throwaway9614

Austin Ekeler 2019 Outlook

The best hope for us Ekeler owners is for Gordon to struggle to kick off the rust and for the Chargers to fall behind fast, in order for Ekeler to fully tap into his pass catching role. He might not be a RB1 anymore, but he will definitely remain FLEX-worthy in PPR leagues.

• Like 2

Might get one more week of sneaky value if they ease Gordon in kind of like Zeke was for the Cowboys. I'm hoping they find a way to have both backs on the field more going forward given Ekelers pass catching has been pretty elite up until this point.

Probably just wishful thinking in both instances.

1 minute ago, MoonBlaster said:

Might get one more week of sneaky value if they ease Gordon in kind of like Zeke was for the Cowboys. I'm hoping they find a way to have both backs on the field more going forward given Ekelers pass catching has been pretty elite up until this point.

I'm flexing him this week with that thought as well.

7 minutes ago, MoonBlaster said:

Gordon is going to flat-out beast since he is playing for money. Zeke already got paid so he requested they ease him back and does not even try on the field.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MoonBlaster said:

I think this is reasonable thinking. If they had given Gordon any touches against Miami I would have been concerned with him getting the full workload this week, but I think this game will be about an even split, with possibly Ekeler having more value due to passing downs. Denver has been shredded on the ground this year, and they just lost Bradley Chubb... both could have nice games.  I’m likely starting Austin at Flex, and wouldn’t be surprised to see 100 combined yards with a chance of TD.

After this week, I expect Gordon to return to workhorse status barring injury, with Ekeler mixing in to give him a breather.  Will be looking to choose better options to replace him in my lineup.

Having both players,  gonna play it safe and have them on the bench to see how it plays out unless something pops up this week.

I think you can start Eckler with confidence this week. MG may return to the #1 RB on the team but I cant see it being his first week back. 

Example--Zeke's return, he played and got an e z touchdown but they didn't shove him into the bell cow role right away. 

After this week I think Eckler is more of a RB 2/Flex in PPR. Until Hunter Henry returns and Williams is 100% there are still a lot of pass targets to go around. Plus Charges D hasn't been lights out so there will be plenty of games scripts to keep Eckler active. 

I own each in different leagues so personally, I'm not rooting for this to go one way or the other. 

Edited by Duckbutter
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eddie Mush said:

Haven't read last couple pages, but owners of MG and Ekeler, starting both this week?

I am. I hate to do it, because I have better options, but I'm just not taking any chances this week. Without workload knowledge, it's a tough spot to be in. Hopefully we will know more as the week progresses.

Edited by FitzMagic

1 minute ago, Eddie Mush said:

Haven't read last couple pages, but owners of MG and Ekeler, starting both this week?

Not me.  I’m just starting MG

• Like 1

I also think MG3 has an average week, with Eckler doing slightly better...maybe 50/50 split.

Next week MG3 takes over.

Denver looks shredded and now they've lost Bradley Chubb.  Previously left for dead Fournette had a field day against them.  But it's a divisional game so they may get up for it, and LA may hurry to bring MGIII back into his previous role to ensure the W.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you start both you’re either going to get two middling performances or one disappointing one.  Better to roll the dice imo.  Of course the usual depends on your situation disclaimer applies

1 hour ago, Nah85 said:

Having both players,  gonna play it safe and have them on the bench to see how it plays out unless something pops up this week.

Sounds like a mistake given how badly Denver just got gashed by the Jags run game + Chubb out for the year. They should have no trouble running the ball

Nobody knows how Melvin Gordon will look after a long layoff. Zeke only missed the preseason and hasn't looked great in four games. If LAC falls behind in games, we will see more Ekeler less MG.

7 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Nobody knows how Melvin Gordon will look after a long layoff. Zeke only missed the preseason and hasn't looked great in four games. If LAC falls behind in games, we will see more Ekeler less MG.

Both players have a similar skillset. So, falling behind doesn't matter. They can both run and catch. You might even see both on the field at the same time.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Both players have a similar skillset. So, falling behind doesn't matter. They can both run and catch. You might even see both on the field at the same time.

with the lack of receiving threats it seems likely

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BornandbredHeel said:

I'm flexing him this week with that thought as well.

Same. Actually in my RB2 spot but same difference.

25 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

It's kind of hard to bench Ekeler the way he's been playing. Especially considering Gordon has yet to play an NFL snap this year.

I would definitely flex Ekeler this week to see what happens. 

People are so desperately clinging to Ekeler having value. I traded for Gordon in 2 leagues. I said he'd be back by week 5, people called me crazy. Once he announced his return, everyone said Ekeler would still be the man and it would be an even split at worst. Then the HC announces this is Gordon's backfield and some "need to see how things will shake out" lol. Did everyone forget what happened when Ekeler stepped into a full time role last season during the games Gordon was injured? There's a reason Jackson had risen to such prominence. 

3 minutes ago, Uncle_Ruckus said:

People are so desperately clinging to Ekeler having value. I traded for Gordon in 2 leagues. I said he'd be back by week 5, people called me crazy. Once he announced his return, everyone said Ekeler would still be the man and it would be an even split at worst. Then the HC announces this is Gordon's backfield and some "need to see how things will shake out" lol. Did everyone forget what happened when Ekeler stepped into a full time role last season during the games Gordon was injured? There's a reason Jackson had risen to such prominence. 

Ekeler was the #25 RB in PPR last season.  He was the #3 RB in fantasy through September of this year.

I don't see people "desperately clinging to the idea Ekeler has value."  I see people who feel the need to bash him to get themselves hyped about MGIII.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Uncle_Ruckus said:

People are so desperately clinging to Ekeler having value

People seem to forget (most likely ignore) the fact that Ekeler finished as a borderline RB2 in PPR last year......( RB25 )

This despite missing two games, one of which, was a game the MGII was out.

• Thanks 1