all know, or at least should, that MG is the clear cut starter here.  No question about it.  But Ekeler has been very, very good.  He's not going to fall off the face of the earth.  I could very easily see this being a situation where each guys get drives, maybe one Ekeler for every two MG, with both on the field at times.  Obviously the days of 20+ touches are gone.  But 10 per game should be very do-able, and should provide low-end RB2/flex value at least, and he's shown he can score.  MG coming back is a hit, but it's not the end of Ekeler's valule.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

All of this speculation of Gordon becoming some bell cow workhorse is fueled by wishful thinking from Gordon owners.

You can say the same for Ekeler owners. Nobody knows so sitting, arguing and speculating is pretty much pointless. 

38 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

You can say the same for Ekeler owners. Nobody knows so sitting, arguing and speculating is pretty much pointless. 

Discussions about players we own is exactly what this forum is for...

21 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Discussions about players we own is exactly what this forum is for...

Indeed.  But it does make sense.  It's going to take time for MG to get back into game-shape, back fully integrated into the O with such a long layoff.  He's not coming back taking the bell-cow work immediately or he's going to, mark my words, get injured.  

Ekeler is actually a buy-low IMHO.   

• Like 1

Gordon - low end RB1 moving towards mid/top 5 RB1

Ekeler - RB3/flex, maybe slightly higher in PPR and top-tier handcuff

It's that simple, imo.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, aapox said:

Gordon - low end RB1 moving towards mid/top 5 RB1

Ekeler - RB3/flex, maybe slightly higher in PPR and top-tier handcuff

It's that simple, imo.

If your a MG owner you better make sure you trade for and get Ekeler on your team. 

It's that simple.   

Edited by theSPANKER

13 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Indeed.  But it does make sense.  It's going to take time for MG to get back into game-shape, back fully integrated into the O with such a long layoff.  He's not coming back taking the bell-cow work immediately or he's going to, mark my words, get injured.  

Ekeler is actually a buy-low IMHO.   

Going back to his freshman year at Wisconsin he's missed games due to injury in 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2018.  He's had microfracture surgery on his knee and sprained his MCL within the past two years, and he's missed two months worth of practices.

MGIII owners should be rooting for a slow transition to keep him fresh.  If I had him I would be concerned if they give him 30 touches against Denver.

• Like 2

Another point to think about is A.J. Green. An injury in August and he is still not close to returning. All indications are that he's playing it safe because he's in a contract year. MGIII may not be as inclined to work through injuries if it means risking more damage. And we all know RBs are a lot more likely to get hurt.

• Like 1

The fact remains that the Chargers should be 1-3 if Adam Vinatieri doesn’t botch 3 kicks in 1 game, with a lone victory over the free win Dolphins. Ekeler has put up great numbers but he hurts in other areas like busting it up inside and pass pro (Rivers taking 3 sacks a game - 8th worst). He’s still going to be quite involved, but you are wishful thinking if the Chargers aren’t going to hand the keys to Gordon to see if they can get some easier wins. Plus, it’s very unlikely Gordon is returning to San Diego, so why not use the hell out of him and save Ekeler for the future?

Edited by TennisDude
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 11:50 PM, Newtown said:

Did Williams run like a RB1 after 3 weeks until Bell came back in 2015? Of course not because Bell was suspended for 2 games in 2015. You would know if you bothered to look.

Either way, the point was Bell went back to bell cow status. Williams to the bench. That's the real point.

And that assuming Gordon stays the bellcow ROS is a coin flip at best, not fait accompli.

Same thing happened in 2015 when DWill was a stud while Bell was suspended, Bell came back and his owners gloated...for about 3 weeks, after which DWill was a league winner. And Ekeler is several years younger (and more productive) than 2015 DWill, plus Gordon is no L. Bell.

11 hours ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Chargers are dumb for starting Gordon and I too don't believe a word the head coach is saying.

There is literally no reason for Lynn to come out the day Gordon says he's reporting back to the team and announce that Gordon will be the starter and the other guys will return to their normal roles, other than the fact that Gordon will be the starter and the other guys will return to their normal roles.

But Lynn did say Gordon would be the starter immediately just 4 days ago on Friday.

Lynn also made it clear Gordon will remain the team's starter once he's back up to speed following his lengthy holdout. "He's our starter. No doubt," Lynn said. "As soon as Melvin's ready, he'll go back. He'll go back to number one."

This hopeful discussion on Ekeler is straight goofy.

Edited by TennisDude