Pyschout

Jusuf Nurkic 2019-2020 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season 2020 automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2021.]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, NBA_OG said:

70% of last year would be 35%fg, 11pts, 7 rebs, 1block, 0.7 stls.

That's a league winner? That's borderline FA stuff. Don't talk about stats unless you study stats. 

Ironically that’s what I’m afraid of, but that’s probably the floor. Other than fg  pct, I’d be ok with a waiver guy doin that. 

10 hours ago, NBA_OG said:

That's a league winner? That's borderline FA stuff. Don't talk about stats unless you study stats. 

70% of last year's value doesn't apply to FG% if you're already multiplying by the counting stats.  

Don't talk about stats unless you understand stats. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, NBA_OG said:

26 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

70% of last year's value doesn't apply to FG% if you're already multiplying by the counting stats.  

Lmao. Seriously. Mr. PhD in statistics sounds like a complete a** here. 

1 hour ago, Eltoro said:

stats.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, the1gq2nvy said:

Nurk alert *was in uniform at shoot around this morning*

3-4 weeks and he'll be back. Let's gooo

What do you guys project his stats to be like? With Whiteside there it'll likely be a timeshare at best, no?

33 minutes ago, Nazyef said:

What do you guys project his stats to be like? With Whiteside there it'll likely be a timeshare at best, no?

I don’t think so. They are losing with Whiteside playing a lot. With Nurkic they are a winning team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nazyef said:

I think there's like a 70% chance Whiteside gets dealt by the deadline. Probably for help on the wing.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 12:39 AM, Eltoro said:

I think there's like a 70% chance Whiteside gets dealt by the deadline. Probably for help on the wing.

They just got it with Ariza now on their team. Question is, who wants whiteside?

2 minutes ago, vnmslsrbms said:

They just got it with Ariza now on their team. Question is, who wants whiteside?

Whoever wants cap relief. eg Cleveland trying to get rid of Love's contract. 

Only wrinkle is that I would have expected Nurk to be practicing by now... not sure what his timeline looks like any more. So maybe Whiteside gets kept as insurance. 

6 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

Whoever wants cap relief. eg Cleveland trying to get rid of Love's contract. 

Only wrinkle is that I would have expected Nurk to be practicing by now... not sure what his timeline looks like any more. So maybe Whiteside gets kept as insurance. 

Love and his stinking contract?  No thanks. Anyway, maybe they will find something. Nurk is weird tho. Already so close to Feb. 

On 1/9/2020 at 8:25 AM, NBA_OG said:

How do you apply 70% to his FG% when that is an efficiency statistic? His FG% will be virtually unaffected.

Don't talk about stats unless you have finished elementary school.

2 hours ago, vnmslsrbms said:

Love and his stinking contract?  No thanks. Anyway, maybe they will find something. Nurk is weird tho. Already so close to Feb. 

I mean they're not going to get good value, it's likely going to have to be one or more bad contracts in return. Beggars can't be choosers.

4 hours ago, Eltoro said:

I mean they're not going to get good value, it's likely going to have to be one or more bad contracts in return. Beggars can't be choosers.

Yeah but in this case they could just let whiteside expire, or just take Love plus a couple of first rounders type of deal (maybe that’s worth it?). I doubt it cuz they did the Ariza move to save money, but they do have a trade exception who knows if they will suddenly decide to use it but I doubt it since everyone wants picks, and not an expensive expiring contract center. 

2 minutes ago, flat_eric said:

Anyone without an IR thinking about stashing soon?

Nah. Curry has a definitive date that's relatively close, and even that's been a hesitant stash for me. Too many unknowns with Nurk. 

Edited by MuscleChestbrook
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, flat_eric said:

I stashed and dropped. I wanted to see him in contact practices by this point. 

No harm taking a flyer if you're healthy though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

Nah. Curry has a definitive date that's relatively close, and even that's been a hesitant stash for me. Too many unknowns with Nurk. 

Tend to agree with this. I've also had Curry stashed away for the last three weeks, so was bordering on gluttonous turning my attention to Nurk as well.  

30 minutes ago, flat_eric said:

I wouldn't stash without an IR unless you're feeling very confident in the standings. News does tend to move fast since all the reports I've seen about his return point out to sometime in February and/or the ASB so I'm hoping maybe we hear some news of him practicing this week. I'm about to stash him in my IR though, since Noel getting healthy freed it up lol

It's still almost 4 weeks till ASB, so there's plenty of time.  Then again, I wouldn't stash him with no IR.  There should be better FA's out there, at least able to play these 4 weeks, and that's probably worth a few wins in the standings. 

3 hours ago, flat_eric said:

I mean don’t you agree this is a league dependent question instead of a generalized?  Certainly many people never let go. 

• Like 1

I think PG13 came back 9 months after the injury playing minutes in the teens for the last few games of the season. Nurk is almost at the 10 month mark. Everyone heals differently, but that is a positive. 

Nurk was never a big minutes guy. If he comes back playing minutes in the teens I think he can be serviceable even while he ramps up to minutes in the 20's. Last year he only played 27 mpg. I am going to assume he comes back off of the bench and if going to be force fed/featured on offense while he is on the court. I think it will be similar to Embiid in his first year or two where the Sixers basically let him do whatever he wanted on the court since he played so few minutes. The Blazers have zero depth so I think he eats with the second unit. This is a positive. 

Another positive is that he said he was trimmer and more explosive. This was always a dude that was considered lazy early in his career. This is a positive. 

He is hurt and it is going to be a few more weeks. This is a negative. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thezing1 said:

I think PG13 came back 9 months after the injury playing minutes in the teens for the last few games of the season. Nurk is almost at the 10 month mark. Everyone heals differently, but that is a positive. 

Nurk was never a big minutes guy. If he comes back playing minutes in the teens I think he can be serviceable even while he ramps up to minutes in the 20's. Last year he only played 27 mpg. I am going to assume he comes back off of the bench and if going to be force fed/featured on offense while he is on the court. I think it will be similar to Embiid in his first year or two where the Sixers basically let him do whatever he wanted on the court since he played so few minutes. The Blazers have zero depth so I think he eats with the second unit. This is a positive. 

Another positive is that he said he was trimmer and more explosive. This was always a dude that was considered lazy early in his career. This is a positive. 

He is hurt and it is going to be a few more weeks. This is a negative. 

Agreed with your points. I think I'm higher on him than most - even if Whiteside does remain on the team I think Nurkic eventually becomes the starter due to his offensive fit with Lillard and CJ, as well as his ability to anchor the defense. He was a big part of their playoff run last year and if Portland will need him down the stretch in the competitive West. He'll play limited minutes for sure though - I wanna say 25 by the time fantasy playoffs roll around. But the good thing is he'll be force fed just to get him into rhythm.

• Like 1