mavsfan23

Jacob Waguespack 2019 Outlook

SP Toronto Blue Jays- 25 year old righty was a 37th round pick(not a typo) by PIT in 2012. At 6'6" 225lb he's a big dude. His FB has improved lately and has averaged 94mph in the majors this year. A scouting report from 2017 says he sits 91-94, so averaging 94 is a pleasant surprise. From scouting reports I've read, he's got a funky delivery and needs one of his breaking balls to take a step forward to be successful. This quote from 2080 baseball has me envisioning a right handed Alex Wood.... "Waguespack’s delivery is full of moving parts, with a deep stab in the back and a big wrap, an extra-long arm action, shoulder tilt, and a drop-and-drive push that lowers his release point dramatically, all but eliminating the advantage of his big frame."

I'm sure we're all collectively saying "who?" but in leagues where there's nothing on the wire, he's someone to watch tonight to see how it goes. In his only two starts this year he's faced @TB and BOS, and is lucky enough to get BOS again tonight. He's in the AL east though, so he better get used to it. In those two starts he's gone 9IP with a 1.11 WHIP and 11K's. The ERA is at 5 but a 2.88FIP and 2.81SIERA are a little more promising. The K's look semi-legit looking at his MiLB numbers, but there's control issues that could pop up. If he limits the walks and HR's tonight and shows a decent pitch out of his curve or slider, then there may a little something here. I'll be watching and eagerly awaiting @ST. STEVEN's review. 

Edited by mavsfan23
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

SP Toronto Blue Jays- 25 year old righty was a 37th round pick(not a typo) by PIT in 2012. At 6'6" 225lb he's a big dude. His FB has improved lately and has averaged 94mph in the majors this year. A scouting report from 2017 says he sits 91-94, so averaging 94 is a pleasant surprise. From scouting reports I've read, he's got a funky delivery and needs one of his breaking balls to take a step forward to be successful. This quote from 2080 baseball has me envisioning a right handed Alex Wood.... "Waguespack’s delivery is full of moving parts, with a deep stab in the back and a big wrap, an extra-long arm action, shoulder tilt, and a drop-and-drive push that lowers his release point dramatically, all but eliminating the advantage of his big frame."

I'm sure we're all collectively saying "who?" but in leagues where there's nothing on the wire, he's someone to watch tonight to see how it goes. In his only two starts this year he's faced @TB and BOS, and is lucky enough to get BOS again tonight. He's in the AL east though, so he better get used to it. In those two starts he's gone 9IP with a 1.11 WHIP and 11K's. The ERA is at 5 but a 2.88FIP and 2.81SIERA are a little more promising. The K's look semi-legit looking at his MiLB numbers, but there's control issues that could pop up. If he limits the walks and HR's tonight and shows a decent pitch out of his curve or slider, then there may a little something here. I'll be watching and eagerly awaiting @ST. STEVEN's review. 

I know who he is, and I'm looking forward to watching him pitch tonight. Boston will really test him,

I don't expect much against that line-up, but if he pitches well, and holds his own, that would be

a step in the right direction.

I know who he is because I remember another off season of Yankees and Red Sox getting all these off season acquisitions and as a jays fan having to see Waguespeack.  We all had a good laugh and then cried a bit.  Haven’t thought about him since then until I saw this thread.

So is this guy a two start starter this week?  CBS seems to think so but Yahoo begs to differ.... Yahoo has the Tuesday games as TBD pitchers.  But seems like The Jays staff is in such pieces that they have no choice but to throw Waguespack on normal rest (plus no reason to slow his innings at this point considering age as well as current and past inning totals).

Most places I see have him going on Wednesday.

I didn't get to watch his start last week at all, but I noticed the line for sure. I'm interested.

58 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

So is this guy a two start starter this week?  CBS seems to think so but Yahoo begs to differ.... Yahoo has the Tuesday games as TBD pitchers.  But seems like The Jays staff is in such pieces that they have no choice but to throw Waguespack on normal rest (plus no reason to slow his innings at this point considering age as well as current and past inning totals).

I don't think so and I also wouldn't want to start him twice vs the braves & stros