Pyschout

Jusuf Nurkic 2019-2020 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season 2020 automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2021.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

You’d be foolish not to stash him. He has league winning potential. You’re not going to find a better player off the wire at this point and if/when something happens to Whiteside he can put up top 25 numbers. 

You gotta taper expectations. He wasn't even top 

25 even when he was healthy and going on a tear last year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is right on time guys, we will have him after the ASB what will lead to about 30 games from him and more importantly he has one month of getting in shape before the Fantasy playoffs come around...

league winner potential!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does anyone know of anyone else that went through a similar injury and what it was like when they were brought back? This was a straight break rather then ligament damage right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Paul George had a similar thing and when he came back he wasn't that good in the 6 games he played that season. Of course George came back 3-4 months sooner than Nurk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GuruPitka said:

does anyone know of anyone else that went through a similar injury and what it was like when they were brought back? This was a straight break rather then ligament damage right?

I believe it was. Can't weigh in on the comparisons, but I'm pretty sure I remember coming across Nurk saying something along the lines of wanting to take all the time necessary to come back at 100%, apparently he had rushed back from some injuries previously.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RipCity0 said:

I think Paul George had a similar thing and when he came back he wasn't that good in the 6 games he played that season. Of course George came back 3-4 months sooner than Nurk.

 

This is correct. They had very similar injuries. Nurk is about 50 lbs heavier (he was much trimmer last year ~275, maybe lighter), so that's working against him, but I think this kind of clean break should be easier to come back from than ligament damage. 

PG was indeed terrible in the limited games he returned, but Nurkic should have a bit more time to get back to form since his injury occured (3/25/19) about 4 months earlier with respect to the next season than George (8/1/14). And PG was totally fine the next season, he was back to being a total beast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CFN said:

 

This is correct. They had very similar injuries. Nurk is about 50 lbs heavier (he was much trimmer last year ~275, maybe lighter), so that's working against him, but I think this kind of clean break should be easier to come back from than ligament damage. 

PG was indeed terrible in the limited games he returned, but Nurkic should have a bit more time to get back to form since his injury occured (3/25/19) about 4 months earlier with respect to the next season than George (8/1/14). And PG was totally fine the next season, he was back to being a total beast.

 

any clue as to the kind of minutes PG was given when he came back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah this guy is going to be someone else’s headache.  Not touching him this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a fine stash if you have an open IR, I wouldn't count on much this year though (especially if Whiteside isn't traded).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the Blazers beat writers have Hassan being traded at 50/50

Doubt it happens but I didn’t realize Hassan chances of getting traded were that high 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kilslo said:

One of the Blazers beat writers have Hassan being traded at 50/50

Doubt it happens but I didn’t realize Hassan chances of getting traded were that high 

 

Likewise. I hear a lot of 'Whiteside's way better in fantasy, and not that good at real defense', but I was looking at some advanced metrics and they seem to suggest he's pretty good. Not sure if Portland should be trading Whiteside. And this is coming from someone stashing Nurkic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Apollo_87 said:

Likewise. I hear a lot of 'Whiteside's way better in fantasy, and not that good at real defense', but I was looking at some advanced metrics and they seem to suggest he's pretty good. Not sure if Portland should be trading Whiteside. And this is coming from someone stashing Nurkic.

Yeh he’s been good for them (better then expected I bet) but trading him wouldn’t make much sense, unless they can fetch a first which I doubt seeing that he’ll be a UFA this offseason 

Maybe they are worried Hassan will react poorly as he did in Miami when Nurkic cuts into his minutes as Bam did

I hope these ramped up workouts a week before the trade deadline are to see if Nurkic can handle a full workload so they can sell high on Hassan for whatever they can get

Wishful thinking I know lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was always under the impression that Hassan was a rental for them in hopes of trading him away. He has performed better than his Miami days, but it has no contributed to wins unfortunately for the Blazers. They need to blow that team up, and I fathom he will be apart of the shrapnel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I badly need Nurkic and OPJ back a few weeks before playoffs. The sooner the better so they can be on form during the playoffs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Handcuffed Nurk (IL) and Whiteside together in one league.

I honestly don't know how much better the Blazers would be if they traded Whiteside.  They'd obviously need to improve their depth, but their C spot is a huge hole, and I doubt Nurk comes back anywhere near 100% by the IRL playoffs (even if the Blazers make it) in order to effectively help them.  Sure, Whiteside might be awful IRL on defense by most accounts, but for me, he seems to be fairly active when I'm watching him on the court, and of course, he's been putting up some gaudy stats (and staying relatively healthy) for fantasy owners anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeh I think they only trade Whiteside if they can find a really good deal but I think they'd def be open to it knowing they have nurk to come back and next season it would be a waste if they kept both in a timeshare (+ have Zach collins to back up nurk)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, kilslo said:

One of the Blazers beat writers have Hassan being traded at 50/50

Doubt it happens but I didn’t realize Hassan chances of getting traded were that high 

 

 

Who knows how committed Whiteside is with the team - maybe someone will overpay him this offseason in a generally weaker FA class, hence why Portland would be looking to trade him to get some value back. It's definitely 50/50 since they're not a relatively big FA destination anyway, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt it's anything that keeps him out that long. Honestly, I'd expect the time table to remain the same. He returns right after All-Star Break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

exactly why I doubt hell be relevant. big guys after that much time off, massive chance of soft tissue injuries. look at PG with his hammy etc. calf strains can be tricky. will most likely add another 1-2 weeks onto his recovery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beejay6020 said:

exactly why I doubt hell be relevant. big guys after that much time off, massive chance of soft tissue injuries. look at PG with his hammy etc. calf strains can be tricky. will most likely add another 1-2 weeks onto his recovery

 

 

would make him still ready for the Fantasy Playoffs.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.