Pyschout

Jusuf Nurkic 2019-2020 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season 2020 automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2021.]

Message added by tonycpsu

3 minutes ago, Espoiral said:

Agreed with your points. I think I'm higher on him than most - even if Whiteside does remain on the team I think Nurkic eventually becomes the starter due to his offensive fit with Lillard and CJ, as well as his ability to anchor the defense. He was a big part of their playoff run last year and if Portland will need him down the stretch in the competitive West. He'll play limited minutes for sure though - I wanna say 25 by the time fantasy playoffs roll around. But the good thing is he'll be force fed just to get him into rhythm.

I think a lot is being made of the playoffs and Whiteside and all of that. This team is not good. Their depth and wings are awful. I think Ariza is actually a good get for them to space the floor and keep defenses honest, but the roster needs to be tweaked. I hope the Blazers don't prioritize the playoffs this year over getting a step on the roster overhaul for next year. 

John wall is already practicing. If Nurkic is coming back in a month. Shouldn’t we hear some news that he’s practising with the team already?

1 hour ago, t0087669 said:

John wall is already practicing. If Nurkic is coming back in a month. Shouldn’t we hear some news that he’s practising with the team already?

I think Wall was just practicing with some assistant coaches, not a full on practice.  It's possible Wall comes back sooner than he does though, no doubt. 

I’m picking between Nurk or Otto to stash in my IR in a couple of weeks. Itching for some news. 

Nurk, Otto, or Wall?  I'd prefer Nurk=Wall>Otto.  All three are playing for nothing, but Bulls and Blazers are a few games back.  Wizards are hopeless.  Wall better upside, but larger injury risk (achilles is no joke).  Nurk might not be performing at 100%, but he has lost weight, looked fine, and bones heal better than tendons do.  Otto I think just doesn't have it this year.  Rudy Gay, the latest to come back from an achilles, seems to be OK, but his stocks are really down this year, or he's just getting old.  Kobe was clearly not the same, shooting percentage dropping big time. 

53 minutes ago, vnmslsrbms said:

Nurk, Otto, or Wall?  I'd prefer Nurk=Wall>Otto.  All three are playing for nothing, but Bulls and Blazers are a few games back.  Wizards are hopeless.  Wall better upside, but larger injury risk (achilles is no joke).  Nurk might not be performing at 100%, but he has lost weight, looked fine, and bones heal better than tendons do.  Otto I think just doesn't have it this year.  Rudy Gay, the latest to come back from an achilles, seems to be OK, but his stocks are really down this year, or he's just getting old.  Kobe was clearly not the same, shooting percentage dropping big time. 

I think Otto = Nurk >>> Wall

Bulls are also just a few games behind and I guess he will find his rhythm down the stretch. Nurk doesn't need much minutes to contribute to fantasy. 

With Wall they already announced a couple of times that he will probably not play this season. 

just listened to locked on podcast, the guy who is doing locked on Blazers said he is definitely target ASB (right before or after) to come back

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, t0087669 said:

just listened to locked on podcast, the guy who is doing locked on Blazers said he is definitely target ASB (right before or after) to come back

I believe the mid-feb return has been reported by bleacher report before (early december iirc). We are hoping there are more updates on the development.

Edited by simon

He was added and dropped a few times in one of my deep leagues. I couldn't avoid the damn injury bug whole the season to stash Nurk.

How many restrictions do you think they will put on him? I assume hes going to come off of the bench. If hes capped to 15 minutes for the first month, i cant see much value in rostering him.

15min is really low, as already mentioned he can do a lot of damage in only 20-25min since he put up great numbers last year in only 27min. After a week or two I guess he will be back in that area.

5 minutes ago, KB24MVP said:

15min is really low, as already mentioned he can do a lot of damage in only 20-25min since he put up great numbers last year in only 27min. After a week or two I guess he will be back in that area.

i tried buying low on Bryant and hes been limited to 15 minutes over his first 3 games, which is definitely surprising me. I'm unfamiliar with bigs and how they're handled coming off of injury. Nurkic had a much worse injury so this all leaves me skeptical

I think his minutes depend on where Portland is at by the time he comes back. If they're still within reach of an 8th seed (they're currently 4 games back I believe) then I can see them giving Nurk at least 25 minutes a game. If there's no hope of them making the playoffs then I doubt he gets enough minutes to make any meaningful fantasy contribution.

What Portland should be doing is trading CJ to get back another 3 and D wing like RoCo or at least a backcourt mate for Lillard with more size and better defense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fabrar said:

I think his minutes depend on where Portland is at by the time he comes back. If they're still within reach of an 8th seed (they're currently 4 games back I believe) then I can see them giving Nurk at least 25 minutes a game. If there's no hope of them making the playoffs then I doubt he gets enough minutes to make any meaningful fantasy contribution.

What Portland should be doing is trading CJ to get back another 3 and D wing like RoCo or at least a backcourt mate for Lillard with more size and better defense.

Well the market for scorers who don't really play D is pretty shallow.  Things are not like how they used to when they just evaluated by eye and ignored the defensive impact.  Portland in the past has tried to cover up the defensive deficiencies of Lillard and McCollum, but it still meant bottom third in defense.  They need absolute stalwarts at the 3-5 positions to cover up for their guard deficiencies.  It's very difficult to play that way and make it deep into the playoffs.  Other teams know this, and Lillard is clearly the better guard both ways compared to McCollum.  Devin Booker is in a similar boat, but he might be a better offensive force than McCollum (hard to tell since he gets way more chances to shine).  Anyway, they need Nurkic, losing Aminu and Harkless really hurt, and replacing them with Hood (defense?) and Baze (shadow of himself) doesn't work.  Plus their PF is now Carmelo who despite his best efforts only shows up for D occasionally. 

I do think that they let him get some game reps like PG did.  Hope he doesn't suck like PG did when he returned for those last games in the season. 

Now i see where the rotoworld blurbs come from 😆

8 minutes ago, simon said:

Now i see where the rotoworld blurbs come from 😆

🤔

a big man coming back from a leg injury will be superrr slow build up. not even so much of reinjure risk but will be open to all sorts of soft tissue new injuries due to not playing in ages (stress reactions, hammies, calves etc) and with Whiteside they won't feel the rush to push his mins so I think by fantasy playoffs he might be at 15-20 mins. low end big man stats really

Whenever I see a reply for this thread, I always think there's an update on his status already lmaoo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, m1dday said:

Whenever I see a reply for this thread, I always think there's an update on his status already lmaoo

That's what we are all hoping for when we come here.  😌

since on rotoworld there was no update about Nurkic and on BBM was stated that Nurk has projected comeback date is 2/28, is it wise to stash Nurkic now and avoid all hot streamers in the wire?

There are two types of people in this world: the types who think Nurkic will be a factor this season, and those who think he will hold deep league value at best.  I choose to side with the former, and this allegiance has been reflected in my dropping Prince to add Nurk to my IR earlier today.  If you're doing alright in the standings and have an IR spot, why the heyell not (unless you side with the other camp of course)?

9 minutes ago, Nica4two said:

There are two types of people in this world: the types who think Nurkic will be a factor this season, and those who think he will hold deep league value at best.  I choose to side with the former, and this allegiance has been reflected in my dropping Prince to add Nurk to my IR earlier today.  If you're doing alright in the standings and have an IR spot, why the heyell not (unless you side with the other camp of course)?

Yeah I have him stashed away in my IR. My team has been healthy and I'm #1 by a comfortable margin so it doesn't hurt to have some possible reinforcements post-ASB.

2 hours ago, enbhie said:

since on rotoworld there was no update about Nurkic and on BBM was stated that Nurk has projected comeback date is 2/28, is it wise to stash Nurkic now and avoid all hot streamers in the wire?

I've got him stashed on my IR since Bryant came back. If you've got an open slot, why not? Nothing to lose. Now if someone on my team got injured then i'd think about it... But I'm also comfy in the standings so i'd probably still hold if that was the case. 

So 2 things:

- Do you have a free IR slot? If yes, do it.

- Are you doing well enough to take a hit if and when one of your guys go down? If yes, do it. 

But if say someone like a Norman Powell is on the wire, i'd definitely go grab him instead of Nurk as he's been on fire and then either drop your worst guy for Nurk later on, assuming no one else grabs him or  wait til Norm cools off and then do a swap.

Edited by Obliviate

8 hours ago, fabrar said:

Yeah I have him stashed away in my IR. My team has been healthy and I'm #1 by a comfortable margin so it doesn't hurt to have some possible reinforcements post-ASB.

Heck yes we be stashin. Can’t wait. 

Edited by Bugs bunny