throwaway9614

Austin Ekeler 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, Uncle_Ruckus said:

People are so desperately clinging to Ekeler having value. I traded for Gordon in 2 leagues. I said he'd be back by week 5, people called me crazy. Once he announced his return, everyone said Ekeler would still be the man and it would be an even split at worst. Then the HC announces this is Gordon's backfield and some "need to see how things will shake out" lol. Did everyone forget what happened when Ekeler stepped into a full time role last season during the games Gordon was injured? There's a reason Jackson had risen to such prominence. 

What about the first four weeks of this season? It was clearly Ekeler's backfield with Justin Jackson only being in for limited snaps

He might put up 4 points this week, he might put up 16. The other weeks he was a lock for 12+ fantasy points without a doubt.  Now it's a toss up

7 minutes ago, SteelBallin said:

He might put up 4 points this week, he might put up 16. The other weeks he was a lock for 12+ fantasy points without a doubt.  Now it's a toss up

Yup.

The key is going to be using him when the 16 points is coming.  Some of it will be research and most will be luck.

The good news is that Chargers have a good offense and that there will be opportunities, they trust him in goal to go passing situations, and outside of MGIII and Allen they are missing a lot of weapons down there they had last year.

4 hours ago, Uncle_Ruckus said:

People are so desperately clinging to Ekeler having value. I traded for Gordon in 2 leagues. I said he'd be back by week 5, people called me crazy. Once he announced his return, everyone said Ekeler would still be the man and it would be an even split at worst. Then the HC announces this is Gordon's backfield and some "need to see how things will shake out" lol. Did everyone forget what happened when Ekeler stepped into a full time role last season during the games Gordon was injured? There's a reason Jackson had risen to such prominence. 

Have you been asleep the last 30 or so days mate?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Ekeler was the #25 RB in PPR last season.  He was the #3 RB in fantasy through September of this year.

I don't see people "desperately clinging to the idea Ekeler has value."  I see people who feel the need to bash him to get themselves hyped about MGIII.

We saw this a month ago with people that didn't want to pay up for Ekeler and ended up with a slightly taller, slightly lighter back in Justin Jackson later in their drafts. We all saw how that turned out. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Ekeler was the #25 RB in PPR last season.  He was the #3 RB in fantasy through September of this year.

I don't see people "desperately clinging to the idea Ekeler has value."  I see people who feel the need to bash him to get themselves hyped about MGIII.

FSM7yR.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t think it’s about getting hyped about MGIII. It’s just the head coach announced himself just a few days ago that Gordon will be the lead back period as soon as he’s ready. You can speculate all you like in any direction, but I think the head coach saying that is probably the only evidence we need. And I own both.

Edited by TennisDude

I think you have to choose between one or the other if you have better options.  Someone earlier said they are starting both despite having better options, but I think you are setting yourself up for a disappointment if you do that.  I do think one of the two will probably disappoint owners, so I'm planning on rolling the dice with one of the two and starting my other options elsewhere (in this case, Chris Carson).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TennisDude said:

I don’t think it’s about getting hyped about MGIII. It’s just the head coach announced himself just a few days ago that Gordon will be the lead back period as soon as he’s ready. You can speculate all you like in any direction, but I think the head coach saying that is probably the only evidence we need. And I own both.

There's a fine line between a 50/50 timeshare and "(not) having value."

Ekeler has shown he can walk it in this offense last year when Gordon was healthy.

What's changed?  He held out for two months.

So you could refute that Ekeler will get an equal number of snaps and I'd agree with you.  But if you say he's not going to have any value I would not.

29 minutes ago, jmoney23 said:

I think you have to choose between one or the other if you have better options.  Someone earlier said they are starting both despite having better options, but I think you are setting yourself up for a disappointment if you do that.  I do think one of the two will probably disappoint owners, so I'm planning on rolling the dice with one of the two and starting my other options elsewhere (in this case, Chris Carson).

Dude Chris Carson is a no brainer start over Gordon and ekeler. You aren’t exactly shocking the world with that one. A lot of people don’t have that luxury.

Edited by StevenSC400

16 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

Dude Chris Carson is a no brainer start over Gordon and ekeler. You aren’t exactly shocking the world with that one. A lot of people don’t have that luxury.

Yeah clearly, but I'm just outlining that it's better to start you better options that to roll with both, as some people appear to be doing.  

Just now, Eddie Mush said:

For reference, I'm starting (zeke) Ekeler and Melvin and over Montgomery and Thompson (PPR)

ok thats good to hear...

let us know your experiment with eke and melvin combo,,,terms of mental mapping,,,

3 minutes ago, championship or bust said:

ok thats good to hear...

let us know your experiment with eke and melvin combo,,,terms of mental mapping,,,

Ones gotta score right?

Image result for shrug gif

Edited by Eddie Mush

A guy who would have gone in the late first or early 2nd round if the holdout hadn't happened, I think that's a no-brainer. Also, a guy who produced solid flex numbers last season and has been killing it in Gordon's stead, is an easy start. Unless the Chargers throw all game to WRs and TEs then someone is getting the carries and targets in the backfield. If they put up 25 points combined, I'll take that. That's pretty much what Ekeler/Jackson put up on a bad week.

4 hours ago, TennisDude said:

id agree with you but your missing 2 things...

1) Coaches say alot of bulls**t...most of the time they say one thing and do something else unfortunately

2)the people in this thread, myself included, own ekeler ;)

There’s little reason to think the splits will be any different than last season. Ekeler will probably have a larger than usual share this week as they ease Gordon back into his starter role, but after that, it’s not likely to be close to an even timeshare. This is purely based on how the team has used these two backs in previous seasons. 

Ekeler owner in the league I have Melvin won't sell at all. Since I own Melvin I'm willing to overpay: Offered Woods + Waller in 0.5 PPR and his TE is Vernon Davis, yet he still rejected it.

In 2 or 3 weeks, baring a Melvin injury, he will probably jump all over that offer.

I quite understand it since Ekeler has been an elite RB1 so far and owners want to ride it out until the bitter end. Plus he has decent flex value in all PPR formats.

So for those who want to handcuff Melvin with Ekeler, wait another 2 or 3 weeks and then pounce again.

• Like 1

Dear Melvin Gordon owners, this is an Ekeler thread. Please allow owners to exchange positive hopes without throwing in doomsday scenarios of MGIII taking over. I don't own Ekeler anywhere but understand the owner's perspective. The player has been performing admirably and you hate to see it end. Even if the points drop by 10-15, any form of production allows them to hang on to an excellent first four games. Let Ekeler owners liiivveeee!!!!

4 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

There’s little reason to think the splits will be any different than last season. Ekeler will probably have a larger than usual share this week as they ease Gordon back into his starter role, but after that, it’s not likely to be close to an even timeshare. This is purely based on how the team has used these two backs in previous seasons. 

I'm still confused by why history plays any role in what happens moving forward. If I was looking at a historical perspective I'd think AB wasn't a clown.

This is an unprecedented situation with new information that wasn't folded in from a historical look which makes what they did last year meaningless. Honestly any assumption works in this situation because it is so unknown. 

Man, I can only imagine the number of I told you so birds that will be flocking to this thread after the next three weeks. Popcorn? Check! Soda? Check! Best of luck to both sides.

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo

i'll say this as an MGIII owner/troofer ... my elation that he's back has taken a big hit here - Ek is gonna still eat, moreso than last season, i believe. 

i'd be ecstatic with a 65/35 divvy ... but i really think that once the dust settles it'll break more like a 57/43. 

Ek has earned a seat at the rb2 table going forward. 

10 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

I'm still confused by why history plays any role in what happens moving forward. If I was looking at a historical perspective I'd think AB wasn't a clown.

This is an unprecedented situation with new information that wasn't folded in from a historical look which makes what they did last year meaningless. Honestly any assumption works in this situation because it is so unknown. 

True, but it’s not just based on history. It’s also based on the Chargers welcoming Gordon back and the coaches specifically stating that he will return to his starters role and he gives them the best chance to win. Ekeler has been a fine RB3/Flex in the past and he’ll continue to be one this season, maybe with a little larger share of the backfield. 

12 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Dear Melvin Gordon owners, this is an Ekeler thread. Please allow owners to exchange positive hopes without throwing in doomsday scenarios of MGIII taking over. I don't own Ekeler anywhere but understand the owner's perspective. The player has been performing admirably and you hate to see it end. Even if the points drop by 10-15, any form of production allows them to hang on to an excellent first four games. Let Ekeler owners liiivveeee!!!!

Agree, but only to a degree. Melvin situation/usage is directly tied to Ekeler, probably more so than any other current RB situation other than KC. So it absolutely warrants some sort of Melvin discussion in the Ekeler thread.

FF is often a game of emotion and feelings. Rightfully so. But if you can get a great deal for Ekeler, you can't treat him like the elite RB1 he has been thus far. Hence even if for the strangest of reasons he earns a 50:50 split, his value takes a big hit, if only because Melvin steals goalline touches.