Pyschout

Jusuf Nurkic 2019-2020 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season 2020 automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2021.]

Message added by tonycpsu

9 hours ago, fabrar said:

Yeah I have him stashed away in my IR. My team has been healthy and I'm #1 by a comfortable margin so it doesn't hurt to have some possible reinforcements post-ASB.

same here!!

30 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

the bomb we been waiting for -

Damian Lillard said Jusuf Nurkic took part in full practice today.

Amazing news, but this doesn't move the needle for his return date, right? We're still looking at a post-ASB return?

Full contact practice, doesn’t that mean after a few of these he should be back ???

38 minutes ago, m1dday said:

Amazing news, but this doesn't move the needle for his return date, right? We're still looking at a post-ASB return?

Yeah I looked at Paul George's injury as a guide and it was about a month after full contact practices that he returned. I would probably expect the same with Nurk. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, t0087669 said:

Full contact practice, doesn’t that mean after a few of these he should be back ???

No hes coming back post ASB.

1 minute ago, Eltoro said:

Yeah I looked at Paul George's injury as a guide and it was about a month after full contact practices that he returned. I would probably expect the same with Nurk. 

Makes sense. Maybe this could be different and he can be back soon, but stash city it is with him. If the Blazers somehow end up moving Whiteside by the deadline though, he'll be an even hotter pickup.

Its a tough thing considering stashing him in a league without an IR. I would err towards not doing it because

A) there are so many unknowns with him

B ) More importantly: his return timeline is unfortunately around trade deadlines. Holding out for an unsure thing and possibly missing a huge pickup may cost you. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

That is likely but it's very different because Portland is behind and need nurkik for a playoff push. They could sit PG and Kawhi the rest of the season and still make playoffs so the need to get nurkik out there is more essential. 

2 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

That is likely but it's very different because Portland is behind and need nurkik for a playoff push. They could sit PG and Kawhi the rest of the season and still make playoffs so the need to get nurkik out there is more essential. 

He's talking about when PG broke his leg back in Indiana, not his shoulder surgery while on the Clippers. They had a similar mechanism of injury. I don't think Portland is going to do anything risky with Nurk, as Hassan is still healthy to hold down the C position. The matter of urgency to make playoffs will fall onto the shoulders of Dame/CJ/Melo/Whiteside, as opposed to rushing Nurk back from his rehab timeline. 

Edited by MuscleChestbrook
  • Thanks 2

Getting a full contact practice in is very significant. I stashed.

You’d be foolish not to stash him. He has league winning potential. You’re not going to find a better player off the wire at this point and if/when something happens to Whiteside he can put up top 25 numbers. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

You’d be foolish not to stash him. He has league winning potential. You’re not going to find a better player off the wire at this point and if/when something happens to Whiteside he can put up top 25 numbers. 

For leagues with no IR um its not foolish. He wont be back before the all star break, doubt whiteside gets traded, and when he does come back hes going to be in a minute restriction for a while and competing/backing up whiteside for minutes. Zach Collins will be back by march they just traded for ariza and melo is still going to get some PF minutes.

Edited by Johnnyapplebot

6 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

For leagues with no IR um its not foolish. He wont be back before the all star break, doubt whiteside gets traded, and when he does come back hes going to be in a minute restriction for a while and competing/backing up whiteside for minutes. Zach Collins will be back by march they just traded for ariza and melo is still going to get some PF minutes.

Sorry you missed out, bud, there's always a next time! You can probably still pick Sekou or Wood, I heard those guys are real studs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ItzJaBoiSam said:

Sorry you missed out, bud, there's always a next time! You can probably still pick Sekou or Wood, I heard those guys are real studs.

Ok buddy lets revisit this after fantasy playoffs.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

1. Nurk is better than Whiteside on offense, and on defense. He makes the team play better and already has a connection with Dame and CJ. He's part of their core. If the Blazers are serious about a playoff push they'll gradually ramp up his minutes and get him going. Ideally, he'll play more minutes than Whiteside.

2. I can also 'doubt' that Whiteside won't get traded - the market for centers is pretty active especially with the Mavs just losing Powell.

3. Zach Collins is undersized to play C, The trade for Ariza is mainly to fill the SF void left by Hood and Baze, Melo and Zach would most likely split PF minutes when he comes back.

Edited by Espoiral
  • Thanks 1

Nurk was a real beast last season in his role with Portland. Even with minutes restriction, i think he will present much more value than any waiver wire pick up

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Maybe it's just me but hoping for top 25 numbers might be a little excessive

I picked up and will stash him , wait and see situation...could be a playoff winning investment

Everyday I am texting my LM to doubt him of setting up a 3C limit for the league... Could have stashed him if there wasn't a limit but I just couldn't let go of the 3Cs in my team too... Enjoy the ride guys😟

5 hours ago, Eltoro said:

Maybe it's just me but hoping for top 25 numbers might be a little excessive

Indeed, that's more like best case scenario. I'm hoping for top 50-75 numbers. Anything better would be a bonus. 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie