Pyschout

Dejounte Murray 2019-2020 Outlook

He's supposed to be completely recovered (even now, so of course for preseason and the season), so what are we expecting from him?  He doesn't get a lot of assists, and he does get a lot of rebounds, so he can be a linchpin PG in a punt assists build.  Very few threes though.

And of course, there's White and maybe even Walker in the mix.  Where would you take him and what do you see him doing?

There's also Patty Mills. Pop likes him and he's probably the best outside shooter of them all so some minutes will also go to him. Sure, they could share the court, bringing also Forbes in the mix and maybe moving Derozan a bit more to the SF. But anyway it's a bit scary rotation.

On 7/17/2019 at 11:04 AM, Pyschout said:

He's supposed to be completely recovered (even now, so of course for preseason and the season), so what are we expecting from him?  He doesn't get a lot of assists, and he does get a lot of rebounds, so he can be a linchpin PG in a punt assists build.  Very few threes though.

And of course, there's White and maybe even Walker in the mix.  Where would you take him and what do you see him doing?

On 7/17/2019 at 11:23 AM, slmroz said:

There's also Patty Mills. Pop likes him and he's probably the best outside shooter of them all so some minutes will also go to him. Sure, they could share the court, bringing also Forbes in the mix and maybe moving Derozan a bit more to the SF. But anyway it's a bit scary rotation.

Murray is interesting.  Crowded backcourt (5 players who need minutes).  No 3's.  Low assists.  Coming off major injury.  

But he's one of my favorite players.  I truly believe in his ability and Spurs player development.  There's some videos of him in scrimmages, yes scrimmages, showing off some nice upgraded offense and improved shooting.  Why would I put any stock into scrimmages?  Because you can clearly see he's improved in those areas.  Just as watching pick up / scrimmage film of Siakam last off season, you could just tell his handles and offensive game improved by leaps and bounds.  Now of course Dejounte doesn't have to be Siakam level on offense, nor are we expecting that, but if he can just be adequate, that's all we need...because he's elite at getting to the rim, when he learns to finish and dish better, his numbers will go up, and when he shows that he can be at least an average shooter from 3, then his whole game will open up more and his overall numbers could skyrocket.  Even a minimal improvement could yield 12-14 points / game, 7-8 rebounds, 3-4 assists, 2 steals, maybe 0.5 threes on improved percentages.  I think he's made the improvements and we could see a totally different player this year.  

On 7/19/2019 at 3:48 AM, hipriest69 said:

skyrocket.  Even a minimal improvement could yield 12-14 points / game, 7-8 rebounds, 3-4 assists, 2 steals, maybe 0.5 threes on improved percentages.

What round it is?

Not much imo.  Murray and White should be starters at guard positions and they compliment each other nicely. If anything they should improve each other value.

Murray was  All Defense second team and White finished 7th among guards in last year "all defense" votes (ahead of Buttler, CP, Westbrook...)

We all know how Pop likes his defense

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

What about Derrick White people? How much of a threat is he?

Initially I was concerned with the plethora of guard options for the Spurs but I think White and Murray will get the bulk, they're just too good defensively.  Mills getting phased out, Forbes is the new Mills.  Murray gets minutes into the 30's I think. 

imagine a starting line up of Murray/White/DeRozan/Aldridge/Poeltl. How many 3s would they avg per game? 1 combined? lol

• Like 2

DeRozan and Aldridge are only players 30+ minutes guaranteed. More logical is Murray's 25-28 minutes. Spurs will possibly play with 11 players at rotation.

Edited by apatas
  • Like 3

Do you guys think they run a starting lineup of DJM, White, DDR, Carroll and LA

or do they go traditional with LA at the 4 and Poetl at the 5 with one of the young guards coming off the bench?

6 hours ago, Mikhov said:

Do you guys think they run a starting lineup of DJM, White, DDR, Carroll and LA

or do they go traditional with LA at the 4 and Poetl at the 5 with one of the young guards coming off the bench?

Not only Poeltl, but other question is who is starting SG. Forbes is also option. Or DeRozan at 2. If Pop is coach then you never know what decisions come.

Edited by apatas
  • Like 3

Mike Finger‏Verified account @mikefinger

FollowFollow @mikefinger

More

Media couldn’t watch the entire scrimmage between USA’s World Cup team (varsity) and select team (jv). But two people who were in the gym just told me the select team dominated in stretches, and both said one of the biggest reasons why was Derrick White.

2:35 PM - 6 Aug 2019

I dont see a Derrick white thread so this seems like best spot to post this. 

BOLD PREDICTION - Murray comes out on fire and averages 15 points on 1.2 threes / game this year.  Add in 7 reb, 3.5 assists, 1.8 steals, 0.7 blocks.  All defensive team.  30+ minutes.  Mills gets phased out 10 min or less / game.    

On 7/21/2019 at 6:02 AM, Gile Pile said:

Not much imo.  Murray and White should be starters at guard positions and they compliment each other nicely. If anything they should improve each other value.

Murray was  All Defense second team and White finished 7th among guards in last year "all defense" votes (ahead of Buttler, CP, Westbrook...)

We all know how Pop likes his defense

How do they compliment each other when neither of them can shoot? How many playoff teams are starting a backcourt combo of two players shooting under 30% from three?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JStyles said:

How do they compliment each other when neither of them can shoot? How many playoff teams are starting a backcourt combo of two players shooting under 30% from three?

Not to mention the Spurs revolutionized the three before the Warriors ever came along.  Pop initially was against it but you can see early interviews of him talking about a motion offense.  It’s just funny now how they have DeRozan and LMA.   Now if they really do run out that duo it will be the worst three point shooting team in the league.  Ironic considering they were one of the first teams to revolutionize it and recruiting International players to run a motion offense has been their core ideology for twenty years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JStyles said:

Who cares, we are talking Spurs here.  It  really  does not matter.

Few facts from last season:

• team with highest 3P% - Spurs link
  • team with lowest 3P attempts - again Spurs link
  • three teams with lowest 3P attempts - Spurs, Clippers, Pacers all made playoffs last year
  • team with highest FG% - Warriors, Spurs are 2nd link

My points are:

• Spurs do not take bad, contested shots.  As long as you can hit an occasional open 3  and play good defense you are going to get playing time
  • In order to make playoffs you do not need to have lots of 3PA

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JStyles said:

None, and neither will the Spurs. 

Derrick White 36.1% career three point percentage. 

Dejounte Murray 31.5% career three point percentage.  

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

• three teams with lowest 3P attempts - Spurs, Clippers, Pacers all made playoffs last year

My points are:

• Spurs do not take bad, contested shots.  As long as you can hit an occasional open 3  and play good defense you are going to get playing time

And that's exactly what Murray / White will do.  Make the occasional open 3.  Their offense isn't predicated on iso / high usage jack up 3's.  Murray/White defense is too valuable and together they are a nightmare.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

My points are:

err yeah they were a decent three point shooting team because Murray didn't play all season, and their top four 3pt shooters were Forbes, Bertans, Mills and Belinelli - guys who will never share the court with Murray and White at the same time (and Bertans of course has left).

If you think Pop is going to roll out rotations with 5 guys who can't shoot threes and take away all the spacing DeRozan and LMA need for their midrange game, then lol.

On 8/11/2019 at 3:22 PM, hipriest69 said:

Chip.  Engellend.  That is all you need to know.  

Yup he is about to improve Murray’s shot like he did for Kawhi.

Most improved player right here.

Edited by Tekno Team 2000
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

Yup he is about to improve Murray’s shot like he did for Kawhi.

Most improved player right here.

And guess what...he's had a ton of time off to work on it as well!  Not only that, but Murray was 100% committed during the time he was injured - he was in every single film session and the organization and teammates view him as growing into one of the leaders / captains of the team.  

I watched a video of Murray draining 3 after 3 after 3. Yeah he could have missed 20 in a row before those makes... but his form looked phenomenal. He will get at least 1+ a game, I'd say 1.5. Shot looked pretty smooth. 

• Like 1

The hype seems appreciable with Murray this year. I'm seeing indications he could be preranked top 80, which in my competitive leagues means late fifth round is where you need to pick him to know you'll have him. I don't like him there as the massive profit potential is mostly bled out above 80 overall. In leagues where you can keep him for a lower salary he is a great upside play... but if you have to assume too much potential improvement has occurred to start the season then it's a lot tougher to be all-in on him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rando said:

The hype seems appreciable with Murray this year. I'm seeing indications he could be preranked top 80, which in my competitive leagues means late fifth round is where you need to pick him to know you'll have him. I don't like him there as the massive profit potential is mostly bled out above 80 overall. In leagues where you can keep him for a lower salary he is a great upside play... but if you have to assume too much potential improvement has occurred to start the season then it's a lot tougher to be all-in on him.

Damn that's way too high, even if you're punting assists / 3's / or points.  He's going all over the place, I wouldn't draft him until about pick 100 or later, but I think I'm starting to prefer White around the same pick as more of a 1/1/1 guy with more assist / points potential.  

• Like 2