throwaway9614

Austin Ekeler 2019 Outlook

On 11/14/2019 at 11:09 AM, TBE75 said:

Projection: 12 pts (0.5 PPR)

Research: The Chargers are coming off of a disappointing loss to the Raiders in Week 10 and will be playing the Chiefs this week in Mexico City. Last week, Austin Ekeler was out touched by Melvin Gordon 23-8 and salvaged an otherwise unproductive performance with a touchdown. Without the touchdown, Ekeler would have had 19 rushing yards and two (2) receptions on two (2) targets for 29 yards for a total of 5.8 fantasy points (0.5 PPR style). However, the game is being held at the colosseum in Mexico City, which is around 7200 feet above sea level. Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn has brought his team to Colorado (approximately 5400 feet above sea level) for the week to practice, so that they can better condition themselves. During the weekly press conference, Anthony Lynn was asked about the difference higher altitude has on players. He responded with “as a former player I know that it is harder to prepare for and play in”. Luckily, Ekeler is a Colorado native and is used to playing football in higher altitudes and may actually benefit from the higher altitude. With Melvin Gordon needing more breaks, Ekeler could see more snaps on offense. Expect Ekeler to be in the RB2 range.  

“Used to playing football in high altitudes”

hilarious-  as if it’s an immunity you get to keep.   How long has he been playing in California now?  😂 

sorry couldn’t resist....

love this dude and he’s a must start weekly regardless of altitude lol 

On 11/19/2019 at 12:46 PM, Impreza178 said:

“Used to playing football in high altitudes”

hilarious-  as if it’s an immunity you get to keep.   How long has he been playing in California now?  😂 

sorry couldn’t resist....

love this dude and he’s a must start weekly regardless of altitude lol 

When you grow up playing football in Colorado you get used to playing in higher altitudes... So yeah he was previously "used to playing football in higher altitudes". Never said the years in California didn't take away from his previous altitude conditioning. But he was used to it.

Also the dude isn't a "must start weekly" unless you are suffering in the RB department. Plenty of other RB's with similar production now that Gordon is back. 

Really liked your take though. Super creative and insightful.... Sorry couldn't resist....

7 minutes ago, TBE75 said:

When you grow up playing football in Colorado you get used to playing in higher altitudes... So yeah he was previously "used to playing football in higher altitudes". Never said the years in California didn't take away from his previous altitude conditioning. But he was used to it.

Also the dude isn't a "must start weekly" unless you are suffering in the RB department. Plenty of other RB's with similar production now that Gordon is back. 

Really liked your take though. Super creative and insightful.... Sorry couldn't resist....

😴 tired of people tearing each other down on these forums

• Like 1

So quiet in here. Despite Gordon being back he’s produced double digits in PPR every week except 1. Still #4 ranked overall RB. 11 targets last week. I feel like he gets a bit looked over in rankings but he has still been very productive. 

What do we think about his matchup today? 

13 hours ago, Sweetness09 said:

So quiet in here. Despite Gordon being back he’s produced double digits in PPR every week except 1. Still #4 ranked overall RB. 11 targets last week. I feel like he gets a bit looked over in rankings but he has still been very productive. 

What do we think about his matchup today? 

Looks like hes a must start ros. Ive been hesitant to start him with mg3 back. I keep thinking each week chargers would go up big and just feed melvin. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rookieadrian said:

Looks like hes a must start ros. Ive been hesitant to start him with mg3 back. I keep thinking each week chargers would go up big and just feed melvin. 

Dont think the Chargers are going to be up big regularly 

Starting him over Barkley this upcoming week in the playoffs, idc. This guy is a solid RB2, as I don't see the Chargers having a lead much ROS.

25 minutes ago, Broncos132 said:

Starting him over Barkley this upcoming week in the playoffs, idc. This guy is a solid RB2, as I don't see the Chargers having a lead much ROS.

The Chargers' 3 fantasy playoff matchups are @ Jax, vs. Min and vs. Oak which are basically average in difficulty overall.  They will probably only be playing from behind in the Minnesota game but I still think Ekeler is a solid PPR rb2 for the fantasy playoffs and on the rb2/rb3 borderline for standard leagues. 

Edited by sjm76

6 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

The Chargers' 3 fantasy playoff matchups are @ Jax, vs. Min and vs. Oak which are basically average in difficulty overall.  They will probably only be playing from behind in the Minnesota game but I still think Ekeler is a solid PPR rb2 for the fantasy playoffs and on the rb2/rb3 borderline for standard leagues. 

Think you’re underestimating how crappy the chargers and phillip rivers are. They could easily lose to all 3 of those teams. Suggesting the chargers are anything other than just another garbage team in a league full of garbage teams is silly. With that said Eckler is an absolute MUST start. One of the most consistent players in all of fantasy .

• Haha 1

Get these guys into the next round and then save some for next week!

7 hours ago, lla887 said:

Ekeler a top five pick in next years draft?

Nah, I don’t think so. Not enough volume. Could be a 3rd rounder in ppr though for anyone wanting to reach. He’s a player you love to have though and tough as nails. If he stays in LA which we can assume, someone  else like Justin Jackson will take a lot of early down work.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, aapox said:

Nah, I don’t think so. Not enough volume. Could be a 3rd rounder in ppr though for anyone wanting to reach. He’s a player you love to have though and tough as nails. If he stays in LA which we can assume, someone  else like Justin Jackson will take a lot of early down work.

If Rivers doesn't stay in LA Ekeler could turn into an RB3 overnight.  Rivers has always passed to RB's far more than average.

12 hours ago, lla887 said:

Ekeler a top five pick in next years draft?

No way. Maybe a second rounder in PPR.

8 hours ago, kdko said:

If Rivers doesn't stay in LA Ekeler could turn into an RB3 overnight.  Rivers has always passed to RB's far more than average.

This is absolutely true, but I think he's done enough over the past 2 years to prove that he is talented enough as a rusher and receiver to demand plays and offensive involvement. Not a certainty, and definitely not something to spend draft capital on. I'd bet on your take more than repeating this production if I was force to. Love the guy though.

Zero chance I let Ekeler drop to the third in PPR as it sits.    But that could change depending on rivers and who else is in that rb room.  

5 hours ago, ponchsox said:

No way. Maybe a second rounder in PPR.

he’s the RB3 in PPR and he’s been a backup the last two months...he’s posting better numbers than most every RB drafted in the first round, and he’s doing it with half the touches. If Gordon leaves and Ekeler were to become the featured back, he would absolutely be a first rounder IMO. Before anyone brings up his size, I have two words...Christian McCaffrey. They are basically the same size. 

Edited by Dexter75

9 hours ago, kdko said:

Cam Newton passes to his RB far more than average
Drew Brees passes to his RB far more than average

Eli Manning passes to his RB far more than average

Big Ben passes to his RB far more than average

Pretty much any QB with who has a RB with over 100 receptions in a year throws to their RB a lot. Whoever is playing QB for the Chargers can throw to Ekeler a lot too, it’s part of a scheme. 

Edited by Dexter75

ekelr > MG 

srry i gave up on him due to lack of time playing with MG back but i blame the stupid coaching staff and am glad they are out of contention...hopefully the coach loses his job

If everyone's asking about Ekeler value for next year, let's wait and see where he ends up.  Right now he's slated to be an FA this off-season.  With MG most likely gone I would imagine they bring Ekeler back, but with Jackson under contract for one more year, perhaps they roll with Jackson and some late round rookie.

1 hour ago, Fort4242 said:

If everyone's asking about Ekeler value for next year, let's wait and see where he ends up.  Right now he's slated to be an FA this off-season.  With MG most likely gone I would imagine they bring Ekeler back, but with Jackson under contract for one more year, perhaps they roll with Jackson and some late round rookie.

Put him in KC and he goes first round

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phisouza33 said:

Put him in KC and he goes first round

I would imagine so. People were taking Damien Williams as a borderline first-rounder and, unlike Williams, Ekeler is actually good at football. 

10 hours ago, Eddie Mush said:

Feel bad for anyone that gave up on him when MG came back. I've started him every single week. League winner in PPR.

He had a down week and i bought into the notion that MG would take his touches.

Flipped him for Saquon (multi player deal) and regretted it ever since. Ekeler is the real deal and a league winner.